leaving for the TAT next month, bad idea??

Discussion in 'Americas' started by SAFETYFIFTH, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Vinnie the Snake

Vinnie the Snake Long timer

Oddometer:
    PM me if you need help in the Tulsa Area, or need bike support.

That load is going to be a killer out West, Might want to looses some of it on the way.

Good Luck
  2. rpritch

rpritch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey just thought let you know what possiblities you might see out my way while on your trip... I am in Oklahoma panhandle and local sayings go if you don't like weather right now wait 15 mins it'll change... have gone from 73 for high on thursday to a foot of snow and high 26 on friday... with 3 and 4 foot drifts all over... anyways out here have seen heavy snows as late as may and 1st weekend of may is bad 3 out of 4 years... last year nice so expect something that weekend... Well just some fyi for you and your trip... gl on it... if need any help or support while in this area send me pm and i'll send you a number to call me at...

glgl on your trip...
  3. SAFETYFIFTH

SAFETYFIFTH Let's Rip Lip!

Oddometer:

Thanks for the heads up. Im expecting some bad weather.

I may have some company at the start of the trail, then my dad is going with me for a few days when i get to arkansas. after Oklahoma im pretty much alone then. So for a little while anyways ill have somebody to help pick my bike up haha.

Im getting anxious, nervous, second guessing myself. I leave in 5 days.
  4. rpritch

rpritch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well wishing you all the luck on your trip... sounds like be fun and great trip... When are you planning on being in this area... I may join you for day or 2... if not least enjoy a good lunch here with you and maybe ride on to the new mexico colorado boarder... since only a short distance from here...
  5. Pablo83

Pablo83 Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer:
    What's stopping you from leaving now?
  6. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    my apt lease, finishing up packing. Spending time with the GF before i go. All the packing and moving shit to the storage shed is a real hassle when you dont own a pickup, or hell even a car for that matter.
  7. Pablo83

Oddometer:
    Isn't that what the GF is for? No, wait, she's for something else. BTW, stock up on plenty of that before you go.
  8. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:

its actually been really hard coming to terms that i wont see her for four months. It was all cool when it was mearly talk. But there is no hiding the fact that in 5 days, im going to be gone a long long time.
  9. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    May as well call it quits face to face than over the phone.:dunno
  10. kg4lho

kg4lho Outside Sellin'

Oddometer:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SAFETYFIFTH
    All the packing and moving shit to the storage shed is a real hassle when you dont own a pickup, or hell even a car for that matter.

Isn't that what the GF is for? No, wait, she's for something else. BTW, stock up on plenty of that before you go.

Sammiches? :lol3
  11. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:

easier said than done.

Just checked the 10 day forecast. 60% chance of rain sunday when i planned to be in jellico to start the trail. Shit. might have a change of plans and start the trail on saturday.
  12. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    Try and do it to where you are riding in rain and not setting up camp in the rain. That really sucks.
  13. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    well im trying to make it where the first day i dont hit any rain. just to make it easier on me, trying to follow the roll chart and deal with everything.

I got it worked out so that i will be starting the trail saturday morning. Im guessing at the latest ill be starting the trail around 11am
  14. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    well everybody. This maybe my last post for a while. My internet gets shut off tomorrow and i turn my apt key in. I am then homeless. Pablo, ill give ya a call when im near moab. I hope we can meet up.

Thanks everybody for all the help! Ill post updates from time to time when i can get to a computer.
  15. Pablo83

Oddometer:
    Have fun
  16. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Safetyfifth - I hope you read this before you set off - good luck!

I've just ridden the Arkansas to Utah sections myself over the past three weeks...

Yes Tennessee was a total washout so I skipped that and visited the Jack Daniel's Distillery and Memphis (uh huh x), but from Arkansas onwards I was blessed with good weather (albeit windy) and dry trails...

Once you get into Colorado though, anything much further north than La Veta will be too snowy.

I cut across southern Colorado on hwy 160 to Durango (a lovely road ride in itself), then picked up the TAT again near Dove Creek (hwy 491), although you won't get across Geyser pass/La Sal at this time of year either...

I was fortunate to ride the Colorado and Utah sections last October when they were still open, so this time I headed south across Utah (as I'm on my way back to Vegas anyway now) - there is some fantastic dirt riding around hwy 95 south of Canyonlands, and check out the trails north of Bullfrog on the way over to Boulder UT if you're going that way - awesome scenery and great desert and backroad highway riding!

If you are planning on heading south after Moab, I'd definitely check out the area west of Blanding before you head for Phoenix... (although Elk Ridge Road and anything else over 8000ft is currently snow bound unfortunately). Certainly give CR229 down Comb Ridge a go - it's stunning!

Have fun!

JennyMo xxx
  17. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:

Ahh thank you for the tips.

To my knowledge at la veta the trail doesnt go any more north, doesnt it generally head down from there? Idk, i may be totally wrong.

To avoid snow in the high passes i have a reroute starting in saladia, CO and ending in Moab!! How does this look guys??

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Salida,+Colorado&daddr=38.226314,-107.7285+to:La+Sal,+Ut+to:Moab,+ut&hl=en&geocode=&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=11&via=1&rtol=0,2,3&sll=38.294248,-107.757339&sspn=0.426813,0.890579&ie=UTF8&ll=38.535276,-109.334564&spn=0.425392,0.890579&z=11

I dont plan on heading south in moab. would you recommend that? I planned to head south towards phoenix in kanosh, UT.
  18. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    but of coruse. along the way if i come along impassible weather. I will reroute and head south and pick the trail back up if i can.
  19. Pablo83

Oddometer:
    Those roads are great, but everything in CO is going to depend on the weather. If it's dry between now and then, you might want to take something more scenic. If a storm comes thru you might want to stick to New Mexico. I'd stick with what you have as a tentative plan and try to check in when you're about 4 days away so you can find out if there's a storm coming thru or not.
  20. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi - I mean La Veta north east of Trinidad CO - on the way up to Salida... you might get as far as Salida on the TAT route, but you'll have to cross the San Isabel Nat. Forest plus the mountains to the east of Salida itself - unless you stick to hwy 69 of course?

The route you have above is pretty much the route I took back to Moab last year - although I went via Cottonwood Pass and Taylor Park res. between Buena Vista and Gunnison, having done Tomichi and Hancock etc as part of the TAT in the other direction - but they will all be snowbound at the moment of course).

This was October last year:

[​IMG]

However, there is a lovely dirt road that cuts the corner from Montrose to Naturita CO (via Iron spring) that ought to be low enough elevation to be passable this time of year?

If you are planning on following the TAT all the way to Richfield/Kanosh in Utah then fair enough - and if you stick to hwy 89 to get south then you'll avoid the high passes and could detour via Bryce Canyon and Zion, and the south rim of the Grand Canyon (north rim is still likely to be closed?) which would be a lovely road trip - infact if you wanted some more dirt, from Bryce Canyon you could head south east and cut across from Cannonville on hwy 12 to hwy 89 east of Kanab - either on Johnson Canyon or Cottonwood Canyon?

Ooooooooh so many options!

Personally I think the scenery is more dramatic and impressive if you take the southern route in Utah via hwy 95 / 276, cut across the high desert via Starr springs (north of Bullfrog) then CR1668 and Burr Trail to Boulder on hwy 12 (that section of hwy 12 just west of Boulder is incredible!) - but then I would say that as I've just ridden it...

xxx