Lessons Learned: Group Rides

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ricky racer583, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    NESBA.

You could show them your race license and they would throw your ass in novice if you hadn't ridden with them before.
    gone2seed likes this.
  2. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Yeah, from what I remember, HARD to get a bump from those guys. I was on my supermoto running with them a few times. STUCK in Novice, and I was racing and doing SM specific track days. Showed up one time with another group, forget the name… control rider dude YELLED at me for being in novice. Pulled me off the track and immediately bumped me to intermediate. Was not a huge NESBA fan.
    gone2seed likes this.
  3. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    All these 'discussions' for a ride ? Is passing acceptable etc, bloody, I'd rather stay home and mow lawns. 4 or 5 of us have ridden together on and off for 40 years and I can't remember any of these discussions, if one wishes to break land speed records, they do it, if one wishes to smell the flowers/ take pics, they do it. Only discussions are who sleeps in the same room as the snorers.
    LOUFY034, Johann, baldman1 and 2 others like this.
  4. gone2seed

gone2seed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl“Remember it’s not a race!”​
    Till somebody starts talking shit!
  5. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Your missing the point. These may / may not be MY expectations for a ride. But these are all items (I'm sure there are more) that some/all/none of the people on the ride like or agree with. Thus, if we want to all be on the same sheet of paper, then a wee bit of discussion facilitates that.

FOR EXAMPLE....

I never want someone adjacent to me, in my lane (at any speed, let alone a significant differential speed) unannounced. The lane is mine on both sides. That is something some folks disagree with, others don't.

Barry
    Dayypete and bwalsh like this.
  6. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    :photog Your example has no bearing on the topic. Riding with a few friends is WAY different than riding with a large group of others you may have never even met before.

But if there's no organization in an "organized" ride with riders of unknown riding experience what could possibly go wrong, right?
  7. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    Which brings up the topic of where's the fun in big group rides ? Extra time waiting while riders of thirsty bikes or smaller tanks fuel up, smokers smoke, weak bladders given relief etc. and as for riding with people of unknown abilities, screw that. I'd compare it with on your commute to work, you pull up at a bus stop and offer a bunch of strangers a ride in your car, hell, you're going in the same direction. Just a few rules though, no farting, don't decide it's a good chance to show off your new piece, oh and don't do anything that could result in my death though your stupidity. :D
    JETalmage likes this.
  8. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s some funny shit right there.
    But doesn’t disuade the fun I have with various group rides.
    klaviator and ktmgeoff like this.
  9. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're preaching to the choir. Like I've said numerous times in other threads, I got into riding motorcycles to get away from people.
    Bar None, Friis and ktmgeoff like this.
  10. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably the same as any activity with other people. Your level of enjoyment with other is directly proportional to the flexibility you have to adjust your experience.
    also, same as any group activity with other people, some people will be more fun to engage in activities with than others.
    If you find the right group of people and can adjust to some things not happening exactly as you would do it, it opens up the ride to new experiences and new ways of doing things.

Of course, if you have already decided that everything you are doing is the only, perfect way, then there is probably no need to share experiences with others.
    klaviator likes this.
  11. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ride alone or ask 1 of your select friends too go for a ride...

That way your dealing with 1 person or just your self,,, its way more fun doing our own thing at our own pace...

For me that is,,, alot less drama and things going on when there is only 1 person too deal with...

Jt

All group rides have some kind of quark...
    ktmgeoff likes this.
  12. gone2seed

gone2seed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are 4 or 5 other riders I would follow into Hades with the expectation of coming out the other side before the devil knew we were there.
    Racers, track day friends. Years of riding around.
    Shit can still happen. If you wanted safe you wouldn’t be on a motorcycle!
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  13. JETalmage

JETalmage Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gag me. I'm so sick of hearing that tripe, and its similar cliche that we wouldn't ride motorcycles were it not for the cheap thrill of doing something dangerous. That's just self-justification for bad judgement and bad behavior.

I like to sleep, eat, and breath mountain air. I like to do technical drawings. I like to listen to Mark Knopfler music. And I like to ride motorcycles enough to have been doing it for over 52 years on about that many different bikes; most years putting more miles on bikes than cars. I'm not drawn to any of those things out of some neanderthal 'craving for danger'.

What you're talking about may be you and your 'track day' friends, or those who do airborne somersaults on MX bikes. And that's fine. Ride your ride, live your own life. But it's not me, you don't speak for me, and you don't know diddly about why I ride motorcycles. And public roads is not the place for foolish showboating behavior, be it fast or slow, I don't care how great a 'hot shoe' you think you are.

Just yesterday, I'm heading south on Ga 341, and a typical group of 6 noisy cruiser slugs with the requisite trike at the rear pull right out onto the highway from a side road--not a single one of them stopping at their stop sign--and then proceed along at a snail's pace, choking the highway for everyone else.

On my last trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway, a half-mile of traffic was backed up just beyond one of the on-ramps while first responders worked to get things under control after one member of a whole crowd of Pirate Paraders somehow managed to go right down the mountainside. On a 45 MPH scenic road.

Yeah. Group ride because 'danger is fun.'

JET
  14. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride with maybe four other people- my wife, a former roomie, and two friends. We all do our own thing with pre-arranged route and stopping points so nobody's pressured to hold back or keep up.

Broke that rule once a few years ago and rode with a group of co-workers after work- all of whom have some nominal level of skill. One invited his S.O. along... she target fixated outside the curve, rode there. Broken collar bone, no big deal but the drama in getting her back to safety and dealing with the extra bike and... Yeah. an hour ride turned into five hours before I got home. 'nuff of that.
  15. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I "survived" another group ride a couple of days ago. I posted the ride on ADV and a local forum, not Facebook. We ended up with 8 riders total. 6 of us had ridden together a number of times. One was new to the group and one had ridden with us once before.

We had riders with greatly different levels of experience and bikes ranging from 250 to 1200cc.

We had no issues other than one mixup where the group got split up for a bit. Even that added to the adventure.

So we all had a great day of riding. This was typical of most of the group rides I have done. I could have gone out and ridden this route on my own but it was much more fun with a group.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I couldn't have taken this pic if riding by myself.

[​IMG]

Sure we did spend some time standing around and socializing. A group ride does cut into the miles you can ride but 220 miles on a 250 dual sport is plenty for me in a day.
    bomose and Barry like this.
  16. ManWithHat

ManWithHat I don't like hats.

Oddometer:
    This neighbor was asking me if I wanted to do some group ride. I don't dig on group rides, but I was open to it just for something different. Until -- "Yeah, last year we had someone whose heart stopped and then they crashed. That was really sad." I said, oh shit, that's crazy. Neighhbor said, "yeah, and a month later we had two or three guys crash and one ended up in the hospital for 4 months. But that's about the worst thing that's happened. We have another ride next month if you want."

Hell no.
    ZanderMan, Barry and bwalsh like this.
  17. ManWithHat

ManWithHat I don't like hats.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, and dude is so busy channeling his rage at a dying dog he ignores his buddy who's lying in a broken pile at his feet. Strong work.
  18. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Squid is what squid does.
    AdventureTrail, ManWithHat and Barry like this.
  19. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Several decades ago in my area we had a couple sportbike forums. They’d do group rides every weekend, sometimes both SAT and SUN. Then online they’d post that so and so fell down, hit so and so, causing both riders to crash. This was not unique, this was all the time. Happened way too often. Those with a brain on the forum would ask what happened, who was at fault, what can we learn from the mistakes made? OMG, the blowback. The morons defended these crashing idiots and railed on anyone that called them on the carpet for causing crashes.

That and other personal experience soured me on 1) large group rides and 2) riding with groups of people I don’t know. That said, most of the great motorcycling memories I have (and hope to continue to make) revolve around riding with other like-minded, skilled, riders.
  20. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most of the complaints on here are not about group riding itself, but doing it with random people.
    Having a group of trusted friends that enjoy riding together seems like a better chance of a positive outcome.
    Probably doing anything with random strangers has a higher level of risk.
    I don’t think I would want to rock climb, or sky dive, or many other activities with just anyone.
    We do race with others we are not familiar with. Of course in that instance we are trusting that the organization that is putting on the racing has vetted them out as competent to race, and fully expect that some will still have lower experience and possibly have issues. That is how they learn and get better. In that case it is the right place to be developing skills and everyone recognizes it. Then again, when I am on the track, the most likely cause of me having an unscheduled dismount is me pushing too hard :)