Let's help protect undeveloped Central FL and our interior/rural riding areas

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Ginger Beard, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Sandspit

Sandspit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We had the famous "Compound" riding area in Palm Bay a decade or so ago as open riding / camping/ ATVs , trucks, bonfires...It was so fun and perfect folks from Miami would come up for the weekend. It got shut down when a girl was killed on a ATV. The issue is liability , in the sue happy environment, everyone is scared to have something bad happen on their land , including the town, cities and rural communities. A few months ago they shut down the only other area in Melbourne that was public land used for offroad, fishing, ATV dirt bikes, bonfires, etc. I can still get in but it is empty and gets lonely after a while. Authorities said city liability shut it down...SO, you can't fix stupid (stupid action gets areas shut down) I'll sign, call, send approved emails (they need to be a canned/form type to cut and paste for ease and for getting to the point)...IN the end I feel it is a losing battle but I always seem to "go down with the ship" and have remained loyal to many causes that were doomed . I'll read back over the OP and this thread (skimmed it) but a form letter to the state we can copy paste and send may get some attention. Remember we are very small fishes compared to the Sharks who are out to develop and make as much $$$ without regard to green spaces. Many learned this a long time ago and on a large tract of land near Holopaw , owners made it a private riding area that you can pay a large amount of $$ to buy into...sucks but it seems to be they way of the future, having to pay fees to ride as a member with a key access..not really a good solution but it is what I see the future will be. BTW there is a private motocross track in Melbourne locked/Private and used only by a few select riders who either know the owner or pay large $$$? ... not sure but it looks real fun..the future may include large member fees to ride good dirt that is not a 100% public road
    motoX.png
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  2. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can almost bet money that those closed areas will be developed into another 'cozy' strip mall with 'designer' shops and/or neighborhood with cookie cutter houses and a nazi HOA....:csm:puke2
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  3. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    @Sandspit

I like the idea of a form letter. It would help to show that we are unified in this fight. I'll work on a draft over the next couple of days and post it.
  4. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I admire your passion GB. While I was not born in FL my mom's family has been here since the 1890's. I grew up in Miami in the 80's-90's.

FL has 20 million residents. In 10 years likely 25 million. People are fleeing shithole countries and shithole states to come here. That will not stop. More people require more infrastructure. I don't know how to fight that. We can't even protect constitutional rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights. How do we save "Old Florida"?

I'm blessed enough to live 5 miles from ONF, so I still have easy access to good riding. However, it is getting expensive to live here and the work commute gets worse every year. I'm still 20 years from retirement but I will not be retiring in FL. I'll be taking my money somewhere cheaper with less population.
    beaterktm and Ginger Beard like this.
  5. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Appreciated.

I'm not sure how to halt a mass ingress of residents but I can help encourage better stewardship of the reasons why so many people come to this state in the first place. We as a group can also push for better solutions to the inevitable population growth than this pervasive mentality of "tear it down and spread out" which has been long promoted by developers and realestate companies.

Better metropolitan infrastructure , mass transit and architectural designs that would allow upward expansion, minimum number of floors rules for new contruction within cities and a maximum sq-ft/acreage footprint within a predetermined radius of developed areas, etc will all alow the population to rise without the need for massive outward expansion.

One thing we have on our side is economic viability of FL's interior. Most people don't want to do a 2 hour commute even on empty roads and other than labor jobs, there isn't much going on in most of FL. The big money jobs are all in the large metropolitan areas. Adaptation of those areas to sustainably deal with a larger work force makes way more sense than developing rural areas ( which would force lower income families that live there to suddenly shoulder the burden of huge tax increases and other cost of living increases).

Ultimately this needs to be addressed piece by piece at the systemic level. There's no magic bullet. One thing is for sure, the results of "can't" or "didn't try" is a 100%failure rate.
    YJake likes this.
  6. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    So I dropped the ball on updating this thread on Monday evening but I wanted to relay a message from one of the organizations spearheading this conservation campaign. I was asked not to write a form letter as it has been the experience of the organization that personal stories and calls for preservation have more of an impact upon swaying the opinions of politicians and other members of the public.

Well, there it is. Please use the contact information provided in the op to call and write your senators and please, if you have the time also contact your district reps if you live in one of the areas that will be directly impacted by this project.

Thank you,

Dave
  7. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Is there a proposed route for the swf highway? Didnt see anything specific in the reading.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  8. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

I'll find the maps and post up. The last proposed path they listed was west of the ridge.
  9. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Heartland_Parkway_corridor_study_area.png
  10. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Thanks, saw that previously and thought... how could anyone consider this a serious proposal based on the +100 mile swath. Dang fishing expedition that the masses on the coast could care less about.

Looks like a big turd right in the middle of the state!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  11. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    :nah more like a dildo.....:-)
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  12. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Well dang, the district I am in isn't represented on the appropriations commitee! No population = no representation for the rural parts of the state.

So I called the the senator from the adjacent district(22). Couldn't get a straight answer on her current position on SB 7068. Will see how the votes goes today.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  13. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:

Good luck on getting a straight answer from any politician. Even a simple yes or no question is too complicated for them to answer...
    Meanwhile the dumbass voters keep the same peeps in office...
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  14. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    It passed the appropriations committee with a 20-0 vote. Let that sink in. Not one vote in opposition!! As I said at the beginning, this is not a partisan issue. Both sides of the aisle are equally owned by big business and both teams will choose $$ over the people's will all day long. I have little faith that this will be shot down by the Senate considering the voters chose to put Robber Ricky back at the helm and his track record speaks for itself.

Regardless, get out those calls and emails! Be sure to include DeSantis on your list as he can veto this if it makes it to his desk for signing. He billed himself as pro-environmental protection so let's hold him to his words!
  15. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Dissapointing, but not unexpected.
    rider1150gsadv and Ginger Beard like this.
  16. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Yeaj, not surprised but man if this isn't a kick in the gut.
  17. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Plan your exodus now. There will be a fight but u can't beat big $.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  18. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

I here NM is nice...
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  19. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    That shows you that anything, everything and anyone is for sale to the highest bidder regardless of outcome or consequences...
    Welcome to the 'wonderful' world of politics, where money talks and BS walks.:bluduh
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  20. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
    Bitch, I told you! :imaposer

We have the best politicians... that money can buy