leh ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by arn, Aug 9, 2009.

1. arn

arn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to see you here, Haroon!

Apparently you need a full 5 -7 days before you acclimatize to 12-13K feet. I did not have the luxury of so much time. The full trip took 8 1/4 days.
  2. peter-reebok

peter-reebok Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that - I was concerned for the others. Now I know the timing I am less concerned.
  3. arn

arn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From end June onwards, the roads get as sorted as they will be, till mid Sept at which point maintainance more or less comes to a halt. That said, the Himalayas allow people through only when they are in the mood - a localized weather disturbance is all it takes to kill people.

Fortunately, at this time of the year the mountains are in a much more mellow mood.......
  4. rogerdodger

rogerdodger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ahh ha! just found your report. Its amazing to see the differences of the road from when you did it to when i crossed. i got the easier crossing for sure, but I think you had the real adventure! I'm still here in Manali and the snows are covering Rohtang. maybe I need to go back up and take a look!
  5. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    nice ....
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yikes, you didn't happen to take a pic of your taxi rescue?

:lurk
  7. arn

arn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When a lot of helpful people are struggling to put your bike somewhere 10' up onto a minibus the least I could do is be a part of the lifting party! Which, incidentally made me feel very sick afterwards, as I had already had plenty of excercise at 17000'.

It would have been a nice shot though....
  8. nathanthepostman

nathanthepostman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    when I did that road a few months back it was sunny with just a hint of snow, but it was still the toughest ride of this trip. To do it in those conditions you sir need a medal. Total respect and admiration.
  9. arn

arn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind thoughts, but what I did was not deliberate, at least getting into the snow.

I got suckered into it.

I'd ridden through light snow a couple of days previously while riding to Leh and just loved it. It was not just nice (I had not seen snow before) it was surreal having the stuff fall on you gently, without making you wet. Hence when it started snowing at first up Tanglang, I was not unduly worried either from the standpoint of road surface or the cold. That, coupled with the gorgeous snow and ice patterns on the side of the road distracted me completely. When it started to snow heavily, I was already too far up to do anything about it.

In other words, by the time I became aware of the danger, I was already screwed.

I think the only smart thing I did out there was to realize I was going to be in deep shit in some time due to the altitude, and start thinking in terms of getting out of there by any means, even if it meant that the trip was going to be a total waste from the standpoint of what I had set out to do.

Well maybe not really a total waste, as I now have a better awareness of that kind of situation and will be more alert for danger signals that I did not recognise till then.
  10. jitubisht

jitubisht Jitendra

Oddometer:
    \m/ RESPECT \m/
  11. chook chaser

chook chaser adv

Oddometer:
    Tx for the report nice to see another angle of the road and the conditions you encounted you can say that you travelled the road less travelled v/nice
    r
    greg