leaving for the TAT next month, bad idea??

Discussion in 'Americas' started by SAFETYFIFTH, Mar 3, 2009.

1. SAFETYFIFTH

SAFETYFIFTH Let's Rip Lip!

Oddometer:
    thanks for the tips pablo, im leaving AR on the 18th, and from what ive already seen the weather is going to be the deciding factor on wither i stick to the TAT or have to take roads. but TAT or not i will make sure to try to meet up with ya in moab. How is that looking? got any set dates?

Also I have a spot messenger, that i have on at all times when im riding. If anybody would like to track me here is the page:

www.tinyurl.com/spotaaron

the pass is: adventure
  2. Pablo83

Pablo83 Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer:
    I've got from Apr 28th- May 19th open for Moab. Nice Spot gadget, I've heard a lot about them.
  3. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    I have been following your thread and wondered how it was going. You will look back and laugh about all this years from now. Good luck and let us know when you can.

John
  4. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    What do you mean it hasn't been going as planned??? :brow You planned an adventure... and you're having one! :thumb

I'd have to say that the "adventure" part of adventure riding is almost always painful suffering, stressful, and unpleasant. The other pretty scenery, easy riding, no breakdowns or drama parts... well, that's just vacation. :deal Anyone can do that.

Chin up, when it's really rough going... it can only get better. :wink:
  5. rpritch

rpritch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well glad to see the trip is started and going decent so far... Well keep us posted with post's and pic's and when you get close to the panhandle are give me shout...

Stay safe!!!:clap
  6. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    Well, All I have to say is that you made it to Ar-kansas in one piece and no problems. Rain isnt a problem its a minor inconvenience. But I know how you feel riding a long ways in the rain. I rode from Chattanooga, TN to Jackson, MS THROUGH tropical storm Faye this past summer. That was really fun. But as soon as I got infront of the storm, it was like a lightswitch with the sun. Hopefully thats how you're trip will be. A little wet at the beginning but miles of smiles after.

Be safe. Oh and link us to your ride report (signature line is a good place).
  7. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    ahh more problems, its always something i guess...

so as i may have already said, my dad is going to come with me on his klr for the rest of AR and all of OK. Well yesterday we went outside to prep his bike, change his rear tire, check bolts. All the normal crap you do before a big ride. Thats when he noticed aluminum flakes on the left side of his swingarm. Pulled the wheel off and saw this. I almost shit.

[​IMG]

Ya this is supposed to be a ball bearing:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So tomorrow my dad and I are getting up early and going to all the kawi dealers and see what we can do. We are supposed to leave saturday.

On a side note though, this old laptop i bought is SWEET!! I absolutely love this thing. Its going to be so helpful keeping in touch with the family, posting questions here and of course posting pics. :D
  8. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    on another note. His chain is trashed, but hes to cheap to replace it. And of course hes so stubborn anything i say im wrong. Even though im a factory trained harley davidson mechanic. Same ol dad...

Hope it doesnt cause prolbems down the road.
  9. Pablo83

Oddometer:
    Ouch. What happened?
  10. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    hes a dumbass.

When he changed tires about 10,000 miles ago he left out the inner spacer PN- 42036. So after riding like that for thousands of miles 601a disengrated which is the remainer of that bearing pictured. Also trashed is part 92143b. I dont have much expierence with the klr hub. Im hoping the kawi place can just pound out the old cage thats still in the hub and press a new bearing in and install a new snap-ring. Whatever we do, its gunna have to be a quick fix.

[​IMG]
  11. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    what really gets me is that how can anybody with any common sense see a leftover spacer from your wheels and say "ah fuck it, it cant be important"

I mean come on, its a wheel spacer!!! Of course its important!!!! :asshat
  12. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Yeah you only have two wheels. Kinda important to have them working correctly. The cost of failure while riding can be very high.

On the other hand it is a KLR! :rofl
  13. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    well, just got back from the dealer. had to order a new hub. Parts should be here friday. Talk about last minute
  14. rpritch

rpritch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well better luck than mine would run... would be back ordered, shipping company loose them then arrive the 10th of never!!!:rofl Well enjoy trip, give me shout when you start getting close to the panhandle area...
  15. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    ya thats whats nice about real common bikes. KLRs, DRs etc.. There is a dealership in every medium-large sized town. I really like the TE610. But there isnt even a dealership in my state!!
  16. Pablo83

Oddometer:
    take your time fixing that hub. You're going to want to wait this storm out.

My back porch:
    [​IMG]
  17. mdsn969

mdsn969 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn bud that hub is fixable (spoken like a true KLR rider). Step away from the Kawasaki dealer and head over to the local bearing supply house (the bearing number should be etched on the outer race, it is on the inner race on some bearings, all manufacturers use standard bearings so getting them not an issue). I would replace all of the bearings with sealed bearings, button it back up and you should be good to go. They should also have snap rings that will be at least close enough to work... ...and put a chain and sprockets on it while you are at it :D

Good luck on your ride.
  18. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    Son of a bitch!! Its still going to be a few days till i get to colorado. Its looking like im going to have to leave here sunday the 19th. There is a 70% chance of rain and thunderstorms for saturday. and im not leaving in the rain.

I really hope by the time i get to CO its decent weather. We are going to stop in waynoka, OK and ride the little sahara sand dunes for a few days so, along with that and doing the rest of arkansas and of course finishing oklahoma. It will probaly be the 28-29 before im in CO. Those dates are just guessing though. Weather is going to be a big factor on when i get out that way. Ive already got a reroute planned for CO to avoid the high passes. It starts in salida and ends in la sai ut. Then from there im heading into moab.
  19. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    The parts came in thursday for my dads bike. The hub wasnt to bad. like 120 dollars. We thought about getting the rest of the old bearing out and pressing in new bearings. We couldnt even get the snap ring out. The outer edge of the hub was pressing so hard against it it snapped two different snap ring pliers. And even then we dont have a press. We were SOL. and with the new hub it came ready to go all he had to do was drop it in. So given the situtition i think it was the best choice. The main reason hes being so cheap about replacing stuff is he plans to sell the bike after he gets back from this little trip. So i understand his thinking behind the chain. I just hope it doesnt fuck us over later on.
  20. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:

d00d, yer doing it all wrong!

Stay away from the sand and don't miss the high passes! :lol3

It's a shame you can't go a few months later to ride those CO passes.

Have a great ride and keep us informed. Don't forget to take lots of pics.