1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Moto-Gear Zipper Repair in D.C./NOVA (or Near)?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Iron Cross Junction, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Iron Cross Junction

Iron Cross Junction Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Va.
    So, I have a pair of Hein-Gericke leather pants. Astonishingly, they still fit. :clap

But, since they are a POS item, after only 20 years of use, the zipper failed. :fpalm

Don’t go there; it’s a mechanical, not a “strain failure” issue. :D

Seriously, the zipper closer or whatever that gizmo is called just fell off. I am not smart enough to figure out how to reinstall it. Besides, suspect it needs to be replaced.

So, might anyone had experience with a leather-repair place doing this sort of thing on heavy moto-gear? Able to recommend a place to go to … or stay away from?

We live at the top of Virginia — the “Real Northern Virginia” :augie — but get into the other NOVA to visit grands, etc., fairly often.

Thanks.

Bill
  2. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
  3. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1. They do a good job.
    Iron Cross Junction likes this.
  4. Stasher1

Stasher1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any shoe repair place should be able to do it if you provide replacement zipper. They used to be in every mall but not anymore.

Talk to MFG many have a repair department.
  7. Hijack

Hijack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This may too late for the mentioned issue but if you have future needs I just used Waldorf Shoe Repair (just S of the junction of HY5 and 301) for a similar requirement and they did a great job for a fair price.
  8. Iron Cross Junction

Oddometer:
    Many thanks. Will file that.

I should have come back sooner with a back brief, but, per Chris's recommendation -- @Riteris -- I took mine into Bedo's Leather Works in Falls Church -- http://leatherrepair.com -- early last month.

Great folks.

The Main Guy told me that he might be able to "persuade" the slider. If so, <$30. If he needed to R&R assembly, c.$100+. OK'd both, but he called a few days later. "Come get 'e; $28." :clap

They are still there, darn it. Hard to get motivated to get into the MetroBlob. He said "No problem; whenever." Naturally, I'll up the $ for "storage." :-)

Bill
  9. Hijack

Hijack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. Last year I had the zipper replaced for over $100 on an old leather riding jacket that I mainly wear on my touring bike. That zipper was too light and failed within a few months. This fall I did some searching and found Waldorf Shoe Repair. He installed a heavy duty zipper that is awesome and re-soled a pair of Thursday boots both for $90. I will go there again for future repair needs. Safe riding....