Leaving a bike on the street for a month...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nick2ny, Oct 9, 2019.

1. nick2ny

nick2ny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am travelling for a while and will leave my 2004 Aprilia Tuono 125 on the street. I don't have a cover for it.

Is some good wax and a bit of ACF-50 on it enough, or is a cover significantly better ? I don't think it will get stolen; I'm just curious about the benefits and downsides of a cover.

Thanks.

Arrow_system_with_Road_Kevlar_can_APRILIA_Tuono_125_2004_66116.jpg
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    It really depends. On a city street a cover is good to both hide what the bike is, and to keep bird crap, vehicle exhaust soot and other nasties off the bike. In a rural area the cover is still better than not, though maybe not as important. You can get covers from PepBoys, Walmart, Amazon atc. for $25. Not great, but way better than nothing.
  3. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bird doodie is the big one. I always cover the seat when I'm traveling just because of that.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  4. Granitic

Granitic Backcountry rider

Oddometer:
    Cover will shed contaminated water and dust. UV on rubber, plastics and vinyl.
  5. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go rent some garage space for a month.
  6. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Cover and get a big one.Rain will splash back up if it hits the ground with some force.And all the crap be it sand/dirt,or road salt will cover the sides of your bike.

Yeah bird shit.....I used to park at work that is by the ocean and under the lamp posts.Lots of Shithawks around.Bike always covered with an old cover ziptied in place.Old and not that waterproof which was a good thing as the condensation under the cover would vent out.

One of my fellow crewmembers came to work and parked next to me.New rider and rather proud of his V-Strom.I told him about parking next to the ocean and under the flying Shithawks.He took a big roll of commercial SaranWrap (Resinite 18") and 3M duct tape and wrapped his bike.All the way down to the ground.
  7. concours

concours WFO for 47 years

Oddometer:
    Plug that exhaust as well.
  8. 1Gopokes1

1Gopokes1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    bike locker will
  9. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check your local parking laws if this is a public street. Some areas restrict the length of time you can park before they tow the bike.
    BluByU and Morgan Steele like this.
  10. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    What a cool little bike! Don't leave it on the street for a month dude- 'cause it won't be there when you get back!
  11. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Cover will blow in the wind, and chafe the paint.

Your enemy here is not rain, but sun. And, to a lesser extent, dirty street splash.

I'd advise against a top-to-ground cover - that will trap moisture and beat against the bike in the wind. If at ALL possible, I'd try to get it off the street and into a shaded area. If not, I'd go with a half-cover - shield the sun, allow the breeze to blow through the bike from below, prevent trapped moisture.
    sieg likes this.
  12. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    If at all possible, a storage unit would be the best choice. A small one would work - and be worth it.
  13. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    Agree with the others in that the sun will probably be your worst enemy. Also echo what the others have said, get a cover and one with no mfr logos on it so it's less obvious that there's a nice bike underneath. Use an old beach towel and cover the painted parts before you put the cover on so the cover itself won't scratch the paint as the wind blows it around.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  14. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with Casey, a cover will flap around and do more damage than rain. As for sun...……...well no worse than riding it for a month. I don't let anything set outside, other than when traveling, but I'd never cover anything either.
  15. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I commuted probably half the year for 32 years, used various covers to keep the sun and bird crap off, never had an issue with a cover causing damage to paint, body panels, or windshields, even when the bike was dirty. I would never use a cover when on an open trailer, but I don't foresee a problem while parked.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  16. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a couple of cheap covers off of ebay for my bikes. LOVE them. They have straps that keep them from flying off in the wind. The have vents at the top corners (mirrors) to vent out moisture. Elastics to go over the wheels. Large grommets for locks. Some cheapies are better than others. Been using them for 2 years now. Including getting partially buried in the winter.

Not sure how I feel about leaving my bike on the street for a month. Actually I know I would not feel good about that. But I do like my cover.
    20190315_141314.jpg
  17. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    Shrink wrap like on boats? :hmmmmm
  18. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most places will have it towed off. Locally I think it is a 48 hour limit and it has to move at least 0.1 miles after that.
    Location also matters. What is the weather like?

I'm not worried about it sitting outside for a month. Sitting on the street for a month is the bigger issue I have. But maybe that is acceptable in your part of the woods. I have never lived in a place that I could get away with that. I would be looking for a friends back yard, a storage locker, even a storage yard.
  19. bisbonian

bisbonian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Years back I covered mine for the winter. Springtime comes and I uncover the bike to find the cover had rubbed all the way down through the paint in a number of areas.

A poor job of covering can be worse than no cover at all.
    sieg likes this.
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Crap paint. The only time I have ever seen a cover damage paint is if it was put on over a bunch of dirt. Other than using a cover when towing, that is it.