Lets beat the dead horse! South Dakota plate in California?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Jonny360, Aug 28, 2019.

1. rickr84

rickr84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For 99% of people thinking about these tricks, its not to avoid paying some registration fee or taxes. For some, they're trying to get around California's annoying rules that state that even if your bike is fully legal in California, the fact that you brought it from Nevada with 800 miles, you need to have 7500 miles before you can actually registered it. This is the same rule for cars... except that 7500 miles for a car is 6 months of use, where as for a dual sport bike it may be a decade. Why hasn't california ever updated this policy to make a distinction for out of state motorcycles vs out of state cars? Who knows. They either dont give a shit about the people this affects, or they actively don't want motorcycles brought in from out of state.

For most, it's the ability to plate a dirt bike that has been modified with lights and speedo, which makes it about as safe as any other vehicle on the road, except that california just doesn't want them to exist.

If California made these bikes go to a brake and light inspection, and then charge a $500 onetime plate fee, I bet post people would pay their 'tax' and be satisfied.
    atpalmer likes this.
  2. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Sorry, but this isn't true. CA doesn't care where a bike came from if it meets CA's emissions rules and is certified to operate on public roads when manufactured. No need to wait for 7,500 miles.

If it's only 49-state certified it needs to have more than 7,500 miles on it. If it's a car, you'll need to pass a smog check (unless it's super old), which could be tough. No smog check for bikes, so no issues with a 49-state bike.
  3. rickr84

rickr84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're correct I forgot about this detail regarding being exempt from the 7500 mile rule if CA compliant. Regardless, most bikes don't have the sticker even if they are practically the same (my 06 R1 is from Nevada, doesn't have the sticker, yet appears to be virtually identical to me).

Point is, they make people break the law to get around rules that appear totally random. Non compliant car? Must have been driven for a few months and then you're fine!! Non compliant TW200?? Better be driven for 7500 miles at an average speed of 32 mph for years or no way is it getting in!
  4. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve seen newer FJR 1300’s that are not 50 state legal - no sticker. Crazy rules even fir road bikes.
  5. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm not really understanding the problem if we're talking about models that have versions legal in CA. CA is the largest motorcycle market in the country by quite a margin. I have a hard time believing anyone has to go buy a bike out of state to get the model they want, or to get a good deal.

My 2012 Ducati came from Pennsylvania originally and is 50-state legal. I'm going to look at a KTM 690 tomorrow in Arizona that's also 50-state legal.

As for differences, I think the charcoal cannister and related plumbing is all that's different on a CA bike vs a 49-state. Many manufacturers are only building 50-state bikes (and cars) now, so the issue will get less and less...
  6. MrGadalot

MrGadalot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In California, with dirt bikes, it is all about access. CA has been continuously reducing open space that non-plated bikes can ride in and even further limits by season for non-emission compliant bikes. A plated dirt bike opens up a lot of opportunities, such as Death Valley and Mojave, as examples. But, these plated bikes cost a huge premium over non-plated bikes, especially non-plated out of state. It is frustrating for many because in other states you can get a good deal on a non-plated bike (new or used), add a few hundred dollars of DOT crap and register it for full access. It has nothing to do with tax evasion and everything to do with extreme emission standards.

Sure, you can pay $10K plus for a new CA plated 4 stroke and have it all. But, that is a lot of $ for many and kind of sucks if you already have a bike that does the job but is limited by season and location. Even used plated bikes command a premium price.
    socalnative likes this.
  7. T4EaterJonny

T4EaterJonny Not too hip...

Oddometer:
    Trail access is becoming tougher even for plated bikes. Gates are closed 90% of the time or closed until further notice.. I bought a plated xr600r years ago and don't regret a thing. A ktm 500 would be cool, but I’m a shitty rider. I would hardly feel the benefit of such a capable bike.
    socalnative likes this.
  8. ExarKun

ExarKun Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok so to throw another wrench in the monkey show.... what if you are retired and live half the year somewhere else and the other half in Cali which state takes precedence in the registration?
  9. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Whichever individual state you spend the most time in is where you register it. If it's close to an even split I supposed it'd be hard to prove, but if you're here for 9 months and in Idaho for 3 it ain't gonna fly, especially if you're registered to vote here, carry a CA license, etc.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr33
  10. ExarKun

ExarKun Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I feel you, I maintain all my documents, vote, license ect there but swap out insurance to were I'm at.
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  11. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Which state do you pay income taxes in? Which state do you pay property taxes in? I'd start with those.

You run into problems when your address on your insurance doesn't match your driver's license. It's up to you if you want to deal with the hassles when stopped by LEO. So many of them will write you a ticket and let the judge sort it out in your dime.
  12. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    A good place to start is the definition of resident in section 516 CVC:

CODE TEXT
    VEHICLE CODE - VEH
    DIVISION 1. WORDS AND PHRASES DEFINED [100 - 681]

( Division 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

“Resident” means any person who manifests an intent to live or be located in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis. Presence in the state for six months or more in any 12-month period gives rise to a rebuttable presumption of residency.

The following are evidence of residency for purposes of vehicle registration:

(a) Address where registered to vote.

(b) Location of employment or place of business.

(c) Payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education.

(d) Attendance of dependents at a primary or secondary school.

(e) Filing a homeowner’s property tax exemption.

(f) Renting or leasing a home for use as a residence.

(g) Declaration of residency to obtain a license or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to a nonresident.

(h) Possession of a California driver’s license.

(i) Other acts, occurrences, or events that indicate presence in the state is more than temporary or transient.

(Amended by Stats. 1991, Ch. 13, Sec. 17. Effective February 13, 1991.)

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=516.
    If you want to go to the source yourself.

I live in Montana 6 1/2 months of the year now so qualify as a resident there. I have a Montana driver's license, registration, and insurance; own a house there; vote there; and even buy a non resident hunting license to hunt in California for bird hunting.
  13. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I think many of you are missing the point of the OP.

The bike in question is 2-stroke. Even if the OP tried to give California money, California will not register it on the street. It's a no-go. So unless he wants to register it as a "red sticker" bike for closed courses and seasonal trail riding, the only option to keep it on the street is if it is registered somewhere else. Basically, the advice to remain fully legal is to simply sell the bike and buy something legal on California roads, which is probably what I would personally do just to avoid the hassle. I can, however, empathize with the OP's desire to keep the bike plated.
    Colorad0, el Pete and AllSeasonRider like this.
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    There is no inspection sticker in California.
  15. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    If its previously registered to you in the state of title the miles aren't a concern.
    So you COULD register it OOS and then register it in CA.
    OR....if the vehicle has a California Emissions sticker the miles aren't an issue.
    Send me a pic of the emissions sticker.
  16. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    People complain constantly about how strict California is with vehicles.
    Take a look outside....the air is SO much cleaner and getting cleaner.
    30 years ago you could grab a handful of smog all across the metro area.
    Emission controls really work.
    Be kind and ride something clean.
    Nothing wrong with closed course use and shows...but don't be riding a stinker around.....what if everyone wanted to do it? That's why we have regulations...not to stop a single person having a good time....but to stop another onslaught of nasty smog.
    Honda-50 and AllSeasonRider like this.
  17. rickr84

rickr84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As much as I hate most California liberal beliefs, and I live here, I can not stand when I get stuck behind any older muscle car or classic car. The fumes are so bad I will pull over, take a detour, whatever it takes, to get away from that thing. I can't imagine what it was like when they were ALL like that.
  18. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    It was both fantastic and horrible. I should know..I was a California licensed vehicle dealer from 1981-2004. The cars were something special.....the smog was a killer.
  19. T4EaterJonny

T4EaterJonny Not too hip...

Oddometer:
    Today's air is a lot better than it used to be, but I wonder for how long. I can see the mountains from my house. I wasn't able to in the early 90s. LA is a basin so smog and dust get stuck in the air and collects. Some of that filth and gloom is dust being kicked up into the air from all of the cars traveling on the freeway. It isn't 100% car emissions. The population increase isn't doing us any favors. 10 million more people every 20 years. Increased traffic = more idling and gridlock traffic +people stepping on the brakes releases copper and other particles from the brake dust.
    Companies, or even (shudder) the government should reward the HELL out of carpooling. They should get FAT kick backs every time they fill a car with 5+ people. More than they're doing now. Make it irresistible. :rofl
  20. breakdirt916

breakdirt916 CA PLATED 94 YZ250 2-STROKE

Oddometer:
    I ran a natural gas truck from 2012-2018...CA expired my truck out of the carpool lane, so there isn’t much incentive for me to drive a “clean air vehicle”. I have since switched to 13mpg gas guzzler LOL
    Davethestick likes this.