1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Leaving NYC for two weeks in Nov, and suggestions?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by bmast, Oct 17, 2007.

1. bmast

bmast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got two weeks off and while planning a big one, want to take some small trips in the meantime. I've managed to take two weeks around Thanksgiving to travel, but not sure where to go, what to see, etc. I was hoping to do a trip around the Great Lakes this fall, but I think Nov may be late in the season. Anyhow, open to suggestions!
  2. trturnerfamily

trturnerfamily Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BMAST,

I enjoy taking pictures of light-houses (mostly on the Hudson), and am planning (among others) a summer trip that touches all of the Great Lakes - which is a source of some really neat light-houses. If you hear of any good roads for such a trip, I would be interested in knowing.
    Rick
    V-Strom
    Poughkeepsie, NY
  3. advjackass

advjackass orange crusher

Oddometer:
    mexico then ferry to baja and back to ny
  4. pgods

pgods Godspeed rider

Oddometer:
    head down to West Virginia. Incredible roads to ride!
  5. bmast

bmast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    advjackass, Mexico to Baja and back sounds good, any tips on ferry's etc, for a trip like that? Is two weeks enough time?

trturnerfamily, the Great Lakes "loop" is one I had been thinking about myself, but didn't manage to do it this year. Was hoping to ride it about this time, but got caught up. Late Nov. may be a litle late in the season for a trip like that I would think.
  6. eshaw

eshaw slow learner

Oddometer:
    I am taking first 2 weeks of Nov to go from Denver to Key west...spending a few days there fishing/spearfishing and camping...then taking a roundabout trip back. Sounds like a great idea if I dont say so myself!
  7. Roboter

Roboter Vagabond

Oddometer:
    I'd go to the KEYS too! I went there from Birmingham Alabama while working at Mercedes Benz last year. I rode a KTM Duke through southern Georgia, onto I75, through Orlando "where I met a hotty and shacked up with her for a few night" then onto Miami to see an ex, then I met two German girls in Key West and had them for dates on New Years Eve. That was the best rode trip ever!!!! Stay at the Sea Shell Hostel a few nights. Awesome owners, but you have a 3 day limit for a bunk, unlimited in a private room. The Green Parrot is an awesome bar too! Locals only... Oh man just thinking about it makes me want to get on the saddle again and go!!!!

So Leaving from New York I'd take 95 all the way down. You can see some beautiful spots along the way. Two weeks is a bit short though... Make your legs each day long!!!
  8. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    nice! 2 weeks is plenty to hit the keys, depending on your riding style (and the size of your gas tank) you can hit keywest from nyc is under 24hrs. 48hrs would be safer though. If I remember correctly, riding a bike with a 150mile range got me to miami in around 22hrs. I also dilly daddled at rest stops, stopped to fix a broken peg in some boondock town, met a cute girl, and spent about 2hrs at her place :evil

Im assuming your riding a beemuh or something else with at least a 300mile range, plus lets assume you do not need to stop for a repair or a meet a young and willing female you should be fine with 2 weeks.

Now that I think about it I also need to make some plans for a road trip around the same time.
  9. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    South is the way to go this time of the year.2 weeks is a good amount of time.
    This time of the year you ride the blue ridge parkway virgina to tennesse,and not catch to much traffic,and still get the leaf change.Great road,it was made for motorcycles!Its a east coast must.
    Ride the highway to winchester virgina,jump on the parkway all the way to tennesse,then stop off in nashville,its a good time.
    I've done it twice.Cycle world called it the number 5 motorcycle road in the country.Twistys for 600 miles!:D
  10. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    What were the other roads?
  11. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    I can tell you the way we went out of Upstate.Its been 6 or 7 years so check my info.We took 87s to 287s to 84s to 81s,then hooked a right on rt64e,and that road crosses the begining of the Blue Ridge Parkway.Stop at the first tourest center and they'll have free maps,that are pretty good.
    The Parkway maps i have are old but the web address is www.nps.gov/blri,and the #828-298-0358.
    Theres no commercial vechcles allowed,and no billboards or advertisments.There no stores ethier.You have to get off the parkway for food but most places are near the road so its no big deal,and its worth it not to see or hear or smell,etc anything but the great twistie road with veiws to die for.Theres pull offs every 1000yards on both sides of the parkway so you enjoy the great country.
    There is camp'n parks on the parkway,state run and theres plenty of hotels running down the edges.
    The only gas is three state run places.So unless you got big tanks you got to get off for that two,but not a big deal there all right there.
    It ends in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.489 miles,and three states.One of the best roads on the east coast,and the country for that matter.
  12. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Maybe people who buy boats, planes, ATVs, RVs, Jeeps, and other toys ask these same type of questions. I just don't know.

Where to go on my vacation? Seriously.....

People in East Regional Forums should be able to give you many ideas.
  13. bmast

bmast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've decided on the Blue Ridge Parkway, I think at the bottom it's not far from Deals' Gap. Can anyone confirm this? Anyhow, from there I'll head to the ocean and travel back up the coast. How does that sound? Does anyone have any info on finding campsites along the way. I'd prefer not spending all my time (and money) at motels.
  14. artk

artk hi

Oddometer:
    Yep, the end of the blue ridge parkway is right near deals gap/cherahola and all those nice roads. BRP and the outer banks highway in the same trip should be a good one. As for a campsite listing- your best bet is probably asking the locals. Though i usually search for some through the garmin gps software and then check out their websites for photos and such.

From what i know, the outer banks have campsites on the beach which should be sweet. BRP has the motorcycle only campgrounds too.
  15. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Your welcome.:huh
    Good luck on your trip.
  16. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    Bmast be warned that AWM's info is outdated. There are no more gas stations on the BRP at all. They were all taken out I believe because of EPA weeines. Most of the rest areas with food will be closed until May. Peaks of Otter should be open and Big Meadows on Skyline Drive. Neither have gas anymore. Get the booklet from the NPS and a couple of pages in are listings for gas stations just off the parkway. The bad news is they don't tell you to turn left or right. Unless the station is right there it's a crap shoot. Sunday's can be a real problem. You will only find gas near major cities.

The best coconut cream pie in the world will be at Tuggle Gap about MP 165. There's a cheap motel there too. Gas, food and cheap motel at Meadows of Dan MP 175.

It's easy to get gas at, Front Royal (the start) Waynesboro, Buena Vista (5 mi. west), Roanoke, Meadows of Dan, Boone/Blowing Rock, Little Switzerland, Asheville and Cherokee. From Front Royal to Cherokee it's 574 miles of turns with no trucks, stop lights/signs.

Deal's Gap is about 60 miles south of Cherokee. You damn well better have an electric vest or jacket and a real good rain or riding suit. Very warm boots and heated grips are a godsend. At the south end you will be riding at 5 to 6,000 feet. With a little rain that spells COLD.

I've done the ride 10 times in the last 7 years including March with snow on the ground. I think it's the # 1 road in the USofA. Beartooth pass, Million dollar highway, Calf. Rt. 1, they might have better scenery but do they have 574 miles of uninteruped perfect turns with little traffic? No.