1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Leh to Manali Fuel Availablity

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Chat Lunatique, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Chat Lunatique

Chat Lunatique aka El Gato Loco

Oddometer:
    Guys.....need some up to date info please. Just planning my trip next year around India for a couple of years. I returned from a recon in Delhi last week and need help.

Leh back to Manali is 473 kms. What is the fuel availability on this route? I see many pics of guys riding with giant spare fuel jugs on their bikes. I'll be on a new, carbed 500 Bullet. It comes with a 14 liter tank and I'll have 4 liters in spare fuel bottles.

So, do I need an aftermarket oversized fuel tank or is there a timely fuel stop enroute? :dunno The tanks available in Karol Bagh looked kinda crappy and rusty. Would like to avoid them if possible because this leg of my trip is the only one where fuel may be an issue. Thanks
  2. 1hp

1hp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Chat,

If you are travelling from Manali to Leh the last petrol pump after manali will be in a place called Tandi after which there is a 360 kms+ run till Karu where you will find the next petrol pump. You should easily be able to do this stretch with 4 litres of spare fuel bottle but you can buy a 5 liter plastic can in Manali and get it filled up at Tandi. Once you refuel you bike just leave the can at a Dhaba - that's what I did.

My Bonneville has a tank range of ~200 kms so I carried fuel - I just asked a hotel to give me any spare cans they had from their housekeeping dept. Worked like a charm. Here's what he petrol pump at Tandi looks like- don't miss this board and you will be fine ;)
    [​IMG]

The roads you will be travelling on look like this (not photoshopped in case you are wondering! ):

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Chat Lunatique

Chat Lunatique aka El Gato Loco

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Sorry to have missed you in Delhi