1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Let’s talk about gear!

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Buzztail, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    There’s a thread down in the camping section where they’re talking about saws. Lots of good recommendations there, but here’s mine-
    Bahco Laplander. I’ve got a couple of these, and they are amazingly fast when processing wood. Capable of more tedious work of shelter building is needed, but it’s not whittling knife or carving saw. Just a light weight, brute tough little saw:deal
    DA57C472-C1BC-40D0-B78F-EE4C2F8CB456.jpeg
  2. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    What kind of oil do you lube that with?
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  3. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    I run it DRY :evil
    Ginger Beard and rider1150gsadv like this.
  4. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like dry lube myself...... :D

..for my bicycle chain! Get your mind out of the gutter...:lol3
    Mugwest likes this.
  5. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

6. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
  7. Buzztail

Oddometer:

I had a Silky in the past. The Laplander is as good or better. I’ve never broken a blade on any of mine, and one has seen a substantial amount of use over the years. The fix for snapped blades is tell them fuckers to get their own saw:rofl
    I much prefer the lock on the Bacho to the Silky too. That’s just personal preference

somewhere around here is a Gerber(?) kit folder that has multiple blades in it, and a belt pouch.I’ve only ever used the course one because I’m not trying to make a career out of smooth cut wood, and I have too much shit on my belt already
    Hatch likes this.
  8. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    The Bacho cut a boat load of giant bamboo in the Everglades back in 2011 and never missed a beat. I still have the bamboo canteen I made when doing the Pathfinder class
  9. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    Sounds like I'll have to try one
    Buzztail likes this.
  10. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    So let's talk gear... Weight!!

Just did 2500 miles with a solid mix of paved road, dirt road/forestry road and singletrack. I'm currently at 29 lbs all in with bags and winter gear (minus Camelbak) and though light, it still seems like too much. I can toss 2.25 lbs by losing the chair but there's not much else that isn't a necessity.

So, how much weight do y'all carry? And offroad? Or just off pavement?
  11. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Doesn’t sound too bad including the winter gear. I worry more often about pack size vs weight. I’ll also often take something that weighs more and serves multiple functions. Might be a zero net for weight, but saves on the pack size. I’d bet if you break everything down to a component level you could shed some, but not much. Comfort is also important :deal
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  12. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    AD0B01B6-84DF-4739-857F-06DC484F537C.jpeg

that’s a little over the top- I only carry two knives:lol3
    Ginger Beard and Huzband like this.
  13. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Looks more like a shopping list...:lol3
  14. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    I agree, comfort over weight, like function over form. I’d rather have it and not need it than the other way around, specially when it comes to my sleeping gear.. YMMV
  15. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    I'm weight over comfort all day. Not to say comfort isn't in mind but I want to ride. Camping is what I do in bewtween riding intervals. :D

I try to pack things that pull double duty. Ultimately it comes down ro just giving up some things or picking better gear. My clothes need to be gone over. That's a bunch of bulk that I'm sure could be reduced. Only used the chair twice in two weeks. Think it's gone on the next offroad trip. Lighter rain gear is coming too.
  16. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    When I went cross country on the DL650 I agonized over what to take, and what was not going to make the trip. I took too much shit, but very little went unused along the way. A few things could well have been consolidated into less “items” to do the same job. I also packed grub so I was able to be totally self sufficient aside from fuel, and water.
    81067157-A614-4FA6-AC41-997F69BE04E1.jpeg

Since that ride I’ve made changes that would nearly allow everything to fit in the side bags without giving up comfort. Side note- I only needed my chair two nights out of the six. Most campgrounds had tables. I’m sure the others had sites with tables, but I didn’t dig deep. Those two nights were far more comfortable in the Kermit chair than on a bench.

F9214FD9-95E3-457F-B15B-DED64232F671.jpeg
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  17. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    good points:nod
    For me it’s honestly half and half. Some days I camp because I want to ride somewhere close by. Others I ride to somewhere I want to camp. I have to be ready for either scenario. If it’s just about the ride then a hammock and enough cold weather gear to sleep in is THE way to go unless you’re headed out west.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  18. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

I almost pulled the trigger on a hammock. Weight was similar to my single vestibule 2 pole tent and after seeing a buddy sleep on the ground in his due to being at a state park that didn't allow people to tie off, I nixed the idea. Still a cool setup but not for me.

I try to plan trips for either riding destinations or camping destinations. For the latter I bring the kitchen sink. :nod
    Buzztail and YJake like this.
  19. Mugwest

Mugwest "You mean the REAL world!?"

Oddometer:
    I went Old Skool sev years back & finally got my own Sven-saw-- I'd wanted one ever since my Boy Scout years back in the late 1800s. Pleased to report Svens are still made in Duluth and as stout as ever. Quality :nod

It's 17+" stowed so not the most compact option, but ho lee chit that BLADE-- this is a gnarly-tooth blade like you'd find on a fullsize 2-handed bow-saw. It's assembled reach means 5-6" max dia limbs so yr not going to replace a chainsaw, but i got it for TAT ops. Straps well to any bike with
    rudimentary rack-- even basic stock DR rack.

What oil do i use on the blade? High-temp 3M silicone paste :D
  20. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    If I were Moto camping only I could deal with the Sven. My Bacho rides in my backpack, and it’s with me when I leave the house. I do carry a Cold Steel Kukri on the pack as well. It is the same one I used back in 2011. On the sheath is a plain bastard file for field sharpening.

43AEF376-7568-4DFA-AA3B-DF7E1231D103.jpeg

for me it’s a good combination in the event I have some unplanned camping
    Ginger Beard likes this.