let's see a picture of your camping setup and how it all fits on your bike... please

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ClearwaterBMW, Jun 8, 2007.

1. surferbum

surferbum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
    These are solid bullet-proof bags. Have used them on 15K miles of trips without any issues.
    Dread likes this.
  2. Convoluto

Convoluto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like your setup. In my opinion you have your i's well dotted. I would dispense with the cooking kit and just go with cold food.
  3. BoilerRealm

BoilerRealm Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Gotta have my hot coffee in the morning!
  4. Convoluto

Convoluto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Luxury! I am much more frugal, old tea at ambient temperature is fine for me.
  5. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Totally there with ya! And, on a rough day or a cool/cold day, nothing beats a hot meal at the end of the day. Small luxuries, but as I get older I appreciate them much more. Back in the Navy I could operate for days on bologna sandwiches. Not so anymore!
    globalt38 and surferbum like this.
  6. vanislejay

vanislejay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So pack enough bottles of cold tea for 7 days instead of a cooking kit? Or maybe you keep it in a bag to save the weight!
  7. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    And hot tea -- with brandy -- at night. I camp for pleasure. Hot meals, coffee, and tea are part of the pleasures. To each their own. If cold food and drink are what you like (or are willing to accept) go for it.
    IslandMonkey, MaverickNC and Dread like this.
  8. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OMG!!!! I never thought of putting my evening bourbon in hot tea!!!!! Always over ice or with water, but never hot tea!!!! WTF have I been doing all of these years, brilliant comfort drink!!!!
    Davidprej, Kawasakirob and MaverickNC like this.
  9. Convoluto

Convoluto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I pack a 1 liter bottle with tea (sugarless black tea). Enough for 5 cups of tea, so 5 days. Then I try to also have 2 liters of water with me, but that I refill everyday. If I need a hot meal, I go to some bistro in whatever village I pass by (the usual "menu" of two dishes, bread, wine, and dessert --a very common thing around here which can be had for around 10 euros in non-touristic places).
    IslandMonkey and Mr Head like this.
  10. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I carry a cooker, kettle, cup, plastic bowl and a spork. I make instant coffee using Starbucks Via packets. They pack small and aren't too horrible.
    Sometimes I carry tea bags, but not often. Usually carry some packets of "instant" steel cut oatmeal for breakfast and a sandwich bag of dried fruit, usually raisins. That does my breakfast with an easy clean up.

I usually get a light lunch along my way, then around 3PM find something to take away for evening. Sandwiches or wrap or burrito. Fresh fruit.
    I have carried a flask of old Scotch for evening. I sometimes do, sometimes don't.

Two different month long rides, one for work where I rode to work then back and forth and around for a month then home and one last year I carried the same bloody packet freeze dried meal.
    I've still not gotten hungry enough to eat that thing. :lol3

And a few evenings I've made a meal of tea and a Cliff bar. :imaposer
    I was very happy to have that flask on those evenings too. :jack

When I traveled on business and was flying and staying in hotels, I'd be sure to have my supply of instant oatmeal and cliff bars, just in case. More than once I was caught out and all there was to eat, was what I had. Late planes and snow storms have a way of making normally available things, not.

For the KTM Rally this year, I'm more likely to just ride to Breck from here, stopping only for fuel, pee and water. We'll see how I feel when the time comes.
  11. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    My little pack of caffeine pills are smaller, lighter, quicker and easier than any liquid caffeine ingestion system.

That said, I do occasionally take time to make hot tea, which I do enjoy - but it takes time away from riding.

Most of my meals in the back country are beef jerky, dried fruit, and Fritos corn chips.
  12. BoilerRealm

BoilerRealm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wanted to show a couple pics of my cook set. Or water boiler since I don’t actually cook. Coffee and mountain house. I prefer to eat out though. I love stopping at local mom and pop type places.

Titanium mug compared to 12oz soda can. Everything fits inside.

A8F793F0-5494-4770-8E8C-1F6314A5F8B4.jpeg

Here are the contents. I can get 2-3 8oz boils per cube. A dozen Starbucks Via will fit inside too, but I’m all out. Bic mini to light the cubes. Sometimes I’ll put a drop or two of hand sanitizer on the cube to help it light. The windscreen and base plate are just sheet metal I cut to fit. Sea to Summit cup just fits inside. It works pretty good. Much better than drinking out of the mug. Small weight penalty, but no extra volume.

020C3B29-8EA2-4AB3-BBFF-3A4E7BD0A08E.jpeg

Here it is set up. I have a Jetboil Sol, and a MSR Titan kettle and pocket rocket too. But this esbit setup is my go to 90% of the time.

3FA9269A-25D0-4CF2-A0BB-68E8E15229EB.jpeg
  13. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice setup. Mine is similar, next size taller titanium mug, which I put a Nalgene bottle into, so it takes no space. Twig burner stove that folds flat. Same kind of folding silicone mug.
    I too prefer to eat out at little unique places. But sometimes I enjoy cooking (boiling water for dehydrated food or tea) just to use the twig stove, which is not real fast, but is very fun.
    MYUMPH, BoilerRealm and Adanac rider like this.
  14. Kawasakirob

Kawasakirob Phone, Wallet, Keys

Oddometer:
    That's a great photo by the way. Nice set up. I like it. Looks like good wide open riding in that particular area.
    baveras likes this.
  15. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    My gear packed.
    This was three nights out, but really my load doesn't change much whether it's three nights or three weeks....wait, I don't go out three weeks at a time. But still.
    20190824_172558.jpg

20190824_191511.jpg

I'm working on making it smaller and lighter.
  16. lanztek

lanztek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    3 of us in in central Idaho last month
    IMG_1123.JPG
    Kawasakirob, Kinsman, Mr Head and 4 others like this.
  17. maloryII

maloryII ey brah Supporter

Oddometer:
    My kit for a week long ride. I no longer take the MSR fuel bottles.

I found the most space savings in removing clothing -- I find no need to take more than 2 underwear/socks, 1 tshirt, and a warm layer no matter how long I'm out. Also using an ultralight backpacking sleeping pad (the yellow tube) saves a ton of space, but they're pricey.

Bulkiest is carrying spare F/R tubes... I'm too paranoid not to, however.

[​IMG]

Fits nicely on the 690 without much fuss

[​IMG]
  18. Bombs4breakfast

Bombs4breakfast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My setup for a weekend drinking at the Ogri MCC Rally last weekend

Attached Files:

19. surferbum

surferbum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
    What's the Jetboil for? Don't see any food or did I miss something?
  20. maloryII

maloryII ey brah Supporter

Oddometer:
    I pick up food on the road for that evening and toss it in my tankbag -- nothing fancy, usually a can of soup or something similar. And then of course coffee in the morning. Not many places in the US you can ride without being reasonably close to provisions, so I usually pack light on that end (exception being 2L of water in a camelback of course).