Lets beat the dead horse! South Dakota plate in California?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Jonny360, Aug 28, 2019.

1. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    Figure it out yourself
    Traxx and Dan Diego like this.
  2. DirtDog43

DirtDog43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2666F78F-7CCD-44D3-81F4-802CDFF0DA6E.png 2018 KTM 300 XCW plated it in Arizona used a friends address and got Arizona insurance. Also got Arizona ID.I have a Cal DL live in Simi Valley ca and the cops have nothing better to do than look for violations. I ride it periodically on the street. And I’ve been sitting at a stop light with a cop right next to me I could feel him eyeballing the bike I looked over and gave a slight head nod. We both took off from the light he slowed down got behind me and followed me for about a mile. I thought well this is it I’ll find out what happens. He pulled back around next to me and kept going. I have all the street legal equipment and whenever I’m on the street I try not to draw attention. If I see any police I’m extra cautious by short shifting the bike keeping the rpm’s low. I feel if you are not drawing attention to your self you can avoid the problems before they start.
    Davethestick likes this.
  3. Jonny360

Jonny360 Guest

Can you get an ID in a state you aren't a resident of? If thats all I gotta do that seems reasonable.
  4. MrGadalot

MrGadalot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you have assets and carry liability insurance be careful to accurately disclose garaging address if registered out of state. Have a big claim, maybe hit a hiker, they can deny your coverage if garaging address is not correct. This would worry me more than the registration part.
    shinyribs likes this.
  5. Jonny360

Jonny360 Guest

My insurance card doesn't list an address on it at all. So unless something shows up on a cops computer I think you can just put in the address where its actually stored at...
  6. MrGadalot

MrGadalot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, some folks try to avoid both registration, higher insurance rates and property tax (big RVs) and keep it all out of state but garage in CA. They get a big surprise when a loss happens. Not sure if insurance companies share garaging address with DMV but I suspect not.
  7. FJKai

FJKai Off Road Lurker

Oddometer:
    Haha! Having lived in Simi most my life, I concur. However, living in california my whole life too, the whole out of state registration and etc. has been going on for years and years, and equally so, powers that be have gradually gotten more and more wise to every which way you can try to present it. And as @MrGadalot pointed out, insurance companies are doing everything they can to deny claims so that's one more thing to worry about.

More power to you guys for trying to work the system and I wish you (continued) luck. But I'm over all that type of stuff. I used to do that type of stuff, tried to weasel around the Red Sticker system back in the day, went under/ around fences to ride and etc. (@DirtDog43 should remember the good 'ole days of illegally riding in the simi hills and sneaking into Honda Land). But those days are long gone, or are things I'm just not into doing. I've done my share of bad karma riding things and I just don't care to do it anymore. No more stress or being antsy when I see a cop or a park ranger checking bikes and etc.. It's an awesome feeling when you are 100% legit and have no fear or concerns to engage with and argue/ disagree with a cop, or call them out on their bull$hit.
  8. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whatever you decide, if you get pulled over, just tell them the inmates here told you it was OK.
  9. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    ...........plead insanity!
    Buildzall and brgsprint like this.
  10. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    If you don't come to the attention of local law enforcement by drawing attention to yourself and don't piss off your neighbors so that one reports the registration violation, you probably won't have a problem. If you put your name on the registration (or even your CA address which I have seen on South Dakota registrations), you're pretty much done should the officer decide to cite.

If you do get cited for the registration violation, it won't be easy to get that taken care of. Selling the vehicle won't clear the violation if cited for 4000a1 VC - CA registration required. If you have a driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement, don't get arrested and the vehicle is registered, it can't be impounded. If for some reason the vehicle is stored/impounded, there's a box on the impound form (CHP 180) which allows the vehicle to be held until properly registered should the officer believe probable cause exists that the vehicle should be registered in CA.

I'm retired CHP and have more than a passing familiarity with registration laws of California.
    Traxx, Honda-50, villageidiot and 2 others like this.
  11. nrvale0

nrvale0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It has to do with CA shaking everyone, well, at least all of the plebs down at every chance. He's not wrong.

OP, you will get the book thrown at you if you get caught. It's not worth it. Or maybe to you it is but expect to get impounded at some point.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  12. Jonny360

Jonny360 Guest

I guess i'm just not as concerned as you guys. Impounded over what? How can they prove when the bike came into the state? Say "oh I just brought it from my families back home I didn't realize I had to get it registered here." What are they gonna cite you with?
  13. jonz

Oddometer:
    An impound is not authorized if the bike is registered for street use due to registration alone. I mentioned other factors above. Whether or not you get cited depends on a lot of things. With your reply above, it would probably be a cite for 4000a1VC - CA registration required which can (or at least is could when I retired) be a correctable violation so no real fine just an administrative fee.
  14. Jonny360

Jonny360 Guest

Why not? Can't you simply ignore it and stop riding it on the street? Or just say "CA won't let me register it for street" the end?
  15. jonz

Oddometer:
    The citation will be issued to you, not the motorcycle. If you ignore the citation, you'll have a warrant for failure to correct/appear and eventually your driver's license will be suspended.
  16. Jonny360

Jonny360 Guest

That's fine and all. I still don't understand why just showing that you can't get ca registration isn't going to take care of the violation? You said it would be difficult to take care of the violation? But seems straightforward enough.
  17. MrGadalot

MrGadalot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just received a correctable violation on my truck. $25 plus proof of correction. Or, $195 bail without correction.

If you cannot correct, I am guessing you will have a fine to pay and then walk away. No big deal.
  18. keithg

keithg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would listen to the retired CHP officer
    Traxx, mylsmkj, Sertguy and 3 others like this.
  19. MrGadalot

MrGadalot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As a CA resident with no out of state options, I gave up on plating a dirt bike in CA due to the DMV being more strict these days. My neighbor had a plated Yamaha 450 that I was looking at but chickened out after reading how the DMV will probably reject the title transfer since it should not have been plated in the first place. Option 2, spend $3-4K more to buy a legally plated bike vs. a non plated bike.

If you can have a parent properly register it in the state of their residence and you are borrowing the bike, not sure what they can do other than call BS and cite you. Then you will pay a fine $200-$500 (my guess) vs. the mark up on an expensive plated CA bike. If registered to you and you have a CA license, almost guaranteed to be paying a fine at some point.

Bikers are risk takers by nature, so why not roll the dice and see what happens....Its just money (I mean taxation) in the end. Not like you are going to jail.
  20. Jonny360

Jonny360 Guest

Who said were not listening?

Thats the thing, they can't just "call BS" thats not how it works. They can't cite you for not having CA registration when you are borrowing a bike belonging to someone else and registered in another state....