1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

LEDRider - Quality LED aux lighting

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by JustinP, Oct 13, 2013.

1. JustinP

JustinP Long timer

Oddometer:
    The video links are on the product page for the Skene dimmer. But yeah, guess they are not easy to find unless you scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://ledrider.com/shop/?model_number=IQ-175

Depends on the lamp. If you have one lamp with a super tight beam, then adding a second one in a wide beam will help with coverage. I prefer lamps that give both range and decent width from a single unit. At the end of the day you wind up with the same spread and no separation between patterns.

Again, depends on the lamp. The tighter the beam, the less close in tree top illumination you're going to get. Most of our lights (LD35, LR5 and LD5 for example) have a tight main pattern, so close in treetop illumination is minimal. But, they all have a conical pattern, so they will illuminate trees farther out. The upside to the conical pattern, is that it remains consistent while cornering, vs a light with a cut off. It's something you get used to though - and as I said a tighter pattern light will minimize the issue.
  2. JustinP

JustinP Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYI folks - our LD35 and LD40 lamps are on sale for 25% off currently. That's BEFORE the ADV15 coupon code! ADVRiders save $40% on this deal. We have limited stock for this deal, so don't delay.

http://ledrider.com/shop/?model_number=LR3540

These are rugged 3 inch lamps that provide great lighting, at a great price!

Product Specifications
    Model: LR35
    7x Cree XT-E LEDs
    3640 Lumens
    2.6 Amps @ 12 Volt DC (~31 watts)

Model: LR40
    4x Cree XM-L2 LEDs
    4160 Lumens
    3.0 Amps @ 12 Volt DC (~36 watts)

[​IMG]
  3. JustinP

JustinP Long timer

Oddometer:
    With prime riding season fast approaching, it's time for a killer ADV special deal!

For a limited time, order a pair of LX5 lights, and get a FREE Skene IQ-275 Lamp Controller! Simply enter coupon code "FREESKENEADV" to your order of 2 LX5's, and you'll receive a free controller with your order! That's a $70 savings over regular pricing.

The LX5 lights are our top of the line model, putting out a staggering 5000 Lumens each, from a 3.6 diameter package. The LX5's provide massive down range punch, with a good amount of secondary spill, so you can see far and wide at night. The Skene controller provides for easy installation, and a wide range of control of your lights - allowing you to run them dimmed with your lowbeams and full power with you highbeams.

Order link and more information here: http://ledrider.com/shop/?model_number=LX5

Don't delay, this deal won't last long!

Available in Silver/Black as shown, and Solid Black.

[​IMG]
  4. JustinP

JustinP Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYI Folks - these are going quick. Special will probably only last a day or two more before we sell through the earmarked allotment.

5. WRThumper

WRThumper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Justin,

Is there a problem with the ADV discount code on your web site? I tried using it yesterday, but no discount.
  6. JustinP

JustinP Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ADV code works properly. Note that it does not work on the Skene or Cyclops products, just the LEDRider products.
  7. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    good comments about your lights and service at the dv noobs rally thread.

agree they're great lights since i have them too.
  8. CSI

CSI Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recently ordered a pair of LR4 lights and the Skene IQ-175 controller. Justin contacted me the next day, to tell me that the controller I had ordered was out of stock.....in it's place, I got the 175A controller, which is the same control unit, but adds the Alert Feature, which flashes the LED lights very rapidly should you need extra conspicuity to alert somebody to your presence. My order arrived within 3 business days.

Today, myself and a friend spent a good part of the afternoon getting them installed. The majority of that time however was spent trying to locate a switched circuit, as well as tapping into the highbeam power wire. The BIGGEST hassle was removing the dash panel of my 2014 FJR1300. Once we that that portion figured out, the installation was a breeze. Had I done some more research first into "How-To's", installation would have been just a couple of hours.

I set the controller to power the LR4's at 20% while on Lowbeam, and obviously 100% on high beam......I eyeballed the lights as far as where they were pointed at, and hit the road. It will take a little trial and error to get them aimed exactly where I want them, but the improvement in lighting (even not entirely correctly aimed) was immediately noticeable.

All I can say is WOW !!! They are amazingly bright, providing a level of light that is not only brighter than the stock high beams, but whiter light as well.

I am VERY happy with my purchase ! ! !
  9. bseelbach

bseelbach n00b

Oddometer:
    CSI- this has been on my list for 2 years and I've had FJR brackets from Wynpro sitting here for awhile. I'm going to go ahead and order a set for my 2013 FJR. Do you have any FJR specific mounting/wiring tips?
  10. CSI

CSI Long timer

Oddometer:
    Figure out in advance where you are going to tap into switched power for the Skene.....I used the license plate wire, which is under the seat, behind the left side panel. Also, figure out how the dash panel comes out......you need to remove that to get the mirrors off.

Those were the two steps that caused the most grief. Aside from that, it's just a bunch of wiring to run and connect.

I left the yellow wire from the controller un connected....that puts the LR4's at 20% while on low beam. Looks fairly bright, but nobody has flashed me yet, so apparently they aren't too bright.
  11. JustinP

JustinP Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, tail light wire will work. Glovebox wire will also work and is closer to the dash area/battery. By the way, you know you can program the dimmed level as well?

http://www.skenedesign.com/lights/IQ_275_Programming.html
    CSI likes this.
  12. playinatwork

playinatwork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Justin, I installed my LR40's this past weekend and the instructions in the Skene package were excellent. Everything went together as it should and they worked perfectly from the first time I fired them up. Quality lights and hardware. Thanks.
  13. GED2

GED2 Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I've been trying to look for auxiliary lights to replace my high beam.
    I had a 55W low-beam and a 65W separate high-beam that would run together.
    I've lowered my low-beam to 35W and like 4X more light output by switching to an HID unit, freeing 20W for the hi-beam.
    So I've a ~85W budget for the off-road hi-beam lights (I use the regular high-beam on road, would switch to a pair of auxiliary lights off-road).
    My bike's alternator is small: ~230W IIRC.

I know that lumen output is not just driven by the Watts, but also by the bin (quality) of the LEDs.

I've tried to compile the info from your website in one table:
    [​IMG]
    Did I get that right?

Which bin do you use in your lamps? T5, T6, U2, U3?

Could you help me decide between the LR4 and the LR40?
  14. JustinP

JustinP Long timer

Oddometer:

The LR40 is currently clearance priced, and it is a great deal. Besides Lumens per dollar, there's other factors that go into the pricing. The LR40 is a more robust light, with better cooling than the LR4. At your power budget, I think that would be your best option in a pair of lights. The batch on hand was U2 chips in those. Also, not on your graph, that the LR35/40 are priced per pair. It is definitely a better bang for the buck than the LR4 currently.
  15. CarbonCat

CarbonCat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to install them on BMW R1200GS LC , and connect instead of factory aux lights?
  16. JustinP

JustinP Long timer

Oddometer:
    As far as I can tell from the wiring diagrams, the factory fog lights just have +/- running to them. So replacing them should just be a matter of splicing in the new lights. It won't be plug and play though. You'd have cut the wires and splice in the new lights in their place.
  17. CarbonCat

CarbonCat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just checked, actually each has 4 wires coming in... So I guess +,- and perhaps 2 communication wires???
    Is there a way to do it, and not to add additional buttons? Just to have the lights and some module and operate via original switch?

Thanks!
  18. JustinP

JustinP Long timer

Oddometer:
    I must have looked at the wrong diagram. I'm not sure what the other two wires are for. How do the factory aux lights operate on that bike? Do they have a dimmed function or something?

Edit: found a picture of the recent plug, and see the 4 wires. Not sure how the system works on that bike. Simple solution (as long as you don't have the LED headlight) would be to rewire new lights using the Skene controller we offer.
  19. JustinP

JustinP Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today's Special - clearing out our LR35 lights. These are great, extremely well built units. 3650 Lumens from a 3 inch light.

$100 a pair, plus shipping. A steal at this price. Enter coupon code "LD3550" during checkout. Only have a few sets left, first come, first serve.

http://ledrider.com/shop/?model_number=LR3540
  20. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do they include a wiring harness or switch ?