Let’s talk about gear!

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Buzztail, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Following up from Barber this weekend. The sleeping pad proved itself again to be comfy and well worth the current $42
    https://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Light...pad&psc=1&qid=1570482906&sprefix=klymi&sr=8-3

MSR stove didn’t topple just as my coffee was percolating :eyes

@dwrobin had several successful burns with the gen 2 biolite, and @YJake proved that you can head soup with a bud six pack carton even damp

WolfWise chair packed small and was comfy for the monies spent
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07MGF4Q4Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Set up the Chill Gorilla tarp in the yard. Have yet to form an opinion on it, but if their drunk trap reflective rope is any indication I’m sure it’ll be a success. This rope is fantastic!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075CMBM7G/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o1_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

More as it comes to me
    Flashdog and Dr.Z like this.
  2. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    ROK straps. Buy them, use them, and toss every other way that you think you have of REALLY putting something on a motorcycle OUT
  3. YJake

YJake PAR Nation Supporter

Oddometer:
    Factual statement.

-Jake
  4. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    Agree, with a caveat:
    You cured me of ever using ratchet straps again to lash gear to a bike by gifting me a set of ROX, but i still carry 2 ratchets on long hauls. There's still a place for them: from the fastest hammock ridgeline to stout tow straps for a disabled moto in field to a means to solidly lash a dead bike to TowTruck Guy's flatbed when all he has is chains & hooks.

I'll always carry a pair for the versatility :nod
  5. dwrobin

dwrobin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bit of a learning curve with the biolite, the gen2 increased the fan speeds to 4, not sure why as it only seems to work on high. You also need to go to the @Buzztail school of pine cone crushing. When using wet damp wood, patience is a virtue, it eventually burned through the wood and I had hot tea for breakfast.

Giant loop luggage is great. The Tillamook bag strapped to my coyote panniers as advertised and despite looking like it topple over if someone breathed hard on it, it remained stable on the road without issue, including at least one accidental airborne railroad crossing

For $19.95 the mini walmart backpacking chair held up really well, be interesting to see how it ages

Do nots for Florida
    1) bring a 1980's vintage 5 season sleeping bag, to heavy, to bulky, far to hot
    2) similarly a high R rated thermarest, to bulky, to hot. Mine must have been 3 times the packed volume of buzztails
    3) Klim badlands jacket, great protection and all that, but in that sort of heat, if you want to drink a 32oz water for lunch, get through a full 3 litre camel back in the afternoon, a 16oz soda for dinner and then finally manage to pee on your 3rd beer your welcome. @sperz1 induction jacket looked like a really good way to package the same body armor to me
    sperz1, Mugwest and Buzztail like this.
  6. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Ridge line- figure 9 beaners, and 550. They hold my hammock too :deal 550 has so many uses that I keep a 100’ hank or two with me- always
    Tow strap is filled with the end of a long ratchet that’s rolled flat. Wrap the pegs of each and stand on em so either FF can let go. Axe @sanjoh if this is a good idea :rofl:p3rrythis rolls up about the size of a biscuit, and I’ve always got half dead straps to make new ones from.
    Lashing a dead bike on a trailer. I concede that. Not many other choices, and I’ve pulled extras out of my kit to lash down a GS onto my trailer in the past..... I keep a pair of bar wraps for using big rusty shit to hook a bike up. I used a pair of the figure 9’s and 550 to hook up a dead SV650 in a truck for a guy last year. Would I haul my stuff cross country like that? Nope, but it beat anything else we had at the time.
    All that said, I like what I carry to have multiple uses to warrant a spot in my kit, and ratchets do exactly that. :thumb
    Ginger Beard, sanjoh and Mugwest like this.
  7. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    That gets important with any K bike or oilhead that has no "frame". Brother Towmeister might want to strap these bikes down on the sidestand and that's a cracked crankcase ready to happen-- frameless bikes have the stands screwed directly into the alu cases.
    Buzztail likes this.
  8. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    agree. I see way too many a bike hauling down the road on the sidestand. One of those yokels hauling a frameless set up is apt to break something for sure. When we strapped Happy’s 1150 to my blue trailer we used a combo of contact points to secure. I recall using the crash bars as a main lashing point. But really, how often do these bikes come in on alternative transport:D
    This case was a flat that we couldn’t get to seat no matter what which-craft we brewed. I wouldn’t wanted to have tied that big bitch down with 550 cord by no means.
  9. Philip Kuntz

Philip Kuntz Fleasy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    What recommendations for a magnetic tank bag that’s not too big? If like something that’s easy to swap between the KLR and UGS. I love the Wolfman Enduro that I use now, but you know... straps and what not
  11. kelly duke 2000

kelly duke 2000 Retired, Gone Riding

Oddometer:
    Also like the klymet pad, however the free just pay shipping pillow sucks
    Buzztail likes this.
  12. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    love my Thermarest pillow. Doesn’t pack super small, but it’s worth it to me to now worry about being comfortable.
    Philip Kuntz likes this.
  13. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
  14. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Have you used that one?
  15. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Not that one specifically but a now discontinued joe rocket that looks and measures like that (sans pockets). The sloping back end make it less obtrusive.

dirtninja2.jpg
    Buzztail likes this.
  16. ADVNeophyte

ADVNeophyte How do you do this?

Oddometer:
    Philip Kuntz and Huzband like this.
  17. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    I’m hoping to find one that I can wear off the bike as a cod piece:deal
    Philip Kuntz and Mugwest like this.
  18. rider1150gsadv