led turn signals all 4 flash

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by J.Johnson, Aug 18, 2011.

1. J.Johnson

J.Johnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Turn signals do not work correctly. 08 KTM 530. I just bought this bike and need to get the turnsignals to work. They are LED. WHen you turn them on all 4 lights flash. I have disconnected one at a time and nothing changes. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have to get them to work in order to register it. Also can any one tell me where the horn bolts on? I have it in a box but need it on for the registration also.
    Thank you
  2. weld86

weld86 Weld86 Motoparts

Oddometer:
    You need to add a resister kit that Kuryakn sells. For a quick fix, you can disconnect the turn indicator dash light. There are a few threads floating around on the specifics if you search led turn indicator install. Hope this helps
  3. mjydrafter

mjydrafter evil boy for life

Oddometer:
    I don't know for sure, but it sounds like you need to find an electronic flasher. You can find one at most auto parts stores.

It is my understanding that the LEDs don't have enough resistance to make the old fashion flashers flash.

I have no idea on the horn, other than most of them are up front under the headlight "somewhere"...:D I would find a parts fiche and see if you can find it.
  4. bomber60015

bomber60015 tikkun olam Supporter

Oddometer:
    if all 4 flash on and off no matter which direfection you signal, I don't think it's the flasher unit (if they operated correctly, but flashed very quickly, I'd agree that the flasher was the issue) . . . . .

I would suspecct mis-wiring -- a short somewhere between the left and right sides . . . .trace the wires, use a multimeter, and it'll show up PDQ.
  5. mjydrafter

Oddometer:
    You could reverse the wires as well, as I think some LEDs are polarity sensetive. It would be free to try it anyway.
  6. Beezer

Beezer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    if you only have one dash light that flashes when either side is selected I would look at that. the L and R sides should input to the panel light through diodes so that it can't back feed from side to side.

LEDs are diodes and only light (pass current) if the polarity is correct
  7. dirtrulz

dirtrulz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just because they are led blinkers would not make all four flash. There is a wiring problem. Did it come with the factory blinker wiring or did the previous owner install them himself? Could be a short or a bad blinker switch. If they are blinking at the normal rate then the relay is working fine. If it were me I would break the wiring at teh connector closet to the blinker switch an d test with a meter to see if the switch was sending power to both the right and left blinkers. If there is power to both sets from the switch then the problem is likely in the switch. If the switch is sending power to the blinkers independently then you will have to follow the wiring downstream to find out where the problem is. Also check your grounds, a bad ground can do some weird things. Power will find a ground somewhere, if it is through the other blinkers then so be it.
  8. J.Johnson

J.Johnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I fixed it. I needed to put on a LED flasher and install diods on the indicator. It was back feeding through the indicator causing all of them to flash. Thank you for the replys.
    Also. I cannot get the search engine to work for me. It never comes back with any links.
  9. mjydrafter

Oddometer:
    The search engine will never find "LED"...

It doesn't like 3 letters.

Do a google search of advrider for 3 letter stuff, like "KLR, LED..."

Glad you got it figured out, what about the horn?
  10. J.Johnson

J.Johnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the horn wires are under the tank. I didnt want to take the tank off to find them. I got it registered in cali. yesterday. They didnt ck the horn. Lucky.
    The battery does not fit all that well under the seat. I had to buy a new one. It also does not seem to turn over the engine fast enough. It starts with one kick though.
  11. SpeedBandit

SpeedBandit Series 3000 Mechanoid

Oddometer:
  12. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple others mentioned the dash indicator - that was the problem with my DR when I replaced all the stock bulbs with LED units, and this was WITH an electronic flasher relay.

The problem was that the dash indicator doesn't have a dedicated ground wire, per se. The left and right turn indicators leads (both +) go to the opposite leads of the indicator bulb. So... you can either remove the bulb or wire in a diode kit to remedy the situation.

I went a little more cheap on this and just bought a 25-pak of various diodes from Radio shack. Just solder them in-line (in the right direction) with the leads from the wiring harness, join the leads together in a 'Y' AFTER the diodes. Connect the joined Y to one lead of the bulb and a dedicated ground to the other. That should have you good to go!
  13. MasterChief

MasterChief Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I need to do this to make my LED turn signal upgrade work. However I find there there are many types of diodes with different ratings. The ones I bought at Radio Shack are 12v zener diodes. Will these work? or should I change them for something else?
  14. Beezer

Beezer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    zener diodes.... well, all diodes pass current one way and block the other. but all diodes will eventually pass current it the "blocked" direction if you drive the voltage high enough. A zener is built so that is passes current at a specific voltage when in the reverse bias (block) position. a 12v zener passes current both ways if the voltage is higher than 12 volts.... same as a wire would (except for a voltage drop due to operating the device).

what you want is ordinary diodes with about 1 amp rating
  15. gofast1320

gofast1320 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it possible the PO wired it that way with one of the after market kits?
  16. concours

concours WFO for 47 years

Oddometer:
    THIS is the correct answer.
  17. Dirt Sampler

Dirt Sampler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Concours is correct, that is the right answer..

I just fixed the same issue on a bike my son-in-law bought a few weeks ago. The diode kit and the load equalizer from Kuryakyn took care of it nicely for about 25 bucks.
  18. MasterChief

MasterChief Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I traded in the zeners for some IN4001 diodes and it worked great.

Thanks.
  19. denisthek

denisthek n00b

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem on my XRL LED turn signals(TS) stay on won't flash. I installed an electronic flasher (Amazon lots to choose from) after that all flash- Bike has common TS bulb remove bulb OK, It was backfeeding, take both wires that were going to TS bulb install 1 diode each Radio Shack # IN4001 50v/1A ground the other side of the bulb. It's works fine after mod. The flasher that I used was a Tab Store DGP Power -It's also waterproof.
  20. Chilly

Chilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, cured my issue when converting to LED. I just pulled the indicator bulb for a quick fix. Quick google search brought me here.