leaving for the TAT next month, bad idea??

Discussion in 'Americas' started by SAFETYFIFTH, Mar 3, 2009.

1. SAFETYFIFTH

SAFETYFIFTH Let's Rip Lip!

Oddometer:
    ohh so much info. Thank you. All my maps are packed, gunna have to go drag them out.
  2. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    jmo. do you recommend just riding hwy 69 to avoid the possible rough weather and passes in san isabel NF?
  3. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Yes, looking at the map, both those mountain ranges on the TAT route are over 10,000 feet, and as dirt roads there is no way they will be open...

You could get as far as Gardner on hwy 69, then take the road to Salida - however, you'll have to stay on the highways the whole time from there to Montrose, as everything is really high elevation as far as the TAT route is concerned.

There is a nice restaurant in Salida (Laughing Ladies), but otherwise I'd question going that far north just to ride highway? - although admittedly Monarch Pass is stunning, and it's a lovely scenic ride west of Gunnison to Montrose...

However, I thought hwy 160 was a great road route too, and stopping off in Durango is cool - the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge steam railroad is a fantastic way to spend $49 (it only goes half way this time of year, but it is still stunning - google it!).

If you stayed on the southern route (I like to call it the JAT, rather than the TAT x), then you might get to spend a little more time playing in Moab, which is definitely worth it!

Please don't think I'm trying to dicate a certain route to you though, I'm just passing on my recent experience of travelling a similar journey... and it has been utterly fantastic!

xxx

ps. Moab is a really expensive place to stay - the cheapest (nice) place I found was the Adventure Inn which is on Main St - $55 a night for a single person... the rest are all around $80+

Alternatively Monticello is significantly cheaper - the Rodeway Inn there is $39.99... and although about an hour from Moab itself, is ideal if you are planning on riding some of the trails south of Moab?
  4. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    I made note on my map that in La veta CO to look into going to hwy 69 to avoid bad weather, ill see what its like when im actually there.

As far as staying in moab, i hope to find a campground in moab with a shower, bathroom, and just get like 3-4 nights there and leave all my crap there and go ride!

5. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Yes, fortunately there is plenty of camping around Moab - some basic, some with facilities - most sites are full of other off-roader/Jeep/ATV types, so I'm sure they'll look out for your gear...

If you haven't got them already, the National Geographic 'Trails Illustrated' maps (500: Moab North, 501: Moab South) are excellent and have all the Jeep/ATV trails marked on them - tear proof and water proof too - which could be handy x

xxx
  6. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:

I dont have those maps, I planned to stop at a local shop and buy a book/ map of the trails when i get there. Ill keep a eye out for the nat geo ones.
  7. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'm certian you'll be able to buy them there (unless they are sold out of course) - most REI and bigger outdoor shops also have them - there is a whole range covering the popular outdoor regions, and they are very clear and accurate I've found. The Moab ones particularly have all the trail names and ratings listed for both vehicles and bicycles/hikers...

Top stuff!

xxx
  8. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Moab East and West maps by Latitude 40 are excellent maps too. I think any bike shop or Arrowhead Motorsports will have them.
  9. Vinnie the Snake

Vinnie the Snake Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you come thru Oklahoma, and if you stop here in the Tulsa area, let me know, you can come by the sickle shop here and I can show you the routes he is discussing.

Monarch Pass will be open and may be worth riding so you can continue the TAT into Lake City. Out of Lake City on the TAT will be a no go, but you can head to a couple directions and miss the high passes.

Be a great trip which ever way you go. At least you riding.
  10. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    well quick update. Moved out of the apt. Staying at the girlfriends moms house till friday, then I head out that morning. Its been raining a lot the last two days all over the south, its supposed to be nice saturday so im going to start the trail saturday. Its still going to be a mess out there.

Im about to load the bike up and make one last final test run and see how everything will fit. I think im taking too much crap. With all the extra room the duffle bag allowed i ended up putting more crap in there.

With all the rain that has come down the last few days i dreading what the trail is going to be like. If i come across a water crossing that is too bad to cross im not sure what ill do. Should be interisting

Wish me luck...
  11. Pablo83

Pablo83 Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer:
    good luck
  12. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:
    +1000. have fun.
  13. Pablo83

Oddometer:
    I suggest you break up with your GF while you're living at her mom's house. It's really the best begining to a ride report that I can think of. Let me know how it goes.

:lurk
  14. caseylee

caseylee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck to ya. I'm running the MS section next weekend. Doing a pre-ride to see how I like my setup. Getting ready to run the whole thing towards the end of May.
  15. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:

The MS section, as well as the first 50 or so miles of ARK can be a nightmare when it's been raining.

Basically the low delta area near the river is a big mud bog.

Good luck. Take pics!
  16. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    Buen suerte senor.

Link here for your ride report.

:lurk
  17. Motor 1

Motor 1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, good luck and have fun.
  18. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    well im in arkansas now. so far the trip hasnt went as planned, I left georgia as planned and got to north carolina and got a motel for the night. Looking at the weather, Jellico was going to have snow flurries on the day i was going to start the trail and for the next three days after that rain and wind that spanned the entire state. So with that i only had a small window of good weather. The only smart option was to just take the freeway all the way into arkansas, unfortently missing the TAT in tenn and half of arkansas. But i avoided some real serious weather.

What really sucks is I had the bike all setup for the trail. I had it geared low, it SUCKED SUCKED on the freeway. It wouldnt go above 70 mph and it revved to the moon and unfortently i sent my spare sprockets ahead of me to arkansas so i couldnt do anything. I camped in sugar tree TN. It was my first time "stealth" camping. It was quite a experience. There was no way anybody could see me from the road but about 20 feet from where my tent was I found what i think was a meth pipe box. :eek1

Overall the weather here in arkansas has been hit and miss, it was in the low 70s today but tomorrow its going to pour down rain. So i havent been able to do much riding.

I may start a RR soon. I bought a laptop today so after i get it working correctly ill be able to post anywhere i can get wi fi.

although the trip hasnt went as planned so far i have real high hopes for moab and the west in general. Im really looking forward to spooning on some real knobbies and riding in the desert in cali again.

My k 270s did not hold up well to 3 days of freeway riding. By the looks of it they will be shot by the time i get to moab. Ill have to play that by ear i guess.

Sorry for any typos, im still getting used to this laptop keyboard. Im used to my mac desktop
  19. SAFETYFIFTH

Oddometer:
    some pics for those interisted:

The morning i left.
    [​IMG]

All setup in meth country.

[​IMG]

Riding the mini bike my dad and i built a couple years ago.

[​IMG]
  20. Pablo83

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you're on your way. Things will get better quick. And in CO it's legal to camp on the side of the road. I used to have an altas with that kind of info for every state, but I don't see it now. But as soon as you hit OK, you won't have that problem any more. Plenty of wide open fields to camp in.