LED Turn signals and/or with integrated DRLs?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Greg di, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Greg di

Greg di Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone installed LED front turn signals that have built-in DRLs? Or, has anyone installed LED turn signals at all (front or back)? Which ones did you use, how was the wiring and did you need to put in a relay?

I've done a bunch on other bikes but this is my first KTM so I'm not taking anything for granted.
  2. CalamariKid

CalamariKid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I installed the multi function front and rear turn signals from Cyclops as well as their aux lights. https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/search.asp?keyword=790&search=

Wiring was straight forward - not sure if it used a relay or not - I just followed the instructions and it all went well. Hardest part was opening the headlight assembly and then getting it all stuffed back in.
  3. Greg di

Greg di Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks I will look into the Cyclops. Pretty much all the function I was looking for but...WOW...that install behind the headlight looks like a bear!
  4. Mud Bucket

Mud Bucket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed Tuff lites from CJ Designs. Nothing fancy. Install was easy and the front winds screen isn't that bad to dig into. The lights came with the Ktm connectors so that was a plug and play. I had a timed relay laying around from another bike and I interchanged the OEM one in the 790. Good to go.
    I do like the Cyclops lights. Great features

[​IMG]
    BobcatSig likes this.
  5. CalamariKid

Oddometer:
    I won't lie - it was a bear, but if I can do it... Just takes time and patience. For me the result was worth it.

Note: you do not have to take off the headlight casing just split it enough to remove the headlight.

The blinker light set up is pretty cool - front are running lights (white) when not being used as blinkers (yellow). Rear are off until used as turn signals or breaking. When breaking they do a cool attention getting pattern for a few seconds and then stay lit while brake is engaged.

I'm really happy with them. The aux lights are pretty friggin cool as well - orange halo in normal light mode and then the central white aux lights engage when you switch to brights.
  6. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ordered these.
    https://gadgetlocker.co/products/sequential-turn-signals?_pos=1&_sid=908daf81c&_ss=r

It took 30 days from order to delivery, so it wasn't quick, but it was SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive than Cyclops, with probably little visual difference. I still haven't mounted them, because I haven't figured out the best way to adapt them to the existing stalks, and I am waiting on digging into the headlight assembly until I decide if I'm going with a rally screen. As for the wire terminals, I always keep a supply of the KTM connectors on hand, which I buy in bulk for cheap so I don't have to cut the stock harness. If anyone else has mounted generic Chinese LED signals, I'm curious how you integrated them.
  7. Greg di

Greg di Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where do you get stock KTM connectors from in bulk?
  8. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Greg di likes this.
  9. comradecasey

comradecasey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greg di likes this.
  10. Greg di

Greg di Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. comradecasey

Oddometer:
    You'll want the JST-2 connectors. Two male two female if you're doing the front, or four of each if you're doing all of them obviously.
    Greg di likes this.
  12. Greg di

Greg di Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does the bike not have the females installed already?
  13. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    kubcat likes this.
  14. kubcat

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure which gender is on the light side, but you are correct that you only need that gender.

Edit: I just went to the garage and looked. You can see the rear ones easily if you take off the seat. The lights are terminated female and the chassis harness is terminated male.

For less than 1.50 each it might make sense to get a handful of each just to have on hand...
  15. Greg di

Greg di Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks... I can tell from the cyclops website all they are doing is buying the Amazon lights that are $18 and adding the connectors. The plugs on the lights are male. They have some weird 2 into 1 connection on the brake lights but I'll just solder it 2 to 1 and heat shrink it.

I think with the Amazon lights, a 10 pack of posi taps and the 4 connectors I'm at $48 and $10 of that was shipping!
    comradecasey likes this.
  16. JPA

JPA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought identical turn signals (front) for my 2019 690 Enduro R from eBay. Problem is that the turn signal flashes twice and then the drl light turns on for one second and then turn signal flashes twice again and so on.
    The drl should stay off the whole time the flashers are on. My bike is EU spec and has LED-flashers from the factory.
  17. comradecasey

Oddometer:
    Which is why I recommend purchasing from Amazon as you have a 30 day no questions asked return policy.

And yes, not sure why I mentioned the female plugs :doh
    Greg di likes this.
  18. Greg di

Greg di Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You never know with this generic Chinese stuff what factory it comes from or how they're making it. It's worth a shot.

Like I said, more likely than not all Cyclops is doing is buying a bunch of these Chinese lights connections for people and then reselling them as turn key. They're not soldering circuit boards behind the LEDs
    comradecasey likes this.
  19. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well Greg not quite. You must have some killer eyes.
    Im not being smug here just the real truth. often what looks like a duck, is not a duck when dealing with the Chinese.
    You have to ask what kind of quality you can get for less than the price of a burger. Something we deal with every day, just look at the enormous amount of aux lights that look the same, yet are very different and not comparable at all.
    I understand that it can appear that we are doing as you are suggesting, We do use a Chinese supplier for the basic molded parts, however that's about were the comp stops. Side by side you would notice a difference, its even in the photos but you might have to look a little closer. After running for any length of time one would still be on the bike, the other in the trash can.
    if you get them (amazon brand) mounted without them coming apart your doing good. If your willing to cut your bikes connectors off its probably quite a bit easier, if you go with the ktm connectors, you'll have a blast. they are so much fun to work with. :)
    Most likely if you do get them installed, the first time you walk to close to your bike the difference will be evident. they will most likely come apart. If you actually drop your bike, good luck.
    Your far from the first to think this and certainly not the last. we have a fair amount of riders who have come to us after going that route, only now to be spending more.
    Please come back after you go through the install and ride the bike for a while, prove me wrong. Ill be the first to congratulate you.
    In my opinion, and soon to be yours, particularly if you value your time in any way you are actually spending more for a less than ideal product.

We spend a huge amount of time and effort to bring a reliable product to you riders. This one in particular is a loss for us so far, Its costing us more to produce than what we are charging at the dealer level. They take an immense amount of hand work to provide a quality, sellable product. Not a great business plan and something we are thinking about killing, particularly since you can get the "same" thing from Amazon with such helpful customer service for peanuts.

Ok now Im being a bit smug :) but our American employees also like to eat and are here to help riders everyday with install help, warranties, suggestions, answering questions and helping riders get the job done.
    Im sure the people at amazon also have that knowledge and will answer the phone to help out as well.
    ramirin, Nowwhat, V1Vr and 6 others like this.
  20. CalamariKid

Oddometer:
    Hey @Off Road Ryder keep making cool stuff dude - friggin love the lights! The whole package just makes the bike so much more visible and just looks awesome. Very happy customer and hope you start turning a profit on them.
    oldbrapper and CaseyB like this.