Let’s talk about BMW bolts

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by lucky6600, Jun 15, 2019.

1. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let’s talk about bolts

I am in the process of sorting my junks.

BMW has been using different vendors over the years.

Any particular years ? Brand?

IMG_8558.jpg

IMG_8559.jpg
  2. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    One of the first things I learned 20 years ago when I got my '75 R90/6 was to not wire brush the stock bolts when I cleaned things up because the bolts were, mostly, cadmium plated and wire brushing would remove the coating so the bolts would then all rust away. Happened of course because I was told this after I had wire brushed most of the bolts.

Since then I have replaced most of the ugly rusted parts with second hand stuff in good condition and sometimes stainless steel. I'm not in favor of too much stainless steel but for a lot of parts there is not much option. And the look of rusted bolts is really the worst.

This is not what you were looking for? I'd like to hear where original style cadmium plated bolts can be bought if that's what you're after.
    nk14zp and lucky6600 like this.
  3. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    I buy nearly all of my hardware from BMW. There are exceptions, but most of it is still nicely plated and reasonably priced.I have a bunch of it listed here, and you can submit new hardware that isn't already listed.
    Jim Day, globalt38, spokester and 3 others like this.
  4. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:

I know for years, we all busy with keeping our airheads running and enjoy the way it was designed for. As people sometimes say, the cheapest part on a BMW motorcycle is the owner. Most of us will do whatever it takes to keep the bike running in a most economic way while includes using a random nuts and bolts that you have in your tool box if needed. I was the same way until awhile ago, I even saw a "S " (Suzuki style S) bolt on one of my new acquisitions.

Many people went to the shiny stainless route when the bike was "restored". They look nice but isn't my cup of tea. I would like to keep my bikes as original as possible including bolts.

I found BMW used different vendors for all their models. VERBUS here and RIBE there..... I am hoping I am not the only one had been OCD about it.

Anton,

Your list is awesome as always but I wish the hardware list has one more column : manufacturer
    spokester likes this.
  5. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've always been pretty OCD about fastener originality on my bikes even as much as how they are oriented when assembled. I can't let myself spin a nut on with the ISO/manufacture markings face down (this includes the little fiddly nuts on valve cover studs. (I may not remember to tighten them but by-god they'll be installed properly:lol3). I've replaced a few badly corroded socket head cap screws on the exhaust clamps with stainless, but I didn't feel good about it.
    bobthekelpy, nk14zp and bmwrench like this.
  6. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    If the old bolts just 'look ugly' they can be re-plated.
    You'd want a few to make it worth while.. and the cleaner they are the better ($ wise).
  7. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    Re-plating is definitely an option. I'm having some stuff replated for my /2. For old, fine-thread stuff I suspect this is the best option.

For my hardware list, I'm not concerned about the manufacturer because that list is about current replacement parts. If you need to match a particular bolt on your bike, you already have all the info you need. If you want to buy a new bolt from BMW in a particular size, try my list.

Sometimes BMW screws up on the replacement hardware, like when they change a thread pitch without changing the mating part. Or they replace an Allen with a Torx, which just looks wrong on older bikes and doesn't match the toolkit. Other stuff is just different, like the new oil pan bolts which have a captive hard washer rather than a captive wavy washer. But often these things change again after a year or so.

Some bolts are made just for BMW. For instance, I wanted longer OEM-look radial caliper bolts for the new bikes so I could mount Motolights without looking like I had made a trip to Home Depot, and contacted the manufacturer. Nope, that bolt is made just for BMW and is not produced in different lengths.
    spokester likes this.
  8. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting thread, yes verging on OCD....but interesting. I've started saving the old bolts nuts as well: does anyone have names of places that will still cad plate? I was under the impression that cad plating is such an industrial hazard that it is rarely done anymore.
  9. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use stainless steel fasteners where I feel safe in doing so. Places that cad plate are rarer by the day, and nickel and zinc plating don't hold up well. Newish BMWs are being built with more stainless hardware as time goes by.
  10. 100RT

100RT Long timer

Oddometer:
    On occasion I have used Rub n Buff to freshen up the look of the old fasteners on my 81 R100RT. Very fast, just a dab on a q-tip and rub off . Done! Not permanent but lasts a long time.
  11. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does it stop rust?
  12. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Take the bolts you have to a plating shop. They are likely to charge by the pound.
  13. 100RT

100RT Long timer

Oddometer:
    it's basically a carnuba wax with metallic powder in it. Have no idea about preventing rust very well.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  14. photorider

photorider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow. I thought I could be OCD. Properly orienting the markings on fasteners? The bar has been raised.
  15. SculptD

SculptD Smells like tech

Oddometer:
    Ah, the many shades of rebuilding, refreshing, restoring...

A proper restoration should be all original down to the minute details, no? Some no-nothings look at my efforts and ask if I will present my bikes in another format. “You should go down to Pebble Beach...” and so on.

Right. And be humiliated by my incorrect nuts and bolts? Just to mention the most minor of my infractions.

I like stainless, and socket heads, when it looks right. But there are plenty of places when it doesn’t function as well. Small button heads for example.

Rub-n-Buff offers a little bit of protection. If you refresh it often. Might be as good as any other non-durable rust preventative.
    spokester likes this.
  16. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Look at a quality made nut and you'll see manufacturers marking on one side. These are properly assembled with the non marked end not visible.

Bearings are assembled so the markings are visible.

These issues come up once in a while. Supposedly many manufacturers assembled their products this way.

I have no idea if this is a thing with BMW in the age of building Airheads but I do it this way with everything and anything. It's a habit.
    spokester and sprouty115 like this.
  17. photorider

photorider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Front and back is one thing. Lots of fasteners have different faces. But orienting text so it’s not upside down? That’s the prize winner.
  18. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was, "face down", not "upside down".:deal You just won the reading comprehension prize, photorider.:lol3

For all intents and purposes my hermetically preserved ST, with 1,400 original miles when I bought it a little over a year ago, was a brand new bike. Still had all of the factory paint marks aligned on the drain and fill plugs and their associated original gaskets. Hell, I did the first oil filter change on it since it came from the factory. A virtual airhead time capsule. Additionally every single nut on it was installed with the markings visible.

All of the nuts on the brand new Hyundai engine I am about to swap into my Delica were installed in the same manor.

The information stamped into fasteners is there for a purpose. If the stamp is no longer legible because the nut was installed stamped side down, that information is lost.

Obsessiveness is relative I guess. Reminds me of my buddy's favorite axiom: Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape.:lol3
    OLD GREEN, spokester and Disston like this.
  19. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I thought so. I didn't want to assert it as fact because I wasn't sure.
  20. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not as fun when it's your boss with the affliction and your trying to get the skidder out of the shop as fast as possible.
    spokester likes this.