Led indicators issues

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Svd_404, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Svd_404

Svd_404 n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking for some help, I have a 2018 Husqvarna te250 and have just bought some slim LED indicators to fit. They don’t work at all when connected through the harness but if put directly onto the battery terminal they light up, what am I missing?
  2. G 981

G 981 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LED-compatible flasher relay maybe...
    shrederscott and 3legs like this.
  3. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    Are you sure you have the polarity correct? Even with an analog flasher relay, LEDs should light (but not flash).
    Navin likes this.
  4. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I’m not mistaken they need to be wired to their polarity. Where a regular bulb can be +/- on either wire the led needs it connected in one way. Try reversing the wires if it doesn’t light. The flasher should just change the cadence. A non electronic (led proper) flasher will be fast but should still light the leds.
    Roofchop likes this.
  5. Svd_404

Svd_404 n00b

Oddometer:
    Will try switching the wires and see what that does thankyou.
  6. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The other thing that you might run into is how the flasher indicator light is wired. Is there only one indicator bulb?

Both the Suzuki DR650 and Honda XR650L use the hot from each turn signal to go to each side of the indicator bulb.
    With standard turn signal bulbs this works, but with LED turn signals all 4 LED turn signals flash.

To fix this kind of problem, you need to do the diode fix... ground one side of the indicator bulb, the two hots from the turn signals each go into their own diode and the outputs of the two diodes are tied together to the other lead of the indicator bulb.

Standard setup -
    left hot ----\
    indicator bulb
    right hot---/

Diode fix -
    left hot----- diode -----\
    right hot----diode-------\
    indicator bulb
    ground--------------------/
  7. Svd_404

Svd_404 n00b

Oddometer:
    I think this might be the case, as I switched the polarity and they started working so I started going around to do the others and when I got to the front and I connected them all four started flashing like hazards. I then reattached the oem indicator to the rh/front and tested and both Lh indicators work (a little fast) and the indicator light on cluster flashes, but when I switch the button over to the Rh they all flash like hazards and the indicator light on the cluster doesn’t come on? Also if I change the oem indicator to the other side(Lh front) and led on the right and try they all fash on left or right switch and the indicator light on the dash doesn’t show at all so I am now really confused.
  8. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

I think your missing the LED flash generator box....it is not standard on KTM/Husky bikes you have to add it to the system when adding LED turn signals.

It's like a $20 part and is plug and play
    .. available from sicass racing and through rocky mtn atv

Hope that helps

Scott
  9. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When you have all 4 LED turn signals hooked up, disconnect the dash turn signal indicator bulb.
    If the turn signals then work correctly, you need the diode fix for the dash turn signal indicator bulb.

If the turn signals don't flash at all, then either the polarity of the turn signals is wrong OR the flasher unit needed to be updated to a LED flasher unit.
    I've gotten the LED flasher units off eBay for as cheap as $2-$3. Find the one on your bike and look at the connector - find one on eBay for a LED with the same connector.
    dstutz, nzrian and Gondul like this.