Leaving the Arrowhead Country to ride Peru and beyond

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MikeS, Feb 18, 2016.

1. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    I'm having a look at Quechua. I guess a few words of that would be fairly handy. And then maybe a bit of Aymara sometime.
  2. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    Interesting you say this; because in Pachapaqui, when we finished our dinner I asked in Spanish, "how much for dinner?" I didn't understand the number, and the gal then used her hands to inform me. "Ah, doce" I said. She nodded yes. I'm sure she answered my first question with "12" in Quechua. You'll run in to Quechua in the rural areas of Peru. You and they are both communicating in a second language; Spanish. And sometimes, you both have the same limited working knowledge of Spanish.

Edit: On the same topic of language and numbers, I had a time when a Peruvian was practicing her English with us. At the end she told me, in English, that breakfast cost "fifty soles". Wow, I thought. Then, realizing how close "fifteen" and "fifty" are in sound and word ending, and that I've had this happen before, I asked, "quince?" I have recurring problems with some Spanish language numbers myself. The "teens" numbers in Spanish are 11 to 15. And the "s" numbers, 6 and 7 in English, are 5, 6 and 7 in Spanish.
    DavidM1 likes this.
  3. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    Maybe there will be a well used but well repaired Honda Tornado for sale once you're able to visit South America.
    Lutz likes this.
  4. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
  5. Dazzler71

Dazzler71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great read again Mike. Really looking forward to my time in Peru next year, more so after seeing your pics.
    MikeS likes this.
  6. Stubanger

Stubanger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got up to date on this one, awesome pics and notes! Thanks for taking us along. Sorry to hear about your wife's bike troubles, one of those XR190's would've been perfect if one was available.
  7. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Big bump. Enjoyed the read much. Your doing it the right way. Merlin