1. eNewsletter Sign Up

leaving for the TAT next month, bad idea??

Discussion in 'Americas' started by SAFETYFIFTH, Mar 3, 2009.

1. SAFETYFIFTH

SAFETYFIFTH Let's Rip Lip!

Oddometer:
    I absolutely agree with you on this. My GF and i just got in a bit of a argument over the subject of being prepared. I told her if i need any additional snacks or water or another shirt or whatever i can get it on the road. She seems to think that i need to carry everything single thing on the bike with me.

Anyway.... off to the store to get some stuff. Ill post back with what I can get.

Thanks everybody for all the help. Beers on me! :freaky
  2. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    We've done a fair amount of stealth camping along the TAT. Usually near a fresh water source (stream). Having the water filter has been essential. We use the katadyn hiker pro:

[​IMG]

Packs small, works great.

I also agree with ditching the jeans. Also, there are NOT a lot of fast food opportunities along the TAT. Also, just as you can mail stuff back, you can pick up swim trunks or jeans somewhere if you really feel you can't live without them.

I also agree with the comments regarding your tools. Consolidate and lighten. You've got about 6 different ways of wrenching a 10mm bolt (two crescents, box wrench (both sides), vice grips (two), ratchet and socket...
  3. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    I dont know if its been said yet... but if there is anything that you wont need until later on, you are stopping at meeting family along the way too, so send stuff to them....

Oh and another point that I meant to make earlier... if you were at all bringing cooking gear, you can boil water instead of packing the filter.... if you really needed it. Otherwise, you can do like we did in Mexico... buy 1L- 1.5L bottles and strap em down. You can get em every time you get gas.
  4. Pablo83

Pablo83 Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer:
    I 3rd the motion. My first long hike was 72 miles of the Appalachian Trail with two high school buddies. We wore blue jeans and sneakers. My first multi-week bike trip was on a poorly maintained Yamaha XS650 with no tread left on the rear tire. And Ed Hillary climbed Everest with hemp ropes. We would all do thing differently today, but there were no regrets on any of these trips.
  5. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    back from the store.

cut my underwear down from 4 cotton pair. Now i have 2 synthetic and 1 cotton. Its amazing how much smaller and tighter the synthetic will roll up compared to the cotton. Also got rid of one of the long sleeve cotton shirts, now have a synthetic long sleeve shirt. much better

I added some more ear plugs, i will pick more up on the road if needed.

Dr. Rock and larryboy. Thanks for pointing out the tools. Im going to go over them and definitely trim down.

If you cant tell, this is my first big adv ride. Ive grown up on dirt bikes but this kind of stuff is new to me. You guys have been soooo helpful. :clap
  6. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    Well on top of taking out what i said above, i also took out the jeans :D , in their place i put a pair of dickies. they may not be much better in the fabric dept. but they roll up to half the size!
    I also got rid of 2 pairs of socks. I also took some of the extra tools out of the tool bag.

Now I can get ALL the clothes in one saddle bag. Leaving the other open for my stove and the tool bag! Both sides are pretty heavy, so they kinda balance out.

So that leaves me with my tank bag pretty much empty. Im going to break it down and post a pic here soon.

-Oh and i got my rain gear to fit in my givi case now that my tool bag doesnt have to be in there.
  7. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:

go buy 1 pair of these and start wearing them around to see how you like them I suspect it won't take long before you get more:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.rei.com/product/604590
  8. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    If money is tight, you might want to check out Sierra Trading Post. The same socks listed above are less than $10. Great deals at about 50%-60% the price at REI. Lots of other sythethic gear also.

Kenny
  9. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    saturday im going to fully load the bike. gear and all and go on a 180 mile ride. Mix in some dirt roads and freeway, and see how the bike handles, make some running changes. Then that night im going to camp out and see how everything works off the bike.

I leave for the tat in a week and a half!!
  10. LaOutbackTrail

Oddometer:
    Awesome man. Practice some stealth camping if you at all possible.

:thumb

Remember, Davy Crockett killed him a bear when he was only three.
  11. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    I hope it warms up quick in Colorado, theres ALOT of snow over here right now. :eek1:lol3
    I've got to be in denver in the am and just got tired of fighting the crap. Sop what better way to spend an eve, before bed.
    Reading TAT preps on advrider.
  12. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    Last night in bed I had a thought about packing strategy, and I was sure I would forget it by this morning, but I didn't. :D

The short version is: Pack such that for any likely worst-case weather scenario, you should have no unused clothing left in your bags.

Check the historic average daily low temps for the areas you'll be riding through for the weeks you'll be riding there. There are several sites where the info is available... here's data about Salida, CO from weather.com, fer instance.

Now, pack sufficient clothes, so that if you're riding in that temperature, and you layer every article of clothing you brought, you'll be OK. We travel in May and Sept, and routinely deal with mornings in the 30's. We don't have heavy parkas or sweaters or really anything bulky. It's all about multiple thin layers.

From the inside - out:
    Tech wicking base short-sleeve t-shirt, silk long sleeve t-neck, thin wool long-sleeve crew neck, thin cashmere/silk cable-knit sweater, thin zip-up fleece, armored air-mesh jacket, (or rock-gardn pressure suit), rain/wind shell, neck fleece. That there is toasty, even at 50mph.

On the bottoms; exofficio boxer-briefs, medium poly or thin silk long-johns, knee pads, padded shorts, thin zip-off convertible EMS pants, O'neil riding pants, wind/rain overpants (full side-zip version).

Aside from an extra pair or two of undies/socks, when it's that cold, there are NO extra clothes in my bags, they're all on me. In temps warmer than the avg. daily low, you peel off layers, and you then have multiple options for what to wear if you're going to a restaurant, or whatever. What I'm not wearing gets packed and compressed into a 3L and a 5L Sea to Summit Evac waterproof compression sacks. We stop at a laundromat once a week or so, naked under our rain gear, and everything else gets washed & dried.

If at all possible, be prepared to drop some coin on these high tech silk gore wool etc, clothes. You don't need many pieces, but they can be pricey. I understand the :bow Edmund Hillary angle, but he also had sherpas, and who's to say he was as comfortable then as he could be today. This gear will be your constant and close companion, and will likely see you through some tough times. Splurge a little, and when things get ugly, it will pay you back in spades. Same goes for tools.
  13. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    here is what the bike looks like with everything. It doesnt leave much room for me.

[​IMG]

Its a good thing i upgraded the subframe bolts huh? haha
  14. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    dr. rock, thanks for the suggestions. While packing like that is a good idea. Im going to be taking at times weeks off from the road staying with family/ friends. I kinda need to have extra clothes for when im not riding. It would get old wearing the same thing for weeks at a time. know what i mean? I can see it now. I have the same wore out shirt on in pictures with my mom in arkansas and my grandpa in california. :rofl
  15. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:
    2 things come to mind....Wind resistance and high center of gravity. If you can swing it I would get something like a wolfman adventure duffle....and ditch your top box. This will keep the weight a lot lower on the bike and more streamlined:

[​IMG]

or some of these which would work well with your top case:

[​IMG]

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expedition/expedition_saddle_bags.html
  16. Pablo83

Pablo83 Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't drop the top case. If this setup's uncomfortable try replacing that duffel with a much larger one, like the Wolfman, or REI sells some really big duffels. Get one about the width of the saddlebags and move the stuff off the top into the new bag. I've ridden this way a good bit. If you stuff more stuff into the sides of the duffel then you can make a nice little recess for your back and you'll have a sweet little back rest.

[​IMG]
  17. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:

ahhh thanks for the suggestions. No REI around here. Ill see what i can find locally. I dont have enough time to order something offline.

note, that arrow is pointing to my drybag that has my sleeping bag in it, not a duffle. I have a gigantic sleeping bag, it wouldnt fit anywhere else. and i cant afford to buy another sleeping bag.

Can you guys recommend a place that i would be able to get a good duffle bag from??
  18. Froggystyle

Froggystyle Mid-Level Functionary

Oddometer:
    Didn't have time to read the whole thing after page two, but ditch the jeans and the shorts, and go get some Columbia travel pants that zip into shorts. They are awesome. They don't easily get dirty, save a bunch of space and roll up super tight. And... you have shorts!

Get travel underwear (synthetic) and plan on hitting a laundromat once and reduce your sock load by 1/2. Landromats are easy, and everywhere...
  19. LaOutbackTrail

Oddometer:
    Ehhhh doooood. :huh

If that load isnt working out when you get to Arkansas, give me a ring. I've got one of the wolfman duffles (not the water proof one) That you could borrow.

It really does get old and annoying adjusting your load constantly...
    [​IMG]
    Thats just a duffle, windshield and sleeping pad on the back...
  20. LaOutbackTrail

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Notice my bike exploded in the background?? Thats just so I could get in my side bags and to my tools that were under the red bag...