Leaving Kansas for Panama, first time south of the border. Advice?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by paul.miner, Sep 13, 2014.

1. TeeVee

TeeVee His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer:
    boy b-man, you're a regular inspiration these days. why you raggin on this guy so much?
  2. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    He asked for advice.

I started out with the Butt Time thread. Holy shit he blew the averages. He's riding with the speed and endurance of some of the better Iron Butt guys.

I waited with the Ozy and Funklab stuff until he was basically done. Obviously there's no stopping him. Hopefully he has had the kinds of come-to-jesus experiences to, I don't know... not grow up to be like me!
  3. ksop

ksop BMW GSA

Oddometer:
    Just finished day 3 in Mexico on my way to panama. Stopped to help a local biker who ran out of gas. Hopefully karma stays on my side. Question about border crossings, how will I manage all the different currency exchanges? I am Canadian and we do not have titles for our bikes. Will my original registration from our provincial licensing organization suffice.

Ksop
  4. paul.miner

paul.miner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the Canada-title part, but especially in Central America, there will be people walking around holding fat stacks of cash to exchange.
  5. bananaman

Oddometer:
    This was dumb, but damn- that's a helluva ride.

It looks like you did it. Good job.

I'm pretty sure you're the only FF around these forums who thinks this ride was fun. But since you're the only FF with an opinion that matters, then I'll admit: Good Job.

Next year you'll have no excuse to not come to the LARR.
  6. paul.miner

paul.miner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The pace has slowed lately, mainly due to late night drinking. Calling it quits early tonight, in Flores Magon, Mexico.

Since I woke up late today, I was hauling ass through the construction detours. It was hard on the bike though. Lost the dry bag that had my jacket liners, and bent my rack pretty good. Should cross into the USA tomorrow.

[​IMG]
  7. paul.miner

paul.miner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, got one of those infamous Mexican "speeding tickets". He said he clocked me at 125 in a 110 zone. But I could pay the fine by leaving the money on the seat. How much? What I happened to have in my wallet, 600 pesos.
  8. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Bungees aren't good enough for valuables, and they're dangerous. Sorry to hear that you lost stuff. Use ratchet straps for security. Add a bungee or two to help reduce vibration.

Don't feel bad about the frame bendage. Any bike can bend. Or break. And lots of them do.
  9. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too bad you paid a mordida

Bad for you that you didn't keep the bulk of your money hidden and only enough in your day wallet to show him you only had enough for the next gas stop

Bad for everybody else in that paying mordidas isn't good for the riders coming behind you in Mexico.

Don't feed the machine.
  10. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    +1

Likewise for those who pay "gringo" prices and over tip.

Not that the OP did that. Just sayin'.

Well, Paul, glad you made it down and back. A truly impressive demonstration
    of riding and navigation skills and endurance. Kudos!

EDIT: bungees = time release system. These work better.
  11. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I use a combination of Outdoor Research straps and cheapo-REI quick release straps. The OR straps are a bit slower to do and un-do, but they're secure. For heavier loads, I'll use a light-weight ratchet.
  12. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    That's good stuff there.

It's real economical to buy a roll of 1" webbing strap and a bag of side-release
    buckles to keep at home. Just cut what you need from the roll and run it through
    the buckles. For the lighter stuff, as you said.
  13. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go to your local friendly bmw dealer and get all the shipping straps used to bring the bikes over from the mother land. The early ones are the best and they are free. Never did understand why you would pay money for straps:huh

Hell of a ride Paul:clap I'd heard from somebody somewhere they could get from PC to the US in six days, at least now I know its somewhat possible if you are on a mission to ride and take the toll roads.
  14. paul.miner

paul.miner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Back in the USA today. Stopped in Albuquerque early for the night, going to see friends in Colorado tomorrow.

I don't know if I could have done it in six days, but I could see seven or eight if I had taken a more direct route.
  15. paul.miner

paul.miner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I'm sitting here in a bar in Albuquerque skimming through those ride reports and that is some sad stuff. There's a song I kept on my music playlist, Father of Mine by Everclear that always reminded me to be careful. My son is nine years old, and I wouldn't him to be without a father. I talked to him today for the first time I three weeks, and it was so good to hear him :)
  16. coors

coors gs 1200

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it back safe Paul. It would be nice to have your feedbacks on the ride at some point.

Keep it safe, dont forget, shits often happen close to home when we leave our guard down.

:clap
  17. bananaman

Oddometer:
    As soon as I'm on a real computer I'll post this on the Ride Report Link Thread.
  18. paul.miner

paul.miner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to sorting through pictures. Album is a mix of cameraphone and DSLR pictures, but they should be in chronological order: http://imgur.com/a/GQ9so
  19. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You really beat the shit out of that rack system, looks like time for a rebuild for what works in Mexico and CA, now you know what it takes. Was a hell of a lot of ground to cover without getting hurt:clap Job well done, I would think it would start to feel like quite the job cover those big miles in short time. That Honda looks like a real trooper.
  20. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great trip; reminds me of traveling Mexico on my '95 VFR that I put several thousand miles on down there. Probably the most enjoyable bike I've ever owned. Saludos.