Leaving for Alaska 8/4

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by justJeff, Jan 12, 2006.

1. justJeff

justJeff Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm going to be leaving the Northwest on August 4 for a trip to Alaska. I plan to take the Cassiar, side trip to Hyder, Top of the World, Taylor Hwy. up to Eagle, back down taylor through Chicken, etc. I spent most of my life in Alaska and am a veteran of several Alcan trips. I plan to go up the haul road, spend some time around Galbraith lake, get in some two track type riding as well in the Interior. I have my ferry reservations for August 19th to leave out of Haines.

It would be great to have some company for the trip, or to hook up with anyone already up there for some food and beer, or beer and beer, or beer. Having spent so much of my life up there I can show someone some sides of Alaska that they might not otherwise see, and introduce them to some great folks. I plan to take it pretty easy and flexible, spending time in some motels, and camping some too. About the longest day I'm planning on is under 500 miles.

Whether it's a trip you've done and want to do again, or just a trip you've always wanted to make, drop me a pm or whatever, and let's go.
  2. RDJEff

RDJEff Lost in Alaska

Oddometer:
    I'm sure we could put a ride together! Check in before you get here and we'll get together.
  3. justJeff

justJeff Banned

Oddometer:
    Cool, I'll let you know when I'm in the area, I'll have web access in Fairbanks. I lived in Fairbanks for 30 years, but it's been a few since I've been back.
  4. Faustus

Faustus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll keep my eye on your posts. I grew up in Fairbanks/North Pole and plan on riding there this summer with a few buddies to hit PB from Seattle. I've driven up several times but never ridden from the lower 48 so I am really looking forward to the ride. I am still trying to key in a departure date but at the moment it looks like either late July or early August. Would love to hook up with a few locals around Fairbanks to hit some good trail riding, maybe some grub and of course a few nice cold beers. Redd Fox is always a cool place to meet up for beer and beer:freaky, much better than the old Badger Den and Arctic Lanes LOL.

Never been to Galbraith lake Jeff thanks for the tip any other suggestions are always appreciated since most of the time I was driving and most of my dirt riding was around Faribanks and North Pole as a kid although we used to have quite a bit of fun around Paxson and Summit lakes....oh man is Arctic Man still going on...nothing like a bunch of crazy drunk alaskans hitting Matanuska Thunderfek and then ridin the tits:lol3

Santiago
  5. justJeff

justJeff Banned

Oddometer:
    It sounds like I might be hooking up with another advrider and heading up there with some company. Hooking up for a good meal or two, and a beer or twelve would be great. Wow, I haven't know too many folks that would even remembert the Badger Den! I graduated from North Pole High School in 1981.

The area around Summit Lake and Paxon is one of my most favorite in the whole world. One you get out of Delta heading towards Paxon I think it's all truly God's country. There is some great single track and dual track around Donnley Dome. I really enjoy that area.

Arctic Man is still an annual event, though I guess there isn't much snow this year. Things like Arctic Man and the Outhouse races at Chatinika are the type of things that make Alaska so unique.

Stay in touch and let me know where you'll be and when. I was fortunate to hear from another advrider from the NW area, and I'm betting that we'll be making the trip up together. It would be great to get together.