Leaving 7 June from Arkansas and Heading to Alaska

Discussion in 'Americas' started by VETJET, Mar 6, 2019.

1. VETJET

VETJET Saved My Ass in 2018, Pun Fully Intended! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am departing from Arkansas on 7 June aboard my 1250 GSA heading to Alaska and the back to Arkansas over a three to four week period.

I have most things figured out with one exception. Do I ride up the Dalton to Prudhoe Bay or do I ride up the Dempster to Tuktoaktuc.

I would be interested in hearing your opinions on the pros and cons between the two routes.

Thank you!
    Kidder likes this.
  2. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Both are beautiful. Let the weather decide for you.
    TM1(SS), simestd, bobw and 1 other person like this.
  3. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both.
    Cal likes this.
  4. KSO

KSO Grab a Handfull

Oddometer:
    I've only been up the Dempster and only as far as the Circle due to weather. If I was to go back it would be back up the Dempster. The solitude of that area is amazing.
  5. Gordon

Gordon MC Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    @VETJET Weather permitting you can ride both of them. I rode them both in 2018. Dempster as far as Inuvik . The Tuk road was a bit mucked up. My ride down the Dempster was slow and slippery on the way down until Eagle Plains. The Dalton was pretty good both directions. Had a bit of rain and cold temperatures for part of the ride down the Dalton. Cleared up and the ride was perfect for the rest of the day. 1 day up and one day down for both roads. 1 night in Deadhorse 2 nights in Inuvik waiting for the weather to get better so I could go to Tuk. The weather just kept getting worse. So I came back down and went on in to Alaska and rode the Dalton.
    DisqoG and Cal like this.
  6. daBum

daBum Dave the Bum

Oddometer:
    Ditto on the weather affecting your route. Flexibility will be your companion.

Trust your instincts.

Have Fun!

Maybe an omelette or two, as well.

:-)
    TM1(SS) and Project Mayhem like this.
  7. VETJET

Oddometer:
    I have decided Tuktoyaktuk will be my destination.
    L.V., DisqoG, holckster and 1 other person like this.
  8. road hammer

road hammer have map will travel

Oddometer:
    have also done them both and the hands down choice for me is the dempster. far more scenic no pavement and doesn't end in an oil patch town that you can't actually ride to the end of the road. have already been inuvik to tiera del fuego, and all things going well will reach the actual end of North America by road at Tuk. in June also.
    L.V., eemsreno, slammer218 and 4 others like this.
  9. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    , ""
    ...1 day up and one day down ...."

Guys , be realistic ... As the Arctic crow flies , linea recta , straight as an arrow , non stop it is 700 km from the Stewart Crossing at the junction of the Whitehorse to Dawson City highway north to Tuktoyaktuk .

. Even with Summer's 24 hours of daylight you do need a rest occasionally so how many hours were you really staving off exhaustion in that ride? Did you really have time to stop and see the scenery other than something beyond your focus on the road ? Or was it a question of gritting your teeth and " git it over with " put a notch on the belt , outta there as fast as possible ?
    What is a realistic safe travel speed , and how may hours of riding , considering that tow trucks to lift you out of the muskeg are sort of a long wait .
    There are lots of different ends of North America if you are into collecting . Just find a dead end road . image.jpeg
    bobw and slammer218 like this.
  10. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    +1 on actually being able to reach the Arctic Ocean on the bike in Tuk.
  11. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    phreakingeek and Kaalsb like this.
  12. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 It's just a publicity posting by the tourism board , accurate enough, at the point in the path where it appears. And it says " drive" meaning in a car or motor home . If you want to "ride" a a bike a bit farther up that path go for it. Maybe that lane is considered private for the radio tower operators use only . ?
    I actually walked a bunch farther on a prepared path down to some of the ponds in my picture.

Still didn't explain how many hours it takes for the 700 km One Way
    to Tuk .
  13. VETJET

Oddometer:
    Being able to park the bike next to the arctic sea and jump was my deciding factor. I’m so excited to get going, 33 days until launch!
    L.V., eemsreno and DisqoG like this.
  14. DisqoG

DisqoG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey!
    Riding ‘18 Tiger 800 here.
    Leaving between 5/28-6/1 for Prudhoe Bay from NYC. Mostly camping. 1st layup Minn/StPaul.
    Entering Canada ND
    I think I’d like to ride with company. Interested?
    George
  15. VETJET

Oddometer:
    Hello George.

I will be in Northern Illinois on the 7th, on the 8th I plan to get the Iron Butt award doing 1,000 miles that day. I plan on crossing over into Canada in North Dakota, into Banff and then Jasper up.

Pushing miles quickly in the first days to allow for a slower pace and cushion farther north.

Plan to hotel the first few nights and then camp there after.

I would be up to riding together if we align on our timeline and route, but I will be going to Tuk not Pruhdoe.
  16. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    I in general agree with your sentiment and rode mostly 250-350 mile days in AK. That said, I have also on many trips enjoyed 16+/- hour days where I have stopped and smelled all the roses and barely covered 200 miles and also spent just as many or more hours covering twice the 400-500 +/- miles Gordon referenced due to it being a perfect day where it was fun and everything clicked. LOL, as well as when nothing clicked and I was beating a storm or other time crunches where it was just as easy to take an extra break or two, but press on rather stop "early". I think the objective variables like weather and road conditions (unless in a severe/terrible state) are far less impacting than the subjective issues making an individual rider happy. I ride with people that 3-4 hours is a long ride and that is fine, some sleep in and never camp as well as some that enjoy 70+ mph on gravel and still others that panic when a dirt pull off is encountered. I think it comes down to riding ones own ride, there are no wrong ways "to enjoy" (relative to capabilities) and a great example of why finding a good riding partner is harder to do than a significant other in many ways.

Safe travels :beer:beer
    Amphib and AwDang like this.
  17. VETJET

Oddometer:
    I agree, that is the beauty of riding dual sports. You can go wherever and however your skills and want will take you.

I have been riding on and off road since I was 10, racing motocross. road racing, enduro (before it became adventure riding) short and long distances, and through the years I have ridden with many different types of people. The first thing when riding with someone new I tell them to ride at their own pace if you ride faster wait for me at the next turn off and I will do the same if I am quicker, normally I’m the one waiting.

The key to it all is to enjoy your ride...

My trip to Tuk and beyond will all be 12 plus hour days of riding and I am comfortable with that and I know there are going to be a day of 1,000 miles and days with only 200 and each day is going to be awesome!!!

Beating cancer last year taught me to enjoy the moments some quick and pounding out miles which satisfies one side of my personality and some slow enjoying the beauty... I’m looking forward to all of the amazing moments ahead of me on my ride to The ArKtic on my Saved my Ass in 2018 Commemorative ride!!!

Yes ArKtic, Arkansas to the Arctic= ArKtic Expedition!
    L.V., phreakingeek, Amphib and 6 others like this.
  18. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Say hello to the crazy canuk when you see me fishing at the side of the road with my Super Sherpa 250 leaving Calgary June 8th but going up through High Level, Fort Simpson , Liard, then over to the Campbell and Dempster.
    TM1(SS) and phreakingeek like this.
  19. DisqoG

DisqoG Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Vet
    Seeing how I’ll be a bit ahead of you maybe meet up ND or entering Canada?
    Haven’t done long hauls think I’m good for about 450 interstate/ day. Going on another 4 day trial ride-camp to flesh it out my gear and time reqs - camp setup/breakdown and meals.
    Is Tuk on the Arctic Circle? I’m good!
    Email? DisqoG48@gmail
    George
  20. VETJET

Oddometer:
    I will be looking for you!!!
    Cal and DisqoG like this.