let's see a picture of your camping setup and how it all fits on your bike... please

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by ClearwaterBMW, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Andy_L

Andy_L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like quite a compact 4 person tent, what make is it?
  2. jasiu

jasiu Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. Kawasakirob

Kawasakirob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    On a 3 day tour. 18 high mountain passes hit.

20190804_160415.jpg

20190804_072223.jpg
  4. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that a Nemo Dragonfly tent? How do you like it? I just picked one up. I'm moving over to pretty much all ultralight gear now -- the durability is excellent now, and the space/weight savings adds up -- especially the space. Bonus is I can use it moto camping or backpacking.
    Kawasakirob likes this.
  5. Kawasakirob

Oddometer:
    Its actually an EMS Velocity 2 tent. Definitely a top of the line ultralight coming in at a touch over 3lb's packed. I chose the EMS over the MSR hubba hubba and others due to a slightly larger floor plan and lots more pockets.I love having pockets. It's an awesome tent, and well worth the look if anyone is in the market. It's also used double time for backpacking too.
    markinthailand likes this.
  6. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love my Hubba Hubba
    Hivernaut and Kawasakirob like this.
  7. Kawasakirob

Oddometer:
    That's great, I'm not slamming it. I'm just stating why I purchased the EMS over other tents in the same category and happened to mention the MSR. That's all. And with that, they are pretty similar tech wise except once again the Velocity has more pockets and slightly larger vestibules. Both are 29sq feet, the Velocity uses DAC Featherlight poles, the NX Easton poles. The Velocity uses higher denier fabric than the NX but the NX has twice the amount of waterproofing on the bottom than the Velocity. Same waterproofing on the rainfly for each.... does it even matter, will both tents keep you dry during a hellacious thunderstorm? You bet! Is the Nemo just as good? Absolutely! I just prefer pockets to put all my random crap in so I dont rollover on my toothpaste and sunglasses in the middle of the night or loose track of the tp and headlamp when I need to take a crap at 3am :lol3
    Bhart89, Maggot12, Mr Head and 2 others like this.
  8. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital

Remind me never to go camping with you.
  9. baveras

baveras Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lightweight tents are always nice, but I really dislike the ones where it has to be pitched before you put on the rainfly. This as the weather in Scandinavia is a bit unpredictable, and it´s definetley prefferable to have a tent that can be pitched "all at once".

Is that possible with the Nemo and/or the EMS tent?

My current choice of tent when I want lots of space is a Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT. And when I want to optimize packing volume I use a Fjällräven Abisko Lite 1

The Hilleberg is a breeze to pitch and only needs 4 ground pegs when there is no wind.
    And the Fjällräven is an absolute opposite. It needs 10! groundpegs to stand upright so it's not a tent you pitch in less then 10 minutes. And with the amount of masquitos we get in Scandinavia during summertime you dont want to spend to mutch time fiddling with your gear....

But the size of the Fjällräven packed is fantastic, I keep it in a 5 Liter (aprox 1,32 US gallon) drybag complete with poles and pegs so for that reason it's fantastic but Im looking for something that's easy and fast to pitch and packs just as small.

So any suggestions on other tents?
  10. ADVRKD

ADVRKD Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    Using the footprint that I purchased for my Marmot tent I can set up the fly with or without the tent. Setting up the fly first helps to keep the tent dry while setting up (and taking down) in the rain. Setting up just the fly provides lots of open space when you don't need the tent to keep bugs away.

This is a three person tent.

[​IMG]
    Bad Dad and baveras like this.
  11. Kawasakirob

Oddometer:
    Supposedly the Velocity can be pitched rainfly first but I've never tried it. Instead, I'll use an ultralight tarp to block the rain and set the tent directly underneath it. The tarp I'm using now is a UGQ, and packs down to the size of an orange compressed. When it's set up, it gives me space to set my gear and relax while staying dry putting up the tent.

And on a separate note, those are some nice tents that you own! :beer I've been thinking about a Hilleberg for four season use off a snowmobile.
  12. baveras

baveras Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, using the Hilleberg alone feels very posh. And with the footprint covering the vestibule I can keep all of my wet gear outside the tent protected from whatever kind of weather. Wet Klim gear, motoboots and the rest of my drybags.

But packing volume! The hilleberg comes down to aprox 50x20cm and the Fjällräven to a fantastic 34x14cm. So despite that the design of the support (poles, number of pegs and stuff) seems to be done by the summer intern, the compact pack size is a huge plus for me.

But there must be some other 1-person tent (not bivvybag or simular) that packs in the same size (or less) that is easier to pitch???

But using a tarp to keep the tent and gear dry while pitching the tent is a very good idea, and I usually bring a tarp to extend the area with raincover when I want to sit outside the tent. And this works fine when you have time to spend on setting up camp. Especially when there isn't so mutch mosquitos around, we however have truckloads of those little buggers, and top it of with a healthy stock of midges.So as far as I'm concerned it's a good way to sub optimize the pitching of the tent.

The main reason for me persisting the pack volume is that now I can get tent, sleeingbag, sleeping pad, pillow and rest of the stuff for sleeping in the same drybag on my Reckless 80.
    Kawasakirob likes this.
  13. Helfel

Helfel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you considered the Zpacks duplex with the Flex kit?
    https://zpacks.com/products/duplex-freestanding-flex-kit

I am currently in the same situation.
    I have a Wechsel Forum 42 ZeroG an older Variant of this one:
    https://www.wechsel-tents.de/zelte/unlimited-forum-4-2-231077/.
    Nice tent but i need a tank bag or a tail bag so i can fit my gear in my AS Magadan panniers.

The Zpacks is about 8.5 L volume, so a bit bigger than your Fjällräven but about twice the inner space.

I am strongly looking into this one.

Regards Michael
  14. Kawasakirob

Oddometer:
    This is going to sound odd, but the EMS Velocity 1 is a good option for a single person tent. It packs up pretty small but unfortunately cannot be pitched fly first. I had one for 2yrs and used it solely for backpacking. I eventually sold it because for not much extra weight and pack size I could use the Velocity 2 for backpacking and have a spare vestibule to pee out of in the middle of the night.

I believe the Giant Loop Coyote is pushing 40L, and it can fit the two person tent, sleeping bag, Exped Synmat 9 LW pad, hammock and tarp, thermals, extra socks/undies, fleece pants, slippers and a down puffy in there just fine.

Then all my tools, tubes, water, 32oz Gatorade bottle full of oil, top rain layer, tp and spare gloves are in my backpack.

I personally rarely camp where there are no trees, so if its raining, pitching the tarp first to set the tent underneath works just fine. Its crazy how tiny the tarp packs too. And if it continues to rain there is a place to sit totally dry and have a cigar/drink/whatever.
    Mr Head likes this.
  15. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just came off of 3 days backpacking with the Nemo. Yes, you can do rainfly first as long as you have the footprint. Easy to day, and I'd bet just about any freestanding tent with a footprint you could do the same way.
    Kawasakirob and Mr Head like this.
  16. baveras

baveras Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trees are nice, however quite scarce in northern scandinavia... This also kind of settles the hamock vs tent question.... IMG-1841.JPG

Well the goal is still to have at tent where inner tent and rainfly are connected so you can pitch everything in "one go"
    Kawasakirob likes this.
  17. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Way back in the day I used just my rainfly as a bivy sack for my sleeping bag when we got to camp after midnight in the rain.
    I woke in the morning dry and rested.
    Kawasakirob and markinthailand like this.
  18. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    from my recent 18 day trip to NM and CO, 2 up, camping and cooking along the way 0814190838_HDR.jpg

Attached Files:

19. surferbum

surferbum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
    Recent COBDR North-to-South trip.
    IMG_4973.JPG IMG_5025.JPG
  20. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer: