Lets beat the dead horse! South Dakota plate in California?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Jonny360, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Jonny360

Jonny360 Guest

California resident here, california ID, california address. South Dakota will plate anything anywhere. So what happens when you get pulled over? You have everything legal, turn signals, horn, insurance, etc. I imagine the only ticket you can get is for not registering the vehicle in california? Whats the fine for that? What if the vehicle is registered to a non resident . (say a parent that lives in another state and you're just borrowing their bike...)? Thoughts opinions lets hear it.
  2. nrvale0

nrvale0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've heard rumor of situations where they will impound the vehicle though I don't know anyone who has had that happen. You can be sure State will come after you with both barrels for "back taxes" in the form of reg fees/road tax + fines. If the vehicle is titled to an out-of-state resident then I don't think there's much they can do unless they have some sort of proof that you have had it in your possession and in-state for some time.

IMO, it doesn't make sense risk:reward. You get very little benefit in terms of savings and if you gamble and lose you will lose big.
  3. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    Call the closest board of equalization. I have a friend who got caught with an RV registered out of state. You won’t like their answer.
    Piss off one neighbor who turns you in, and then tell us how well it worked out for you.
    This state has a lot of illegal healthcare to pay for.
    typeamark, capt42104 and Dan Diego like this.
  4. Jonny360

Jonny360 Guest

The thing is, and that I should have probably mentioned originally, this is for a 2 stroke dirtbike. One that's legal in 49 states... So California isn't actually missing out on any taxes, since they won't let me pay to register it in California. I can't imagine they could impound it. It's still a legal road vehicle. I'd think all they could do is fine for not registering within 20 days.
  5. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Tell them it's registered to your father; who has the same name. (not uncommon)

You're just borrowing it.
    mung likes this.
  6. Jonny360

Jonny360 Guest

Actually that was totally an idea I had. It will be annoying to go through the process if changing the registration to his name but might be worth it.
  7. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Alternately, you could just sell it to him.

You will have a problem, though, if you're seen on the streets, much. I had a couple semesters of college in New York State, while I was legally a resident of Ohio. And unlike most college kids of the time, I had a car - to get me back and forth to work. I also lived off-campus.

The cops in the medium-sized city took notice, and I was pulled over several times for warnings of registration. The car legally belonged to my father - saved me insurance. At the time, the cops didn't know what to do with the question. Today, they'd happily seize the car as unregistered.

So...if you're out on the bike infrequently, no problem likely. If you're out every day, John Law will probably notice.
  8. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    So even if someone paid you,could you keep anti CA bullshit out of this?
    Tell us what healthcare has to do with a south dakota plate in CA.
  9. FJKai

FJKai Off Road Lurker

Oddometer:
    Cops have seen and heard all sorts of "it's from out of state, it's my father's bike, I just moved, I'm moving, I didn't know, etc., etc., etc.. This type of stuff has been going on for MANY years with trying to legalize dirt bikes so you're not fooling them, it's all documented in paper work. You may get some noobie cop that's not totally sure, but it'll eventually catch up with you. "It ain't their first rodeo!"
    brgsprint and shinyribs like this.
  10. Jonny360

Jonny360 Guest

That's all good and well. But fact is the law is the law. If your within the law, like borrowing an out of state bike. Not much they can do.
  11. MrGadalot

MrGadalot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would think that a smoker will attract attention on the road since it is not common, especially with out of state plate. Not sure if the story will work, but I think the cop is going to call BS in his head and may cite you for what he can. Running DOT tires, tail lamps, turn signals, headlamp, high/low beam functionality? May become a hassle.

If it was a 4 stroke that appeared road compliant and you kept a low profile, you probably would not be bothered.
  12. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Every cop around you will know it's not legal. It's a gamble and no story is gonna through them off their game. When you get caught it won't be pretty.
  13. Jonny360

Jonny360 Guest

If you are legit an out of state resident and visiting its totally legal. If you move and get your residency you have 20 days to register in CA. Not saying you wouldn't get some kinda fine for not registering if he could prove it had been 20 days. But I don't think it's gonna be a big ugly deal.
  14. ericm

ericm Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll be on an unusual vehicle and a very unusual plate. If a cop with a memory sees you a few times they'll probably pull you over, and with a CA license that shows you're a long time resident you'll probably get told to get it off the road immediately and register it correctly... unless the cop has a bug up their butt or is having a bad day or you're anything other than polite. Then it'll be worse. At that point it's probably cheaper to buy a brand new CA street legal DP bike.
    Troll 55 and shinyribs like this.
  15. breakdirt916

breakdirt916 CA PLATED 94 YZ250 2-STROKE

Oddometer:
    I have one that is California plated! Got questioned twice...once downtown at the Long Beach Grand Prix by a moto cop...once my muffler was inspected prior to a dual sport event for a spark arrester. The LB moto cop that hassled me yelled that it was not street legal (did not care if the VIn matches the reg) and finally got me on not having rear signals...left (mostly destroyed by the desert)

Honestly I am not hassled much outside of that...Both areas were not super picky. One was the hood in Long Beach (the neighbors thought it was cool), the other is around Trabuco canyon$ on the main roads (portola, glen ranch, Silverado) so not many souls around to bother. I ride once a week tops...and most of the time we truck 2-3 hours to get to the desert/mountain to ride anyways.

YMMV
    Davethestick likes this.
  16. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    If if if...all those ifs but you know that's not really the case, just what you're hoping they'll believe. But they've heard it and seen it all before.
    whisperquiet likes this.
  17. Jonny360

Jonny360 Guest

Yup! Already spent the money! Time to take the ride. :clap
  18. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Just to be clear, I'm on your side. I think it's BS and all, just don't get too upset if you get pinched :lol3

I recently got caught on some less than legal bike stuff. I'm only out $25 for the fee and $66 in court cost, so no biggie for me.
  19. Jonny360

Jonny360 Guest

What did you get caught with? My bike doesn't have DOT tires, but then neither did my old dualsport. Everything else is legal. Got a horn, blinkers, lights, speedo. I'm also not in one of the cities, we have OHV routes from the edge of town but unfortunately they don't go through town so having a plate has its benefits there. If I get stopped and a ticket i'll probably try and "sell it" to a family member out of state and just borrow it. In 2 years with my old dualsport I never was stopped so we'll just see!
  20. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Got caught with no inspection sticker. I can get the bike through inspection, but it involves favors that I don't like to take advantage of. I mean, the bike is street titled, legally, and is insured- but it lacks some features. Mainly lack of DOT tires.

Been riding for over 12 years. Just bought my first inspection sticker- ever- on Tuesday of this week :D