Lets beat the dead horse! South Dakota plate in California?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Jonny360, Aug 28, 2019.

1. MrGadalot

MrGadalot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would disagree. An officer can always cite you for what he believes is a violation, which then forces you to court to prove innocence or pay the bail to avoid the court date. Not all people who receive citations are guilty.
  2. Jonny360

Jonny360 Guest

Judge- "Why don't you have registration on this motorcycle?"

Me- "I don't own the motorcycle."

Judge- "This cop is an idiot and wasted our time."
  3. FJKai

FJKai Off Road Lurker

Oddometer:
    Good luck with any argument you come up with Bubbles. But I'm sure it won't be the first time they've heard it.
  4. Jonny360

Jonny360 Guest

Another friend just got his new 300 plated out of state, now we'll have double the opportunity to test stories! ahhahahaha
  5. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    Depends where in the state. In San Diego the cops won't think twice. Seems about 10% vehicles I see are out of state. Wife and I have been here 6 months, not pulled over yet in any of our trucks or bikes, all of which have out of state plates.

If a military base is near, I'd bet in the clear
    tntmo and mnnden like this.
  6. Jonny360

Jonny360 Guest

You can't pull someone over for an out of state plate. Would have to be some other violation to be pulled over in the first place.
    khager likes this.
  7. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    duh :norton

evidently i decided not to think at all today
  8. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    They come up with the smallest reason to pull you over.... When they want.
    vector6 likes this.
  9. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Eventually, you can probably get the violation taken care of but it will not be a straightforward, 1 step process. While it SHOULD be easy, it isn't. The registration violation has a set of requirements specific to that violation one of which being the violation must be corrected before the case can be cleared. Mind you, my experience is from 6+ years ago so case law may have changed and the process certainly widely from county to county.
  10. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2006 Jeep Liberty diesel in Las Vegas because they didn't sell them in CA. I drove it for a year with Nevada plates, never got pulled over or anything, my neighbor down the street has a summer house in Idaho, he has his vehicles registered there, he's been driving they with Idaho plates for 25 years, never a problem
  11. rickr84

rickr84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have personally wondered about these technicality answers such as "I just brought it into the state last week". Even if they see you again a month later, couldn't you say you left, and came back in? I personally have great respect for police officers, so I dont want to really be an asshole lying to their face... but in all honesty, I have a newish bike I bought from Nevada because it was such a great deal (saved thousands) and I cant get it registered yet because it doesnt have 7500 miles. My options are to get an out of state plate and ride it (with insurance), or buy a higher miles odometer and get it through the DMV. Which is better? Out of state plate, or mild odometer fraud?
  12. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    They may try to get you for fraud, which would not be solved by fixing the vehicle registration. The only way this would happen is if a cop took a special interest in you after seeing you numerous times riding around with out of state plates. If you don't ride it that often, I would think the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

Here is a scenario that could explain the extended presence of the bike in CA:

Dad was here on vacation last year with his street legal 2-stroke motorcycle. He was having trouble with it, so he left it here with his son to work on. The bike is a tough case, and it has taken a lot of work, and a test ride each time to work out the bugs. Son plans to take a road trip "soon" to return the bike to Dad now that it's running right. Son is a good boy for helping his dear old Dad like that. :beer
  13. rickr84

rickr84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With this story you're admitting the bike has been in the state for a long time and they would have all he evidence they need by the officer simply restating what you said.

The problem with statements like that is the officer might even feel obligated to cite you when you fully admit guilt.

If you say "i just bought it" or "I just brought it into the state last week" the officer can atleast tell himself he did his job and still be friendly. Honestly I don't know officers thinking, but I've always found if I didn't admit anything but was still friendly, things went better.

I wish an officer would reply and tell us their thoughts on these things. I'm sure they WANT to reduce speeding and drunk driving, but are they really into citing out of state plates so much that they'd press the issue if given a generic "I just brought it in this weekend?"
  14. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Is there a limit on how long you can work on your parent's vehicle?

Also, I was imagining a scenario where the cop had seen you riding the bike a few times over the last year(s). If you say you just brought it into the state, the cop will have you dead to rights in a lie, and I can assure you the friendliness stops there.
  15. rickr84

rickr84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is no limit to how long you can work on your parents vehicle. There IS a limit to how long your parents can bring a vehicle into the state, and not register it, even if they leave it in their sons hands to work on it for whatever claimed reason. It might be different if it was trucked into the state and never ridden on the roads. But once you start riding it as part of your repair work, and they see you as they say, "Ive just been working on it!!!" wont really help IMO.

This must be a very small town where they memorize vehicles. Even if that is the case, Id prefer to say the vehicle enters and leaves the state often, but never stays long enough to be registered, aka its always visiting.

Edit: Ive personally always thought that as long as the vehicle was insured, they'd probably let you off. Its the no insurance that usually gets problems started.
  16. DirtDog43

DirtDog43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    9650D651-F4A6-4AAD-84F7-65E42FD27089.jpeg I guess I rolled the dice again last weekend. Took the 300 to breakfast and across town. If It’s just a citation I will pay it. I’ve had almost 2 years of riding this bike and being able to do the dual sport riding has been worth it to me. I’ll keep you posted if luck changes.
  17. Kyron

Kyron Oncler Inds

Oddometer:
    Ya'll keep over thinking this .......... just do it
    Wasapinepig and DirtDog43 like this.
  18. DirtDog43

DirtDog43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    100% agree
  19. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    The owner and registration don't need to be from the same address/state, nor even be the same person. Even if your dad in SD legally owns it, if it's kept in and primarily operated in CA, then it needs to be registered here. And yes, a cop can stop you for out of state plates if they have reason to believe you're a resident.

Does the bike have 7,500 miles on it? If so, you could probably do some ownership do-se-do with out of state family and get it registered here... I think...

Here's the bottom line - even if the cop is wrong, no one ever in the history of ever had changed a cop's mind on the spot, so you're minimally dealing with courtroom hassles. And at the end of the day, you're breaking the law and you know it.

If you don't want to pay CA taxes, my advice is to not live in CA.
    pvt joker likes this.
  20. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer: