'let the beauty you love be what you do'

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by txxr, Aug 8, 2006.

1. txxr

txxr Big gulps eh?

Oddometer:
    What would become my most pure expression of movement and free spirited ambitions across the United States began with less than 2 days preparation. Over the next 3 months I would ride with nothing more than a '05 xr400 and whatever gear i could pile onto the fender for more the 3500 miles. Before the engine had even been coaxed to a start for the first time, the trip was showing signs of a true epic. Signs like the mounting pile of 'necessities' to be loaded on the bike, the uncertain route and the inaccessibility of my most of my stuff which had been stored at my parents house for the past several months were only compounded by jet lag from the 15 hour plane ride the day before.

[​IMG]
  2. txxr

txxr Big gulps eh?

Oddometer:
    I headed out late sunday afternoon from dallas with plans to get as far as i could. Ultimately I had to be in Moab in 2 days but that was nearly 1000 miles away and at 65mph they dont roll off too fast. At the time though, nothing could stop me. The horribly dull SH 287 from Dallas to Amarillo (which i have had the misfortune of riding a few times before) now had become more inviting and inspiring than any stretch of road. In true motorcycle style I embraced the wind and the seemingly endless sunset while singing every song i knew out loud. I had a whole country to see, money to spend and if that road was 3500 miles i would have ridden it to the end.
  3. txxr

txxr Big gulps eh?

Oddometer:
    It was now Tuesday morning. After having been pulled over somewhere in texas for standing on my pegs through a town, falling asleep on a roadside picnic table, mistakenly chewing on my earplugs that got mixed in with a hand full of skittles and many leg stretching stops i was closing in on Moab, utah. I had decided that my first stop would be there as a volunteer for the Primal Quest Expedition Adventure Race.

[​IMG]
  4. Dessert Storm

Dessert Storm Dances With Drunks

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. bpeterson

bpeterson no other way to say it

Oddometer:
    looks good so far. let's have some more! :lurk
  7. Medicine Creek

Medicine Creek 127.0.0.1 Supporter

Oddometer:
    an xr400, this should be good. :ear
  8. txxr

txxr Big gulps eh?

Oddometer:
    I rolled into the Red cliffs lodge just NW of moab where the race was headquartered out of. I had no experience and no idea what Adventure racing was about but i was there to find out. I was intended to help with general race logistics and transportation but when race staff saw the motorcycle they were immediately interested in my ability to reach remote parts of the race corse.

[​IMG]

2 days before the race was to start i set out with john howard (who i would soon learn was the lance armstrong of adventure racing) to route find and set race markings for the first 50+ miles of the race corse.

[​IMG]

For the first several miles after the race start teams would be traveling with a horse over some very rugged and extremely remote terrain. (there were 98 teams by the way....this race was huge) The dendritic drainage patters leading out of the mountains resulted in a maze of slot canyons and valleys which they feared the teams could easily get lost in. And since they were traveling with horses, scaling the rock to navigate the ridges was not possible. John howard and i spent an entire day, on the motorcycle finding a route between the start and the first transition area beyond the 'drainage fields' because if the motorcycles could make it, a horse could too. Lane splitting is the closest thing i that resembles riding through one of the slot canyons....only the red sandstone and soft silt made it way more dramatic.
    [​IMG]
  9. tipstall

tipstall Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I also like the choice of bike.
  10. switchback

switchback Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer:

I stand up in about every town I travel through to stretch. Is stretching illegal?
    :rolleyes :loco :confused :dunno
  11. txxr

txxr Big gulps eh?

Oddometer:
    The first 3rd of the race took place just Nw of Green River, Utah and i was stoked to find out that some of the roads we would be traveling on were parts of the Trans ams Trail.

[​IMG]

a sketched out road near canyon lands NP
    [​IMG]
  12. GnarlyKarle

GnarlyKarle aka: ici_moto

Oddometer:
    :clap :lurk
  13. txxr

txxr Big gulps eh?

Oddometer:
    I, by the way, am john.....Just a young guy. My mind is malleable, my ambitions run thick and i dont want to waste my time doing things....i want to enjoy being things. Aspire not to be the joyful summer bums working in the mountains who dance among the sunset flowers. Aspire to be the heart in the rhythm of the trees, to rise on the wind and shake stories from their leaves.
    [​IMG]
  14. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike" Supporter

Oddometer:
    who brought the shrooms...?

15. txxr

txxr Big gulps eh?

Oddometer:
    Actually, A little bit of my linguistic ambience was inspired by william blake

Ah! sunflower, weary of time,
    Who countest the steps of the sun,
    Seeking after that sweet golden clime
    Where the traveller’s journey is done;

Where the youth pined away with desire,
    And the pale virgin shrouded in snow,
    Arise from their graves and aspire;
    Where my sunflower wishes to go.

--William Blake (1757-1827) P. 1793
  16. txxr

txxr Big gulps eh?

Oddometer:
    It had been about 2 weeks since i arrived in Moab and so naturally, it was time to leave. I headed north up the colorado/Utah border. An amazing ride id like to do again with my dad some day. It had finally began to set in that i was not just going places....i was traveling.... A creation of distance and a representation of where i had been. I was like a ball of well traveled sticky tack, picking up bits and hints of encounters, interactions and dirt.

[​IMG]

You instantly realize how much more you can learn on your own when you go out with an intent to absorb and observe. I struggle with this as i try to complete school by listening to half enthused teachers who stand in front of a windowless room and tell me to consume, spend and do what what im told. Where highway 191 crosses the oregon trail was a memorable section along the ride toward idaho and the tetons.

[​IMG]
  17. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    excellent - please continue.
  18. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. stupidfatkid

stupidfatkid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :super
  20. scottr

scottr Banned

Oddometer:
    Pedernales R., Tx Hill Country (Ihadthisavatar1st)
    Hey, the kid can write. Can't spel to gud but very creative and readable. This could be epic. Go John GO!:clap:clap:clap

(careful with that poetry ... you could hurt yourself) :hide :zilla