Let's help protect undeveloped Central FL and our interior/rural riding areas

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Ginger Beard, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Our state is currently being ruined by developers, bad legislation and a judiciary that is bought and paid for. At some point we as Floridians have to draw a line in the proverbial sand in terms of protecting not just natural habitats and topography but the really important stuff.... Our riding areas!!!

This seems like a good spot to draw that line. Let's do our part to stop Senate Bill 7068 before it becomes a real problem!

This new proposed highway system
    is a way for developers to fast track urban expansion into areas that are currently slow growth (and should remain that way) or currently undeveloped. Nothing more , nothing less.

The bill

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2019/07068

What it is

http://www.sierraclubfloridanews.org/2019/03/urgent-ask-florida-senators-to-vote-no.html?m=1

Who to contact

http://www.1000friendsofflorida.org...WfXeZwWtVPdcjjn5NZN4TjVMBGZeUX-77Z2QmX8Ztb7NU

This could really impact us as a riding community and as such we truly need to come together here. Please let's not turn this into a political pissing match. This impacts all of us regardless of political affiliation.

Regards,

Dave
  2. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dave
    I haven't had time to read the links you provided, but I was wondering if this is related?
    We spend a lot of time in the Crystal River area. It is beautiful area with lots of back roads to ride. I ride paved, but I know there are lots of off roading areas just east of there.
    SR 589 was expanded to where it meets US98. There are future plans to take it further. If you look at a map it will destroy lots of rural Florida if the expand that road further north.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_State_Road_589

Below is quoted from the wiki article. That last sentence is what worries me on a personal level. It would destroy the rural 10 acres I have that is probably right in it's path.

A planned expansion project of the Suncoast Parkway will feature a 13-mile extension from US 98 to State Road 44 in Citrus County, providing the Parkway's extension into that county.

The project follows a northerly route, paralleling US 19 and CR 491. Three interchanges are proposed: completion of the US 98 interchange, a new interchange at Cardinal Road and a partial interchange at SR 44. The extension will be an all-electronic, cashless toll facility.

The extension will be implemented under two separate projects to be let as design-bid-build contracts in 2016. Estimated project costs are $277 million to be complete in 2018-2019.

The original expansion plans featured an additional 15-mile extension from SR 44 to US 19; however, this portion remains unfunded with no timetable for its beginning.

Thanks for the heads up. I need to active role in helping stop this.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  3. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some really good questions are being asked..

Q: Where would FDOT build these new expressways?

A: The Legislature is considering requiring these expressways be built in the following three corridors:

• “Southwest-Central Florida Connector” extending from Collier County to Polk County; a previous highway planned for the route was called the Heartland Parkway
    • “Suncoast Connector” extending from Citrus County to Jefferson County
    • “Northern Turnpike Connector” extending from the northern terminus of the Florida Turnpike northwest to the Suncoast Parkway
    Q: How would Florida pay for new expressways?

A: SB 7068 would divert more than $100 million per year from the state General Revenue Fund—the same pot of money from which Florida pays for schools—to build these expressways. The bill also authorizes FDOT to borrow billions of dollars more.

Q: Since these new expressways will be tolled, they will pay for themselves, right?

A: No. The bill authorizes FDOT to borrow billions of dollars to develop these expressways even if FDOT determines that these roads will not generate enough income to make the annual payments due on that borrowing for 30 years!

Q: Who supports building these new expressways?

A: The Florida Transportation Builders Association and the Florida Chamber of Commerce publicly support building these roads. These organizations represent businesses that stand to be paid the taxpayer money spent on these roads.

Q: Would new expressways keep us safe from hurricanes?

A: No. Getting on the road in extreme weather is dangerous. Floridia communities lack adequate hurricane shelters and we need more safe spaces in our communities to shelter during storms.

Q: Would new expressways reduce congestion?

A: No. Congestion exists in cities where people live, work, and go to school. Building expressways in rural areas will not help families get their children to school and will not help workers get to jobs.

Q: Would new expressways be economic development for rural communities?

A: No. Building new roads accelerates sprawl but not job creation. No data exist to support the idea that building roads in rural areas leads to economic growth.

From what I have seen with Irma, more roads aren't going to evacuate the masses of people, who will be even more completely stupid and hysterical than normal, now trying to get away.
    It took some neighbors of mine 24 hrs to get from Broward County to Jacksonville, as everybody was stuck in a statewide traffic jam... WTF where they thinking ??:loco
    Anyway this is another attempt to mess up even more of the state as money is more important than anything. How about some hurricane shelters that can serve as community centers???
    They can build 12 lane highways and the masses will still find a way to clog it up. :baldy
    Just my 0.02 cts
  4. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Yes, that project is mentioned and part of this bill will go towards it.
  5. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
    QFT!

IMO, if there is money to be made... it'll happen and... unfortunately, there ain't shit we can do about it. :cry
  6. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

We can at least try.
  7. Dr.Z

Oddometer:
    D00d's been dead for almost 11 years but homey speaks the truth...

8. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

What we do and say matters if we stand together. Complacency and tolerance is why these scumbags get away with destroying the world we live in. At the very least we can speak up and try to stop this lunacy. We're going to lose every bit of enjoyable riding turf if we don't. Even worse is that any bit of solitide provided by nature will be lost.

Anyway, do you. I won't be able to stand myself if I don't try to do something.

@Dr.Z That wasn't a dig on you, just speaking for myself.
    Spiegel, rider1150gsadv and ZachM1 like this.
  9. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    We need an expressway to new york. So all those yankee carbetbaggers can go the F home.
    Traxx and rider1150gsadv like this.
  10. Dr.Z

Oddometer:
    No offense taken, bud.

I find myself being more cynical as I get older. :lol3

Now... GET OFF MY LAWN. :becca
    Ginger Beard and rider1150gsadv like this.
  11. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    A long time ago I decided to despise everyone equally...:lol3
    YJake, Buzztail, iMakeTheMaps and 2 others like this.
  12. Philip Kuntz

Philip Kuntz Fleasy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    rider1150gsadv and Ginger Beard like this.
  13. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    I'm with Eloy, there isn't much we can do but it looks like Marion Co. horse farmers (big $$) got them to forego at least the northern part they're calling Suncoast Pkwy 2 (for now). The problem is (and it is one) that I-75 and 95 are already near capacity, if you don't believe it go drive on one em for an hour. They're both 6 lanes in rural areas and more where it's congested, they need to start adding more lanes and soon, which it looks like they may be planning from the article. Heck 301, 441, and US27 are a log jam most of the time too, they've had to build a bypass around Starke because 301 thru there had gotten stupid, 18 wheelers were getting backed up for miles because of 5 traffic lights.

"The Florida Department of Transportation announced Friday that it has decided to kill off a controversial toll road called the Coastal Connector that had Marion County horse farmers and others in that region in an uproar.

"At this time, the department has determined that the best approach to addressing traffic issues in the area is to abandon the new corridor concepts that were preliminarily discussed in the planning studies," DOT secretary Mike Dew wrote in a letter to Marion County Commission Chairwoman Kathy Bryant.

The highway was proposed to link Interstate 75 to the Suncoast 2, or the planned extension of the Suncoast Parkway. Instead, Dew said his agency will "step back and focus on improvements to I-75."

I'm for saving Old Florida interior as much as anyone but am afraid it's an uphill battle. Of the heavily populated states we're still the fastest growing and the people that run it think that's a good thing.. until that philosophy changes the proverbial steamroller will keep rolling.
  14. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

They need to shift their focus to policies that lower the amount of large vehicles on the road. Big incentives for carpooling, build inter city greenways for walking/cycling, lower vehicle registration costs on smalmer vehicles, invest in park n ride infrastructure, limit the number of vehicles entering metro areas while investing in parking structures and public transit inside of these areas, allow filtering and lane splitting for two wheeled traffic . Combine this with setting aside affordable housing for labor workers (wait staff, janitors, parking attendants, etc) so that they can live within the cities that they work while increasing the presence of proactive traffic law enforcement officials ( slow vehicles stay right, ticketing agressive drivers, cell phone users that cause acvidents, etc) and redesigning offramps to a more efficient yield/merge style vs ted lights, etc etc. We won't need more or even bigger roads if we implement better solutions.

The issues aren't caused by a lack of space but more from poor design and improper usage of current infrastructure.

I know it keeps being said that you can't stop progress but we sure as shit can steer it in the right direction rather than sitting back and letting it run rough shod over us. I refuse to believe that we are no longer capable of standing up to government or the corporations and individuals that own it. There are far more of us than there are of them but it requires unity to make that known.
    Downeyman, Hatch and danh600 like this.
  15. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

I'm sure you and I could trade stories about our personal cynicism. I'm not known as "the guy who loves his fellow man" by any stretch of the imagination. :lol3
    Dr.Z likes this.
  16. Paul in N FL

Paul in N FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I10 and I95 high speed rails. The land is there, add to it.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  17. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Pretty much sums up what I have been thinking too..
    Sad that the US is so far behind the ROW in regards to infrastructure. Look at China with thousands of miles of high speed rail... We have almost none to speak of...
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  18. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

We are a society that is ruled by those more concerned with financial gain than with doing what is right for the world around them. At some point we are going to have to stand together in opposition if we are to preserve any part of what is left of the natural world.
    YJake and rider1150gsadv like this.
  19. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    So true...
    YJake and Ginger Beard like this.
  20. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    I want to add that I love this state. I'm sickened to see the rampant carelessness with which it is treated and beyond angered when I have to witness the destruction of it's sensitive and dwindling natural ecosystems. I am a 6th generation Floridian and with my daughter (and now her daughter) my family is now going on 7 generations in this uniquely beautiful place. With that in mind, please forgive me if my passion towards preservation comes across as zealous at times. Some people find peace with the world through religion, others with drugs but me? I find that peace through communion with nature and my "church" is being threatened.

I won't lie down on this one and just take it. I'm also involved in stopping the oil drilling in FL. I'm going to do everything in my power to try and end this insanity. Our ancestors, our friends, our families, our children and our children's children derserve better than the shit covered baton of so called progress that we are trying to hand off to them.
    YJake, rider1150gsadv and motomike14 like this.