Let’s talk about gear!

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Buzztail, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the Sandbox we often have some different requirements for gear- riding gear, camping gear, etc.
    With lots of noobs often asking about what to buy and what not to buy I figured we can lump everything into one thread.
    I myself am a certified gear whore, and will often look for new ways to do the same thing I currently do but do it better, cheaper, with more or less stuff, lighter, more sustainable, less hassle, more robust, and so on.

An example is the Boilite stove that I’ve been using since the pre purchase option was available. It cooks great, uses scrap wood, charges stuff, and has been rock solid.
    Here is is in Joshua Tree:
    83B9712E-2C21-410E-A6F3-7812286FFFD6.jpeg

Another is the much loved and abused Kili Air. This jacket has been my go to for longer than I can recall, and has never let me down (or been washed:lol3)

5E3EA218-FCF0-4340-82D2-0AAA6DEC5984.jpeg
    You can see it’s faded to a nice purple where it was once black.

The Hennessy Hammocks are yet another fine example of quality kit that’s served well. For temps above mid 60’s at night there is no finer way to sleep in The Woods:nod
    This one man tent however can suck a bag of dicks
    B2FA7D40-3ABC-4191-843D-303CD5DEBF70.jpeg

So there’s a start. Whatcha got that works, and what got gong’d right off the bat?
  2. FL Pepper

FL Pepper OMGWTFFTW

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a Helite air vest, comfortable even in Florida heat ( I removed the back protector in my jacket) I just need to remember to clip it back on when I get back on my bike after a stop.
  3. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    That jacket may be a wee bit :krusty ??? :lol3

On a different note, a Gerber ax is a good tool for splitting firewood :augie, I like MSR stoves and am partial to Exped tents and their sleeping pads. Sleeping bags are only needed in the winter so most of the time a liner will do..
    I'll come up with more I' sure...
    Buzztail likes this.
  4. Philip Kuntz

Philip Kuntz Fleasy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:

I was curious about that airbag vest, and found this crash test dummy guy. He is crazy, crashing motorcycles on purpose!

I bought an Aerostich R3 lite at the beginning of the summer, all black! (Got it used here on ADV) I feel very well protected in it, bought the smaller of the two back protectors. You just don't see these things in FL, but I have worn it all summer. It does not vent nearly as well as my mesh suit, and my clothing is soaked with sweat when I remove the suit, but I am not convinced that it is hotter than mesh. And it is nice not having to pull over and put on rain gear when it starts pouring. Best of all, it is so quick and easy to get in and out of. And it's less bulky around the middle than a jacket and pants. I never want to go back to a 2 piece suit.
    [​IMG]
    Easyrider 58 and Buzztail like this.
  5. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    I’d think so too, but it sees enough rain to counteract the bug guts. If I’m traveling on the superslab and see one of those vehicle windshield washers at a rear area I’ll swing through. On most street bikes I epoxy a large transmission pan magnet to the bottom to help with triggering loops at stop lights. It also works to trigger the loops on the washer. Hint- if you ride across the loops corner it’ll trigger easier. They search for a change in the magnetic field they create directly above them.
  6. motocopter

motocopter ˙˙˙ƃuᴉɥɔɹɐǝS

Oddometer:
    So, I never seem to have room for a coffee rig, required fuel, and coffee supplies.

Maybe I pack too many clothes, but even that is not a lot. This applies to my former Concours 14 and current AT with Wolfman Rocky Mountain saddlebags. Tools, spare parts, lightweight bike cover, rain gear, shower gear, jacket liner, and sometimes a one gallon Rotopax can.
    Buzztail likes this.
  7. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Mugwest likes this.
  8. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    I did early-adopter on the FirstGear "ADV" mesh jacket in 2016 so you FFs wouldn't have to.

Some Pass, some Fail.

On the Pass: it flows a shitload of air above walking pace. In 100F+ commutes it works. Arms have cinch straps (critical in any jacket) to locate the elbow armor & keep it in place in a sliding Off, which i did in 2017 on a slick wood bridge in BFE. This jacket saved my left arm & shoulder, no fkn doubt.

Fail: it's an oddball cut: i call it the Mullet jacket: long in the back like a proper 3/4 Enduro jacket but short up front like a sport jacket. That makes the big front pockets stupid-small. Looks goofy to boot.

But if Goofy saves your hide i guess i owe it something
  9. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    I was an Aeropress guy for a number of years. I’ve got two or three, and appreciate good coffee I’ve started using Franklins Finest instant. While it’s not fresh ground it is the best coffee I’ve had that just needs hot water and a stir.
    CEEAAD91-A486-4B4D-A041-AE44ECB26EA6.jpeg
  10. BillyGoat4130

BillyGoat4130 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess it is considered one of the "cheaper" gear brands, but I've been extremely happy with my Tourmaster Intake Air jacket and pants. The removable liners (thick for winter, and a thin windbreaker/rain guard) that zip in and out of the outer mesh have served me well. I've used all 3 at different points during rides and the mesh really isn't that bad during the summers here even. I know I'm at least still ATGAT compared to some squid friends riding in shorts and t shirts because "It's too damn hot for gear". I've rode in temperatures as low as the 40s during the winter with both liners in it. Grip warmers will be a necessity before heavier gear is during the winter time. You can buy it new or if you can be patient (or are cheap like me) scour ebay and shopgoodwill.com you can buy a lightly used jacket and pants separate in your sizes for probably under $100 total...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My only other contribution here is this little powerlet plug style USB charger which was a recommendation elsewhere here on ADVRider. It has caps to make it water resistant, has high charging amperage, and has served me well also. I like the fact it has 2 usb plugs as. It makes enough charge to keep my Note 8+ charging while the screen is on and at max brightness; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GSCKJWC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[​IMG]
    Easyrider 58, Davebert and Buzztail like this.
  11. BillyGoat4130

BillyGoat4130 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

I just looked that BioLite stove up. That has got to be one of the coolest camping tools I've ever saw before. The fact it has a charger on it also is mind=blown.
    Mugwest and Buzztail like this.
  12. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    I'd say you have a coffee fetish?!?..:photog

That USB charger is awesome. I got one as a door prize at my dealer about a year ago and it works like a charm!
    BillyGoat4130 and Buzztail like this.
  13. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Mine is the first gen that has been more than expected for quality, and usage. I have two because that’s just what I do. When I rode cross country a couple of years ago it was the stove I took with me. Easy to run once you know a couple of tricks, and I’ve used it at camp outs as a mini fire pit to keep folks warm when wood was scarce.
    I pulled into a campsite at Enduro State Park in NW Alabama on my way to Long Beach cold, and tired. I was able to cook, make a cup of tea, and boil water to wash up. All with two large pine cones. I’ve also got a big kettle for it that the stove nests inside for transport.
    Used it to make coffee at home not long ago just because a small limb had fallen in the front yard:nod
    8F28E142-EBBF-4D3B-92CF-940E05446D21.jpeg

F5F066BC-CDA4-4333-8427-3A683040E048.jpeg
    If you want to be really “hands off” with it just load it about 2/3 of the way with wood pellets, light it and turn the fan on. You’ll have about 45min of burn time
    One of the best pieces of kit I own!
  14. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know 'boots' come up as a frequent topic. My sampling the last ~10 years has been
    AStar Tech 3
    AStar Tech 7
    AStar Tech 10 w/booties
    SIDI Crossfire 2
    Moose something
    O'neal Element
    ICON something for short street jaunts

Among them, only the Tech 7 and Tech 10 were "new" and the others were hand me downs or sold to me by friends that didn't need them anymore and were basically like new.

I don't care what anyone says, I think if any off-road is in the forecast for your ADV ride, motocross boots IMO are the only way to go for protection. Yes, I know some people wear all these fancy gortex-super cow hide-space ship designed alternative materials, but seems I read more reports of broken feet and ankles from people wearing those than mx boots. Heck, even on street rides now, I sometimes slip on a pair.

Out of all those boots, I will say going from the $99 O'neal boots to the SIDI Crossfire 2 or AStar Tech 10, which normally retail between $439-$559ish, there is a big difference both in comfort and protection. The Crossfires were the best boot for everything, but like many, I had problems with the sole detaching from the main boot, which there are people out there that can replace them. Bonus for the SIDI is all the plastic panels are replaceable. The double hinge design is extremely comfy, so much my GF insisted on finding a pair in her size when she got into riding last year.

I currently have a pair of Tech 7s, only because I got a hookup at a reduced cost and I needed new boots last summer. Tech7s and Tech10s feel the "bigger" compared to a SIDI, but offer superior protection. My next pair will be another pair of SIDIs likely though; can't beat that double hinge design.

With that said, the O'neal Elements lasted me a long time, but they feel like you're wearing cement blocks. Tech3 is basically the same boot, just lighter and a little more flexible. I think they go for $129 now for O'neals, like $250 for Tech3s, and if you're hesitant on shelling out dough on new boots, they are good for 75% of riding. They suck for walking in though, so if lunch is a hike, be prepared to be angry at the end. My SIDI were so comfy, I worked an enduro 2 years ago, probably walked almost 3 miles in them, never thought once "I need a break from these."

In summation, if price isn't a concern, SIDI Crossfire 2/2TA is best of both worlds. Astar Tech7/tech7 enduro good option as well, about $150 less. Budget minded, probably something like an element works fine, but you'll probably be wishing you had different pair in 12-24 months time.
  15. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Got one of those USB plug ins on the way. :clap
  16. south

south Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With bikes, I generally stick to pavement, and I'm an old-school, nothing-beats-leather guy: Vanson full perf CSRV jacket for swampy Florida summers, Vanson MK2 Challenger with open/close perf chest/torso panels for cooler/variable conditions, and a Hein Gericke First Gear jacket with snap-in thermal liner on frosty days. In my world, none of them were/are inexpensive--with a couple of them, at the time of purchase, parting with that amount of money felt like passing a kidney stone--but the HG and a couple of my Vansons are still in great shape after 25+ years, including shrugging off a number of crashes, including a couple bone-breaking, bike totalling accidents. So, if you're in it for the long-haul, they're an investment that pays off more and more with every passing year. As an added bonus, they've also helped keep me in some semblance of fitness as I've gotten older--since I'm too cheap to shell out for replacement(s), I'm compelled to keep myself in decent enough shape to fit into the damn things. :-)

Helmets are Shoei, and boots and gloves are Alpinestars--because they hold up well, and they fit me well, and I'm familiar with their sizing, so new acquistions are always correct right out of the box. I do always keep one pair of gortex A* boots for soggy weather, since, unlike the rest of the stuff, boots never seem to dry-on-the-fly, and anything more than an hour or two with your feet in wet boots is not a good thing.

As for the rest, I revert back to leather: I've got this small, leather pouch that folds in half--"bi-fold", if you will--that holds my ID, vehicle docs, cash and cards, and furnishes me with food and lodging in all conditions and locations I encounter. :D
    Easyrider 58, Mugwest and Buzztail like this.
  17. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    I like it! I’ve got a short run Vanson Bomber that was what I’d call an investment purchase (the Urban GS required a hipster classic:rofl) and an HG cold weather set that likely will out last my desire to ride in that cold of weather.
    I have about 10 jackets in general, but the Kili Air is usually what I’m in (gear whore remember:thumb) I do love to slip into a nice leather jacket though!
    For boots I keep it simple.
    General purpose- ‘stitch CTB’s have been on my feet for more miles than I can remember
    Tech 10’s with booties for the really dirty work
    And Gortex Oxtar’s in a street boot for “its gonna be wet and chilly” rides.
    The CTB’s with a nice lanolin polish are clean-ish enough for riding into the office, and all day comfortable.
    Easyrider 58 likes this.
  18. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    I don’t like running out of stuff. :deal
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  19. salty_dog

salty_dog Day trips around TLH, WMAs and South Ga dirt roads

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up on the Goodwill site. Lot's of stuff.
  20. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    The older I get and the more really long trips I take, the less I seem to carry. One thing I can't seem to give up is coffee supplies. I've got a cheap Chinese folding camp stove that has served me well for quite a few years now. Have my pack weight down under 30 pounds now so I figure that I can sacrifice the added pound for cafecito.

[​IMG]
    motomike14, Mugwest, Buzztail and 2 others like this.