1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Leh Ladakh ride companion 3rd wk august 2018

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Azawadeh, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Azawadeh

Azawadeh Be good with your adventure spirit

Oddometer:
    Hey, I am a female rider planning to ride to leh ladakh area at 3rd or 4th ek of august. I keep my distance to guided tours cause I think it might be cheaper when you arrange your ride yourself but as a female and first timer I dont wanna be alone on such a famous route. Anyone planning to go there around 3rd wk or maybe 4th week of august and willing to ride together pls let me know :beer
    ruans187 likes this.
  2. HUNG

HUNG n00b

Oddometer:
    I will be riding there from Sep 8 until 16, if you can postpone your trip we can ride together. pls let me know
    cheers !
    ruans187 likes this.
  3. Azawadeh

Azawadeh Be good with your adventure spirit

Oddometer:
    Sorry my dates of flights to india are fixed :/
    ruans187 likes this.
  4. CA Stu

CA Stu Big bike friendly, home by noon Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I was there last year at this time, on a guided tour, but I noticed there are lots of riders on all the roads, anywhere from solo or two bikes to dozens and everything in between.
    Even ran into a solo European female bicyclist riding around Lamarayu!

You will definitely be able to find a riding partner or a friendly group to tag along with in Leh.
  5. theironhorse

theironhorse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the whole riding circuit is safe and you will find a lot of riders however during september it does get chilly on passes.
    whats your route plan ?

delhi- punjab-srinagar - leh else delhi- chandigarh-manali-leh ?
    will PM you my contact. Indian national and have done that circuit multiple times. will hook you up with the local rider community.
  6. ruans187

ruans187 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys,
    I just returned from the Ladakh area, and please be aware that some permits are required (one at Leh to go into the mountains); and there are many police check points where ONLY 1 foreigner is not allowed to go through. You must be with another foreigner (don't ask me why), but I was with 4 Indian guys and still had to hang out outside on office where they issued the permits and luckily met a Greek guy with his girlfriend who where in the same situation. We got permits and got together next morning at 5 AM where we went to Nubra Valley. Then they rode with us 1 more day and my guide told them the rest of check points they were ok to proceed with out me and me with out him (me being only foreigner in my group).
    I strongly recommend a tour, because of checkpoints and some paperwork issues, and also be aware to buy Damox (I think is the right name) for the altitude sickness. I got head blasting headaches every single night (less oxygen at night).
    It was amazing, I will post a RR soon.
  7. theironhorse

theironhorse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the permits are needed for pangong lake and rohtang pass even for indian nationals however for non- india nationals you would need some more permits.
    like for almost all passes. the best thing to do it go via delhi - chandigarh and then reach manali. stay there for a day or two and chill out and from old manali office take permit costs 3$ but you would need to stand in line for about 30 minutes. its hassle free if you have all the information. that permit is for rohtang pass and you can reach all the way to Leh with many checkpoints by just registerting a valid ID proof and vehicle registration number. Jammu - Kashmir is a alert state hence all the record keeping and information gathering.

been like that for a few years now but the beauty is worth all the efforts. tours turn out to be hassle free but very expensive. like maybe 1500$ tour the same you can do it 500$ but will lot of information gathering and planning accordingly.

AMS does not hit everyone . mostly if you are not physically fit. slight jogging and running practise a few weeks before the trip will help you a lot.
    Diamox helps. its a blood thinner but then you can always avoid.
    first rule of high passes it so move slow take ample rest and not cover a lot of distance in one day. keep well hydrated and eat well.