LED Brake Light vs. OEM on '03 KTM 640 ADV

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by WageSlave, Jul 27, 2005.

1. ontherock

ontherock ne'er do well

Oddometer:
    warming up those rubber covers helps too, same goes for the snorkel on the airbox. I had trouble with the tail light going out all the time(was informed by a deputy) and found that the ground contact in the bulb socket needed a little tweaking , seems to be a heavy duty incandescent bulb in there with a stainless or chromed base and a center support for the filament which is lasting just fine.:augie
  2. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    I had a hard time getting into the KTM fixture too until I did it about 20 times cause the LED failed, first partial, then complete. I am gonna go with Hyperlights.

http://www.hyperlites.com/prod.html

Bill.
  3. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    I just finished putting my tail light back together. I had been going through tail lights fast even for an LC4. Last one lasted all of 300 miles. I noticed two things that I think have been killing my light bulbs.

One was that the o-ring on the bulb socket didn't hold the socket tight against the plastic taillight box. I figure this allowed the bulb to bounce around and burn out sooner. I added a second o-ring to the first. It now fits quite snug.

I also noticed that there was a fine grey dust on the bulb as I took it out. Come to think of it all my bulbs have been dusty for awhile which is a bit strange seeing as the tail light should be sealed and all. Upon closer examination the reflector had come loose and was rattling around inside. The grey dust was bits of the reflector grinding itself to powder. :huh I'm thinking the jiggling reflector was adding to the bulbs difficulties.

I pulled the tail light and popped the red plastic top off with a flat blade screwdriver. I glued and screwed the reflector back in place and glued the top back on. I used Loctite Extreme Repair so hopefully it will hold up to the abuse.

I'm putting in a superbright led to cover all by bases.

Here's hopin. :crossingmyfingerssmilie
  4. mikeprod92211

mikeprod92211 Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    I fixed mine about 4 years ago.
    Replaced the bulb holder with a metal one from Auto Zone, I believe it was for a Chevy, had to Dremel a bit to make it fit into the tail light housing.....
    Now a real snug fit, no bounce at all.... Put in a a Kissin brake light modulator with a bright halogen bulb! Best money ever spent on the damn tail light.
    It's brighter than the original 1157, it flashes when I apply the brakes, halogen bulb is damn near indestructible...... PITA to replace the bulb, but I haven't done one in a couple of years.
    And yes, I ride the paintshaker, a 2000 LC4E with 26 k on the clock.
    And it's getting smoother (or I am getting used to it).
  5. programradio

programradio Master of None

Oddometer:
    I put this in several months ago after vibrations quickly killed my second light replacement:
    1 | 1157-x45-T: 45HP-LED BAY15D Tower Bulb |
    1157-R45-T: 1157 Red
    from here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fother_bulbs.htm%23bau15s

Works great and is brighter than stock. No problems thus far.

Also replaced my running/pilot light with one of these from the same company:
    1 | BA9s-xHP9: 9 LED High Power Bulb |
    BA9S-WHP9: Cool White

Was worried that the heat from the stock headlight would damage the replacement LED pilot light, but again, so far no problems. the pilot light doesn't do much, but I do usually just switch to it when running off road during the day to keep a little visibility up for seldom seen oncoming traffic. install of this one took a little twisting and turning to fit it through the stock entry hole in the headlight assembly, but it does fit without any modification to the housing. i was about to give up and it just found the right angle and popped in.

i don't have any affiliation with this company, i just know they've been around awhile and i've never had any issues w/ their products.
  6. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope it works out. I put in one of thier 3 W Luxeon bulbs a few years ago and the lamp part seperated from the base after about 2 months because of the vibration and went back to HD tungsten.
  7. MSH

MSH The Salt

Oddometer:
  8. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    No resistor needed for LED brake/tail lights, should work fine. Most flasher relays want to see a specific resistance to flash at the right rate, no such problem with tail lights.

A note for anyone with troublesome KTM 640 tail lights: build up the terminals on the bulb with a dab of solder each, install with a gob of dielectric grease (Vaseline) & your bulb blowing problems will be greatly reduced.

Cheers
    Clint
  9. Polargeist

Polargeist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. programradio

programradio Master of None

Oddometer:
    My guess would have been that you would only need the resistor if you were replacing your flashers with LEDs, but it sounds like this wasn't the case for you. I replaced my running/brake light with an 1157 from superbright and didn't need a resistor, but that was a number of years ago. maybe the tech has changed.

I have had issues with the socket contacts becoming dirty and/or slightly corroded. This caused issues with the light not coming on, or being inconsistent. It has been fine after a disassemble and cleaning, but it is something to watch for.