1. eNewsletter Sign Up

leaving for the TAT next month, bad idea??

Discussion in 'Americas' started by SAFETYFIFTH, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Pablo83

Pablo83 Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer:
    What part of GA are you in? Try a sporting goods place like Dick's or Academy if they have those down there. Those dry bags take up a lot of space. If you can find a big duffel then you can put your sleeping bag in a trash bag and then put it in hte duffel. You only need that dry bag if you plan to completely submerge the bike at a deep water crossing.:lol3
  2. SAFETYFIFTH

SAFETYFIFTH Let's Rip Lip!

Oddometer:

Outback, thank you for the offer of the dry bag. Very kind of you.

I did a search for sporting goods around where i live. (brunswick) closest place that actually had a selection is in FL. I went to walmart and found a pretty nice duffel. Im going to load it up tomorrow and ill post a pic. Its almost the perfect length from saddle bag to sadle bag. and its water-proof.

Thanks for all the help guys, I wouldnt have imagined when i started this thread how much help I would have gotten.
  3. arroyoshark

arroyoshark Needing some space

Oddometer:
    Just drove up from NM, through western Colorado, Monticello, Moab, Green River Ut. Temps were only in the 40's here, but we had a system just blow through. Hear there is another one gathering some steam to come through next week. Staying in Price, UT tonight.

The San Juan mountains and the Manti-LaSal mountains are still very white. Lot's of dual-sport bikes in the Moab area tho.
  4. Pablo83

Oddometer:
    Hey shark, if you're going to be in the area a while and you like hotrods you should head down to Bo Huff's place. He builds some amazing stuff. He's in Dragerton (AKA Sunnyside, AKA East Carbon (I don't know why one small town has so many names)). I could only find a small pic of his shop:

[​IMG]

But you can't miss it. It's on the right as you drive into town and it's the only interesting looking building in town.
  5. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    got the duffle bag on the bike. The thing is huge! Everything that was behind me is now in the duffle. Plus some more stuff, with the extra room i could get my camelback in there and a bit more food. (granola, oatmeal) I havent had a chance to ride it with this set up yet. Maybe later today.

Sorry for the living room pic, going completely over the bike so i brought it inside. Ill take some better ones outside.

[​IMG]

The sleeping bag is just too fucking big. Its taking up most of the room in the duffle, i may be getting a better one when i stop in arkansas to see the folks. little rock has a better selection then what i have around here.
  6. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    Since it seems you are clued in to keeping gear dry, I would HIGHLY recommend a down sleeping bag. We've each got two of these (great price). Two left and two right hand zips. Huge versatility. Put one inside the other, and you're warm to just below freezing. Wear all your clothes, and/or zip them together and share with company, and you can go much lower. If it's summer, we just take one each. They are INCREDIBLY small when packed in the included compression sack. Think nerf football size -- 9"x4". Other similar options @ Sierra Trading Post.

Good luck with your trip. My predictions: 1. you will send your fancy clothes ahead to your relatives so you don't have to carry them. 2. Your huge sleeping bag will be ditched by Little Rock, if not before. :thumb
  7. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:

+1. the Down sleeping bag is the way to go. If you look at www.rei.com you can see what they have. Prices vary from about $150 to $300 for a 3 season bag. You will want something in the 15 to 25 degree rating for spring/fall/summer camping. There are a lot of good options in the $200 range. Also I recommend you shell out the extra $15 for an REI membership. You pay it once and it lasts your lifetime. The good thing is it opens up a few more sale options and you get a 10% dividend on everything you buy. So if you buy a $200 bag this year then next year you get a $20 dividend check in the mail or a credit at REI for $20.
  8. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:

very cool!
  9. Pablo83

Oddometer:
    When I got my REI membership they gave me something like %20 off my first purchase (only 1 item I think). I think they still do that, so on a big ticket item like a nice sleeping bag the membership pays for itself. I've bought a lot from them and I've always been pleased.
  10. arroyoshark

arroyoshark Needing some space

Oddometer:

Laying over in La Grande, OR tonight, headed for Portland. I have an REI membership but have never gotten a decent deal on bags from them. I have purchased a few bags from www.campmor.com at better pricing for brand names like Kelty.
  11. DocAxeYarYar

DocAxeYarYar RideDualSport.com

Oddometer:
    is awesome, I spend hours scoping Ebay, and in the end, buying from REI was the best deal, shipped free to my local REI store, and they have a great return policy.
    Keep us posted on your trip....I love Arkansas in the Little Rock and Mena areas, been mountain biking there a lot. We are doing a TAT trip in June too.
  12. Pablo83

Oddometer:
    your ride looks much sturdier without all the stuff piled on top. I think after 30 minutes of cruising stuff will shift around in your duffel and give you more back room.
  13. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:

ya, it seems much better, i havent got a chance to ride with this setup yet. its been raining all day and night, hopefully ill get out there tomorrow. Gotta hit some dirt. Also I havnt had a chance to camp off the bike yet either. Dam rain.
  14. Pablo83

Oddometer:
    Why not test it in the rain? It'll give you some time to think about whether you should bring rain gear.:D
  15. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:

good point. It should be fun riding with this setup in the dirt. I need to get used to it.
  16. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    Yeah, go ride it in the mud.

Remind me, hast much of the eastern part of Tenn been paved?
  17. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:

Yes they say something like 75% of it is paved.
  18. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    Mostly in TN, still beautiful riding, and a great way to ease into the TAT.
  19. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:

oh my apologizes. I meant tennessee
  20. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:

your setup is ok if you are going to be seated the entire trip....however if you get to some sections where standing on the pegs is better then that stuff can be a pain. But I think you have made a lot of improvements and you are just going to have to ride and adjust as you go. When you get back give us a trip report and an update on what you kept, rearranged etc.