let's see a picture of your camping setup and how it all fits on your bike... please

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by ClearwaterBMW, Jun 8, 2007.

1. PackRat

PackRat Huey Guns Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This is the setup I've used for 7 weeks around the US. I can open all Jesses with the gear strapped to them. The red bag is cold weather gear that is seasonal. Back pack has clothes, tent on one side, air mattress on other above Jesses. Some times I add a chair if I am staying in one spot several days -such as West Fest07. All stuff sacks have plastic bags inside. :wink: I keep the top case empty to allow storage for Stitch and boots if hiking. Also have a stuff sack for dirty clothes. I try to do laundry every 6-7 days or sooner if we got wet. Sleeping bag is on top of top case - light stuff up high, heavy (tools & parts) stuff down low. I carry too many tools and (survival gear), but I help other riders often. I am also building a silkalon "tarp" with 1/2 inch webbing on the perimeter and across the middle for a shelter for heavy wind or rain that will cover two tents and bikes side by side. (Hope I never need it).

Some times I get a cheap ice chest and strap it where the sleeping bag is, at the last store before I leave the road so I have fresh food and drinks for a couple of days. Also have two "field stripped" vacuum sealed MREs for emergencies and 4 bottles of water in socks in bottom of backpack. (hope I don't use them either!)

See why I got the name "Packrat" ?:lol3

overlander likes this.
  2. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    What roll bag is that on top of your Pelican? case and which pelican is that?
  3. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Top box stays empty till I stop at a supermarket for that night's supply of steaks and other essentials. Tent, inflatable mattress, sleeping bag, mess kit, stove go in the Ortlieb drybag duffle bag on the seat. One drybag saddlebag holds first aid kit, puncture repair kit, rain suit. The other holds clothing. Tank bag holds ipod, cellphone/charger, sunglasses, etc.
  4. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recognize the bag (perhaps because I have 2 or 3 of them). It's from Helen 2 Wheels. http://www.helen2wheels.com/ It's good stuff.

// marc
  5. Indian-woodsman

Indian-woodsman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just looks like too much gear to enjoy the ride. haven't figured how to post pics but i pack by the axiam "travel light, freeze at night".
    glittleman likes this.
  6. Deadly

Deadly Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer:
    Well, heres mine. Its a little un-conventional but its water proof, lockable, and gets the job done. My tent is behind the bike and thats me unhooking the rig. Tbirdsp took this photo of my setup at SLAP.
    (A rider from Omaha, NE came over to check out my Hillbilly Setup)

Attached Files:

7. M1tch

M1tch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    they are Givi Voyager throwovers. Not waterproof even with the covers which are on in the photo, as they dont cover the side of the bags towards the wheel. i use Exped dry bags, lightweight nylon bags which can be stuffed full of clothes/books/anything that needs to be kept dry.

Have a look here go to products,then packsacks.
  8. German

German Ich liebe Bayrischen Mist

Oddometer:
    Thanks M1tch! - I will definitely going to invest in those.

German

9. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
  10. RoyB

RoyB Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer:
    I can't believe all the crap folks take on a trip...........

Me, I like to pack light...only the necessities,,,,,,,,,,,,,

[​IMG]
  11. RoyB

RoyB Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer:
    Seriously.........

This is my bike set up for a five week Alaska trip........The system I use works fantastic.....

Left Painer:
    Tent, First Aid Kit, Rain Gear, Heated Vest, Maps, Extra gloves

Right Painer:
    Multi Fuel Lantern, Cook Stove, Coffee Pot, Eating supplies, LapTop Computer..(this painer has 117V outlet with inverter to keep LapTop charged)...Extra space for food bought before campsite

Pelican Case on Rear:
    Nikon D70 with three lens, Video Camera, Spotting Scope, Battery Charger, Small TriPod (This Box is electrified with 12V to keep various devices and a bunch of AA batteries charged)

Pelican Case under license plate:
    Chain Lube, Rags, Windshield cleaner

Yellow Ortlib Bag:
    Clothing, Sleeping Bag, Pillow, Towel, Wash Kit

Blue SeaSafe Bag:
    Therma Rest, Chair, Large TriPod

Fake Left Muffler:
    Compressor, tire repair kit, tire irons, tools, rags, bailing wire, wire ties, Steel Epoxy Putty, Super Glue

This set up has worked wonderful on many muli week trips. I can break down camp and be underway in 15 minutes or less. Once at camp, the tent comes out of the side painer without disrupting anything else, Once the tent is up, the Yellow Ortlib Bag is placed in the vestibule where sleeping Bag, Pillow, and clothing is removed out of the rain. On many trip I don't bother putting the tent back into its stuff sack in the morning, I simply stuff it into the Painer, ready for the next evening.......Saves lots of time.
    The entire system is 100% dust and water proof. On the Alaska trip (5 weeks), lots of folks were having problems with dust getting into everything, especially their sleeping gear. The Ortlib bags are absolutly fantastic. Couples with the superior GIVI N41 painers, I nevr had a bit of dust inside anything.This Ortlib bag has been through hell and back for nearly 10 years and is still 100% sound. The Blue SeaSafe bag didn't last the Alaska Trip. It had a few holes in it where the contents had rubbed through. Duct Tape fixed it for the ride, but it has been replaced by another Ortlib.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    glittleman and Retired Army 2008 like this.
  12. sm2727

sm2727 Earf ling

Oddometer:
    hey Scott R Its last years Capo Guy that spoke with you on the side of the road The Ktoom looks good! Are you going to west fest ?
  13. LongWays

LongWays Skiing up a hill...

Oddometer:
    City of Subdued Excitement.... no really it is!
    Some shots from last years 5 weeker around North America

Loaded

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Un-Loaded

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    That'a Helen2Wheels bag on top and in front, the Pelican is a 1510, the ATA approved carry on size box, with a lid organizer.
    I removed the wheel's and extending handle off it.
    The H2W's bag's are great, and when I had a problem with one of mine last year ( there was a small batch with defective fabric), Helen sent me out a new one right away, great customer service.
    The reflictive strip is great because you can actually get your straps through it, making it even more secure, and not allowing the bag to wiggle out from underneath your straps.
    Those are mini Rok Straps that hold on the bag in back, in that pic there's 2 ThermaRest prolite 4 pads, and 2 Big Agnes down sleeping bags in the bag.

http://www.helen2wheels.com/
  15. 72guy

72guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. Deadly

Deadly Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer:

:poser
  17. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Now that's a lightweight setup!
    Just the kind of laugh I needed this morning, thanks!
  18. SalvoGirl

SalvoGirl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After viewing 8 pages of tents and air mattresses it looks like I'm the only camper who likes a fire...

Attached Files:

19. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:

I like fire. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. 72guy

72guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can't take credit for the pic. But I did think it was appropriate.:lol3
    My wife and I have done our fair share of camping: