let's see a picture of your camping setup and how it all fits on your bike... please

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by ClearwaterBMW, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I'm thinking your off a little with that statement. Just about everything that you would need to add to the 500 would also need done on the 690. And I just put a 4.5 gallon tank on my 501 and it weighs less that the stock without fuel. And believe it or not I'm getting right around 60mpg on the stock turned 501 which in my opinion just about right for dual sport riding.
    2 SPOT and radmann10 like this.
  2. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I get old and sell my 990, I think I'd do a 450 Six Days.
    S.Auerteig likes this.
  3. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wish I still had mine . . . it's so old school cool.
  4. BCSnowman

BCSnowman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Every time I take it out I get looks. And usually an offer or two to buy it haha.

I did a 250 mile off road day trip with it on my birthday a couple years back. So much fun.

I want to find one of the 400’s, one popped up in Seattle a few years back but I was saving for my wedding so I couldn’t pull the trigger.
    Zubb and Snake Oiler like this.
  5. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a TS250 and my sister had a TS185.

I was dropped off by my dad to bring her bike home from her work one day when she got sick and had a car ride home.

The 185 was light, very flickable and the front wheel liked to stay up.

Dad was quite angry when I returned three hours later!

I enjoyed my time with the TS's but that was when my riding was mostly single track.

Loading one up with all my camping, cooking anf clothing crap doesn't seem like a good idea.

I did encounter a middle aged rider on a Yamaha DT175 while riding the TAT through NM.

He was carrying very little.
  6. BCSnowman

BCSnowman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea I wouldn’t lug around too much on them, I try and limit it to day trips.

The 185 is the one to get apparently. I’ve been told they put out almost as much power as the 250 but are lighter so they actually end up being quicker on the trails a lot of the time.

Unfortunately anything worth riding near me is a couple hours away on the highway. I got mine from my dad so I didn’t get a say in it. Not that I’m complaining! =P
  7. TheBritAbroad

TheBritAbroad Just ride.

Oddometer:
  8. TheBritAbroad

TheBritAbroad Just ride.

Oddometer:
  9. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    considering your first bike had stone wheels, your doing great!:lol3
  10. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I waited to try motorcycles until those new fangled pneumatic tires. :imaposer
    08StangGT_CS and 2 SPOT like this.
  11. Wesley J

Wesley J Hoser

Oddometer:
    My old setup, this was 2 weeks on the CDR

[​IMG]

I built a completely new panier system. Much better

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Amphib, JSL, CB23 and 18 others like this.
  12. Coastalcop

Coastalcop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats pretty sharp !!!! Nicely done!
    Wesley J and Bill 310 like this.
  13. Wichser

Wichser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks pretty cool and all, but you may have to rework that entire design, I just don't see how you're going to secure your beer there. :dunno

:beer
  14. Smallfry506

Smallfry506 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone regret buying a 2 person tent instead of a 3 person? Or vice versus. I sleep on a 30 inch wide pad. I have a redverz atacama for rallys and 2 up camping. But I’m sick of breaking it down all of the time.

Im looking at the Nemo dagger 2 p and 3 p. I want to be able to fit my tank bag, helmet and pants inside while anything else in a vestibule. Leaning towards the 2 p for ease of finding a site, but I don’t want to not be able to fit inside it either.

Appreciate any advice.
  15. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    2 person is fine for 1 person and gear. I have no problem leaving riding gear in the tent. 2 people and gear is a 3 person tent requirement.
  16. surferbum

surferbum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
    Shoutout to Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL1 with packed size of only 4" x 16.5" (Including poles)!! It's a 3-season with a packed weight 2lbs 8oz. Its poles fits easily lengthwise in my soft-side luggage.

It’s a 1 person with vestibule and fits me 6’3” with my Exped SynMat 9 Pump DLX inflatable air mattress (76" long by 26" wide)

Their current 2 & 3 person versions pack sizes are 4" x 19.5" and 4.5" x 20" respectively (@ 3lb 1oz /3lb 14oz).
    Smallfry506 likes this.
  17. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. a2ronm

a2ronm Ti-6Al-4V

Oddometer:
    Single rider: I went from a 2 person Mountain Hardware, single door backpacking tent to a 3 person Marmot Tungsten 2 door tent.

2 doors makes site selection much easier and double vestibule means you don't trip over your gear going in & out of the tent.

I have not found any impact to site selection from the 3P tent over a 2P.

I use a cot so the extra tent room is nice for laying out my riding gear for airing, drying, dressing or such.

Only drawback is increased weight and packing size, but as a solo rider on bigger bikes, I haven't found that to be a problem for me.
    globalt38, Andrew, sdpc2 and 3 others like this.
  19. guideboat1

guideboat1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have both 2P and 3P tents. I use the Jack Wolfskin Yellowstone II or III, just retired a Cabela's 2P after many years of use. I like these are heavy duty tents, really roomy, lots of ventilation, can zip up coverings over all the mesh from the inside when the temp drops or very windy, the fly on each is bullet proof and can vent or be really tight in heavy wind and rains; huge vestibules. They are heavier (9 lbs for the 3P) than some light backpacking tents but the weight is slight in comparison to the room, a small price to pay on a big bike. Easy to erect, easy to take down. 4 ft. ceiling height on both tents. I use the 2P on long rides where I will not be staying for a few days each night, the 3P is when I am staying for a few days in one place before moving on. They are not the mainstream brand names, but well known in Europe, made in Germany; available from several retailers in the US. The price is lower than the normal name brand tents and in my opinion a much better build and value.
    Smallfry506 likes this.
  20. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm totally digging my Hubba Hubba, plenty roomy inside and a lot of vestibule space on both sides. Having 2 side doors has turned out to be a bonus too. I hated how little vestibule space I had on my old one.
    Mr Head likes this.