Let's help protect undeveloped Central FL and our interior/rural riding areas

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Ginger Beard, Mar 28, 2019.

1. beaterktm

beaterktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do tell!!!!
  2. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
    Sorry...

[​IMG]
  3. GearHeadGrrrl

GearHeadGrrrl Long timer

Oddometer:
    You riders have renewed my faith that there are still some sane people in Floriduh!

For 10 years I wintered at the trailer near Naples we inherited from mom and dad, other than motorcycling it was like living in another generic suburb and just as exciting. Made some great friends down there with the local airheads and some of my best days were spent tinkering in their shops. Got some good riding in the 'glades and explored a abandoned Golden Gate Eastates a bit. But otherwise, about all Florida had going for it was weather for about 3 months a year. So when my landlady wanted to break my lot lease and made an offer to buy me out, I was happy to pack up and move outa Florida for good. Best of luck fighting the good fight to save what's left of Florida's beauty, and if you win I hope to return some day.
    Ginger Beard and Philip Kuntz like this.
  4. Sandspit

Sandspit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stay Alert Folks.....(there are) Gypsies in the Palace

From Tampa Bay Times:
    "Florida's new Senate president announced Wednesday that one of his top priorities this year is pushing legislation to extend the lightly traveled Suncoast Parkway to the Georgia state line.

Rather than contending the extension would resolve a traffic problem or improve hurricane evacuation times, Sen. Bill Galvano's argument for extending the toll road beyond its current Citrus County terminus is strictly economic.

“I believe it’s a good idea,” said Galvano, R-Bradenton, during a Wednesday news conference. “We need access to our rural communities. We need to improve access so prosperity can return there.”

But leaders in several of the counties that lie in the extended Suncoast’s path have made it clear they want no toll roads slicing through their rural areas and destroying farms that have been in the same families for generations. And the existing Suncoast has been a consistent money-loser, repeatedly falling short of revenue projections.

In addition to the Suncoast extension, Galvano also said he wants to build a highway connecting Polk County in Central Florida to Collier County in southwest Florida — reviving the politically unpopular Heartland Parkway — and to extend the Florida Turnpike northwest from Interstate 75 in Wildwood to the Suncoast Parkway, another potentially controversial move."
    Ginger Beard and motomike14 like this.
  5. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    If only bribery, aka lobbying was illegal! Then none of this asshattery would be going on... I hope the locals fight this tooth and nail and that the governor has the balls to veto that crap.
    sanjoh, Ginger Beard and Sandspit like this.
  6. brewmann

brewmann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah this is bullshit this monstrosity will plow right through prime riding and hunting areas....then comes the urban sprawl......
    Ginger Beard and rider1150gsadv like this.
  7. GearHeadGrrrl

GearHeadGrrrl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Future Floriduh: Like every other boring suburb anywhere, except it's hot and they get hurricanes!
  8. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    This is ultimately behind the push for this infrastructure, developers. They've developed most of the coast and now they want to monetize what's left.
    sanjoh and rider1150gsadv like this.