"Left to Live" - A 23-Day Motorcycle Adventure Around UK and Ireland...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by TravisGill, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Hacksaw650

Hacksaw650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much for sharing your pictures! Some of the things you captured I haven’t seen since 1965 when my parents and I toured Scotland before returning to USA. We lived in Alconberry England.

As a child I remember the tiny smurf houses and the mushroom. I wanted to find that leprechaun!

Again, Thank you for returning some great memories!
    TravisGill likes this.
  2. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    aha I was based just down the road at Wyton when it was a flying station (80's and 90's) We used to get the odd overnight visit from those long wingspan types into our hanger. They looked mighty small when compared to our Nimrods.
    TravisGill and Hacksaw650 like this.
  3. TravisGill

TravisGill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome. For sure, can't wait for the next vacation - most likely in late August and early September again.

Funny. Glad you enjoyed it.

Welcome, thanks for the comment. Safe journeys for sure!
  4. TravisGill

Oddometer:
    It was awesome! I didn't know what to expect, so I was surprised by the amount of country that is still not built upon. The National Parks and the coastal drives did not disappoint. So glad you enjoyed it. More adventures for sure - we are currently planning an Alps trip for the late summer.

Thanks for the comment! Totally welcome.

Thanks Rob! Glad you enjoyed it.
  5. TravisGill

Oddometer:
    I love that word - Brilliant; it sounds even better than exceptional or awesome. Can't wait for the next adventure as well. I kinda feel like the ride report was an adventure in itself!

Dean, thanks for the generous comments and thanks for noticing the artistic side of using a camera. I've really enjoyed using the Canon G7X to capture many of the memories of the trip. Cheers!

You're welcome! I've got many more dreams that I want to make into memories - more to come...
    Mofrid likes this.
  6. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along on your wonderful journey! Great photos and insightful writing. Looking forward to reading about your next trip! Safe travels!
  7. TravisGill

Oddometer:
    No problem. Thanks for the comments!

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the photos and write-up.

You're welcome. Yes, we found all the cats in York. I didn't think to bring back an acorn from the Sherwood Forest - great idea though!
    roadcapDen likes this.
  8. TravisGill

Oddometer:
    The British Isles were wonderful! Wish I had more time to enjoy even more but we feel like we covered quite a lot over the three weeks!

Didn't realize it was a race :) Glad the report will be of some use to you and others.

Steve, Thanks so much for the kind comments. I do enjoy photography and trying to find the less obvious - glad you noticed. I spent quite a bit more time in post-production for this ride report but it seems to have made an impact. Enjoy a beautiful part of the world you live in.
    Mofrid likes this.
  9. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Outstanding ride report with fantastic pictures.

Sherwood Forest is local to where I was born so I've been to the Major Oak many times - you used to be able to go into it (the legend is Robin Hood hid IN the tree) but the constant compression of the soil around the tree started to damage the roots so they fenced it all off.
  10. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just paid for flights to UK . 1 month from mid Nov to mid Oct. Now I have to hire a bike.
    It's all your fault. :-)
  11. TravisGill

Oddometer:
    Glad I could trigger some childhood memories. Man, I would have loved to find a leprechaun as well - until then, I continue to just resort to eating Lucky Charms for breakfast.

Thanks for the comment and safe travels. We have a few trips lined up...

I never considered that the legend of Robin Hood would be IN the tree! I dig that idea! After visiting, I think the legend exists in us all. Glad I had the chance to see such a place of my childhood memory.
  12. TravisGill

Oddometer:
    You're welcome - Enjoy!
  13. cmcteir

cmcteir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Followed this over on ABR as well as here - many thanks for taking the time to put these posts together. Glad you enjoyed your time on these isles.
    TravisGill likes this.
  14. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great photos. Another really fine ride report! Thanks!
    TravisGill likes this.
  15. Drosera

Drosera n00b

Oddometer:
    @TravisGill Great report, Nice reading on a winter day. Getting me excited for the spring rides to come!
    TravisGill likes this.
  16. TravisGill

Oddometer:
    I was especially surprised by how much interest folks had on ABR. I figured it's their backyard, why would a large majority of UK folks be interested in someone view of their backyard. Turns out they do. For the record, Chantil and I loved our short 23 days in the isles.

Thanks for the comment. I turned it up a notch with the photo editing on this trip. Glad you liked the report!

Thanks for the comment. Glad you had some enjoyment from the winter weather. Spring is just around the corner! Adventure awaits us all!!
  17. cmcteir

cmcteir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To paraphrase Burns (since it's that time of year), it is a gift to see ourselves as others see us :thumb
    TravisGill likes this.
  18. RJ44

RJ44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another fantastic journey. Thanks for sharing so many wonderful photos.

Rob
    TravisGill likes this.
  19. miksail

miksail Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    TravisGill likes this.
  20. TravisGill

Oddometer:
    Rob, Thanks for reading my posts and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Sometimes, I feel like I post WAY TO MANY pictures but perhaps there are a lot of folks like you who enjoy they.

Funny stuff! Truth be told, I think that kissing the Blarney is a bit overrated. The castle and grounds are worth the visit however.