Lessons in Replacing a Shoei Hornet X2

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by holligl, Aug 31, 2019.

1. holligl

holligl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm wanting to replace an aging Hornet X2. Learning a few things in the process. Decided to stick with what I had before, since I have 3 different shields already. Ordered through a local shop that matches Internet pricing. When it arrived I checked the manufacture date, and it was 1/15. The dealer told me it would still be good for the 5 year warranty. When I got home, I emailed Shoei support, and asked them. They indicated the warranty and service life would expire 1/22, seven years after the mfg date. This would indicate about half the desired life remains.

I called the dealer, who got the helmet from Helmet House, who I'm told is the exclusive importer of Shoei Helmets. (Ordering through any shop will draw from the same inventory.) Everyone is working to rectify, but not resolved yet. The newest size/color I wanted was manufactured 7/15. They are currently looking for other colors in my size, that are not already 2 years old. I have offered to prorate the price based remaining service life.

I find it interesting that the distributor would ship a 4.5 year old helmet. I have never noticed Hornet X2 clearance priced. Looks like Shoei allows for 2 years max aging on the shelf for their 5 year warranty.

I highly recommend you check the Manufacture date on any new helmet before you walk out of the store, or wear it beyond a fit check.
  2. Katabatic

Katabatic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this. I'm also trying to replace my Hornet X2 and finding similar manufacture dates for the color/style I want. I love my Hornet X2 but have a hard time reconciling spending $600 for a helmet that's been sitting in a box for 5 years. What did you end up doing?

Also, do we know how often Shoei will refresh their helmet lines? I couldn't find any specific info on a Hornet X2 redesign out there but if there is one in the pipeline I might wait to see what features they're incorporating.
  3. holligl

holligl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did buy the newest one I could find, 7/15 mfg date I think, and got $100 off. I figured I will use it for 4 years. It is much more comfortable than my old one. I didn't realize how degraded my liners were.
    Katabatic likes this.
  4. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s why you replace it with a $300 Scorpion AT950. My Shoei Hornet sits on the shelf after buying this helmet. I like this one so much better. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  5. rj95lss

rj95lss still searching...

Oddometer:
    Anyone ever replaced the front lower intake before? Mine got stuck in the up position but one side is in more than the other and I can't seem to pull it out. Can't figure out how to remove the whole thing and reset it. But they sell a whole new one for $40 so it must be replaceable.
  6. holligl

holligl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think you need to bend it a bit to get it back into place. My old on did a similar thing. It will snap back in place with the right manipulation.
  7. Katabatic

Katabatic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback, holligl.

I ended up buying another Shoei Hornet X2 as well this week. Found one on Amazon in my old color scheme (Seeker TC-6) that seemed to be the last one available on the entire internet in my size. $450 and manufactured 2/15. Yes, it's already 5 years old but I also don't have a problem with that.

After 20,000+ miles around North and South America I've had no issues with my first Hornet X2 and barely notice it after 10+ hour days. Build quality is fantastic and even saved me some grief after a 30 MPH off on the TAT near craters of the moon. I sent it into Shoei to get it tested and they sent it back with a letter stating the EPS liner had sustained compression damage and was no longer safe to ride in - hence the replacement X2. I've included a photo to show how little damage was visible on the outside.

20200416_174735_HDR.jpg

Old and new:
    20200416_174720_HDR.jpg

lacofdfireman, thanks for the input on the scorpion. I tried it on before getting my original Hornet X2 and just wasn't into it - bobble head effect on me (3 vs 4 shell sizes for the Shoei) and I liked the build quality/finish of the Shoei a lot better - to each their own I suppose.

Hope this will last me another couple of years at least till we see some ADV style helmets with the new FIM standard that don't cost an arm and a leg.