leaving for the TAT next month, bad idea??

Discussion in 'Americas' started by SAFETYFIFTH, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Pablo83

Pablo83 Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer:
    I'll be in Moab the 1st-3rd. I'll have to be back here during the week, but I can come out again on the 8th-10th. My official vacation got pushed back till the end of next month, so I won't have weekdays free for a while.
  2. SAFETYFIFTH

SAFETYFIFTH Let's Rip Lip!

Oddometer:
    if you are going to be in moab the 1-3rd that may work out perfect depending on how long it takes me to get through colorado.
  3. rpritch

rpritch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey be careful at waynoka playing on the sand w/ bike... can screw up a trip real quick in that sand... It is way tough on bikes expecially with knobies... It will really depend on how dry the sand is i guess... if you can catch it right after a rain prob be pretty good... but if it is still dry... It can eat up a bike and componets in a hurry... I have some buddies down there this weekend for rattle snake roundup, I'll find out what sand and dunes are like and post back... GL on trip...
  4. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    thank you!
  5. rpritch

rpritch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Waynoka and little sahara are great places... if there during week and sand wet ought to be able to get out and ride the dunes... u will have to have a flag on the bike... one of local shops should be able to hook you up w/ that... Campgrounds there are decent... hot shower... kind of like carwash... drop your quarter, get some water... grounds pretty clean, decent sites to camp in... ect ect ect... be carefull when riding on dunes always some idiot there balls to the wall over the top of dune w/0 making sure someone else not on other side... during week shouldn't be hardly anyone there... weekends can get crazy as all get out there... will see everything from 100k buggies to crack heads... but all in all... most everyone there is cool and out to just have a good time...
    :1drink
  6. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info, we will need to pick up some flags.
  7. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    Just like that its done.

yesterday I got some pretty bad news, so the best decision i could make was to cancel the trip and use what little money I have to my name and get a new life going here in arkansas.

So now I have to try to find a way to get my stuff out of storage in georgia and get it all up here and of course find another job.
    Ill do the TAT someday, I will always have the maps. Just right now its not going to be possible.

Thanks so much for all the help and suggestions you guys gave me. It helped more than you would ever know. Pablo, sorry about canceling so soon to moab. This was totally unexpected.

-Aaron
  8. mdsn969

mdsn969 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aaron,

Sorry to hear that you had bad news. You can always do the trip another time. I hope all is well with you and yours...

JMS
  9. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    thank you. I appericate the kind words.
  10. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear the news.

I was hoping to meet you when you got here.

Oh well, I think we all learned a lot from your planning thread.
  11. Pablo83

Oddometer:
    sorry to hear about the trip cancelation. is there anything you need?
  12. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    Well if anybody has a decent used truck for sale that would be extremely helpful. The closer to Little Rock the better, I cant really afford to drive halfway across country. Im really tight on funds. Im actually going to use the rest of my trip money on a truck, so after that ill be pretty much broke. That means a job :(: I was really looking forward to these 4 months of no work. My plan is to get a decent truck and then borrow my dads trailer and drive back down to GA and get all my stuff out of storage, then come back home and live with the parents and help them out with bills, keeping up with the house and all that. While thats a bit humiliating Im only 21 so i can still get away living with the parents. Ive been on my own since i was 18 but times are tough for them, they haved helped me my entire life, so its time i help them a little

A friend of mine is planning a trans lab highway ride in july. Im going to do my best to go with him, getting my ride togther for months and months has got me in the adventure mindset so I gotta do something!!

Here is the link to my WTB truck thread, if anybody has anything:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454959
  13. Pablo83

Oddometer:
    If a Blazer will work for you, this guy's got one for the right price. But it needs a tranny. If you're interested, we can tow it to my place with my truck and replace the tranny. Since he's moving to Alabama and you need to go back to GA, maybe he will let you borrow his bike holder thingy and you can deliver it to AL later. Or you could get a trailer. Lots of logistical things to work out, but if you can roll with it everything will work out. And we can hit some trails while you're here.
  14. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    that looks really promising, i could just rent a uhaul trailer in CO and pull my bike back to AR in it. I wonder what a trans would cost and how long it would take to fix/ or swap in a new tranny. I have no idea about tranny work on a vehicle.

Gunna send him a PM and try to get some more info on it.

Thanks paul.

I have a lead on a truck or two locally. Im waiting on some more info and pics. So things are looking up
  15. Pablo83

Oddometer:
    The last time I dropped a trans out of something it was on a forklift. That was kindof a big job. I've only dropped one out a truck once. If you had a rebuilt tranny ready to go, I'm guessing it's a two day job. Maybe one, but I'd plan on two to be safe.
  16. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    after thinking about it me going to CO and driving back here is just to much driving. Then after that id still have to drive to georgia. I need to find something local.

Im going to be out of town till next weekend so after i get back to arkansas the serious truck search begins. I want to get my shit from storage and get all this over with. Its been extremely hard coming to terms with everything that has happenend the last few days. Ive felt it all, from shock to saddness to dissapointment to anger. Im ready to just get settled in here at my parents and focus on going foward.
  17. iphorde

iphorde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If anyone is interested, we're looking for other riders to go with us for part of TAT and then up Shadow of Rockies in the end of June, Begining of July.

We're located in DFW area.
  18. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bet that thing rocks in the single track..