let's see a picture of your camping setup and how it all fits on your bike... please

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by ClearwaterBMW, Jun 8, 2007.

1. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went to quilts a few years ago. Really like it. I put a silk bag liner over my air mattress and then use a quilt on top. If it’s gonna be cold, I take the old Holubar sleeping bag that I made from a kit 40 years ago. Still a great bag down to O.
    snipesd likes this.
  2. baveras

baveras Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Everything is roomier than a bivy!

I’d love to see you set that hammock up when it’s windy. In those places everything that the wind get a hold of will definitely move around. And the weather is usually not really pleasant. Cold, windy & wet, and to top of the experience there are more mosquitoes and midgies than you think is possible.
    Despite the conditions it’s definetley a beautiful part of the world.
  3. maloryII

maloryII ey brah Supporter

Oddometer:
    what kind of quilt are you using? and how small does it pack down?
    Davidprej likes this.
  4. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    My guess is that there's zero breathability of a fabric treated with camp dry.

I do know that there is zero water coming in despite the level of rain and wind.

My $40 Coleman tent breathes through its screens so treating all the solid material has no apparent negative effect.
  5. maloryII

maloryII ey brah Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yikes... that would be like sleeping in a trash bag. Maybe if I rode a KLR650... :lol3
  6. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    These are older pictures.
    If a tent can be held up by stakes than why not a hammock with tarp? When windy i can set it lower. I can also close the front and rear "doors".
    Bugs are not a problem as the hammock has no seeum mesh. tapatalk_1567113164556.jpg tapatalk_1567113170431.jpg tapatalk_1567113178974.jpg
    Maggot12 likes this.
  7. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    but but but, its not a tent, its WRONG.

:lol3
    snipesd and nk14zp like this.
  8. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
  9. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And for those that want luxury at not too big of a weight/volume penalty, the Alps Lynx 1 is a perfect fit on top of a Thermarest Luxury Lite large size cot.
    MYUMPH likes this.
  10. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like a Hammock Gear Econ Burro (17 ounces) for an excellent zipper less option.

I use that, a Klymit Static V lite insulated pad (20 ounces), the Klymit quilted sheet (6 ounces) , the Klymit x-pillow (2 ounces), and if I want ultimate luxury, add the Thermarest LuxuryLite large cot (64 ounces). I add either a tarp (Aquaquest Guide 10x7, 18 ounces) or the Alps Lynx 1 (65 ounces) for a roof.

The entire sleep system with the tent and cot is 9.8 lbs. Subtract the cot and it's 5.8 lbs. Add the cot and a tarp, and subtract the tent and it's 6.9 lbs. Lots of options depending on how much weight/bulk I want to carry and how much comfort/shelter I need.
    MYUMPH likes this.
  11. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pitching on the ground starts around 4:00

Works in a lean-to too
    IMG_20190817_070803.jpg
  12. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    IMG_1708.JPG
    Sunday Rider and MYUMPH like this.
  13. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. LazyR

LazyR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The camping gear (photo with the most stuff on it)
    IMG_20190802_083029.jpg

How it fits on the bike:
    IMG_20190801_105004.jpg
    Except for my self inflating matrass and my little camping stool (which is just behind/below the matrass), everything fits nicely in the massive givi monokey side cases that came with the bike when i bought it :)
  15. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I noted someone was using a bivvi bag as did I in the pass (Don't camp anymore as I now only ride in Thailand which is just too hot to camp) however I did use prior to this us a Snugpack bivvi and Snugpack sleeping bag both of which I can recommend as they are both small light and very well made although a little expensive but what in not these days. The bivvi has a poled end so you can keep the rest of your stuff dry, really very good apart from :-

To my point, I hurt my wrist the second day out on a 5 day trip, I was on a Suzuki DR350, already not the best bike in the world to pack, guess what I could just get the sleeping bag rolled but not the bivvi bag and either could my friend that was supposedly fine (Pussy) Three more days of crap getting court up in my bivvi as we travelled. So guys, the moral here is try out the bivvi first as I think Snugpack may have taken the piss in the first case with the compression bag. Even now all these years later it is really had to get the bivvi in the bag without any aches or pains. So be warned.
    maloryII likes this.
  16. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Live
    6 days, 6 nights in VT

One side bag is hammock, bugnet,quilts 40*,tarp stakes, electronics and bear spray,falshlights ext
    Other side bag is clothes,croc water shoes,towel, shorts, toiletries,ect
    On rear rack is a ao 36pk cooler with 18 pack beer and waters and hot dogs and some shrimp
    On the beaver tail I carried my hammock stand (which I did not use) and my awesome kelty linger high back chair ( I can not recommend enough), I also keep my eastwing hatchet and a sven saw in the chair bag along with heavy leather gloves and some fire starters and a beer coozie and some chip clips
    and small folding table, a jacket and a bike cover
    In the side pockets I carry a insulated thermos bottle (I like cold ice water), and the other side is my jet boil cooking setup or my alcohol setup (depending on trip)
    In the POS givi tank bag is wallet, cash, keys, ect
    Love this setup
    KIMG3116.jpeg KIMG3117.jpeg KIMG3118.jpeg KIMG3184.jpeg KIMG3143.jpeg
    Birdu2, RJAMT, CavReconSGT and 6 others like this.
  17. amartin4410

amartin4410 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mosko scout panniers and 25 liter duffle. I typically bring the following for a 3 day ride. There are some items here I wouldn’t bring if It was only a night or two but three nights makes some items and things much more enjoyable.

Tent - Nemo bungalow 4
    Nemo cosmo air pad
    Nemo Jazz luxury sleeping bag
    Nemo footprint
    Nemo pawprint
    Camp chair
    Solo stove
    Med kit
    Food (2 ready to eat meals, almonds, bars, power bites)
    Camp light, head light, power pack charger,
    Hatchet
    Bear spray
    Gloves and fire starter
    Change of clothes (pants, 2 shirts, 2 socks, camp shorts, camp sandals, undies)
    Dopp kit with toiletries
    Tool roll

All clothing, med supplies, and sleeping bag go in scout duffle. All food, stove, electrical, and misc items go in one pannier. Sleeping accommodations go in other with room to spare. Tent gets strapped to passenger seat in front of scout 25. I use this tent because I already own it and don’t want to buy a separate smaller tent. It’s big but the space is actually really nice when in bad weather like we experience At Touratech DirtDaze.

Attached Files:

ejm4, dsquires16, CavReconSGT and 2 others like this.
  18. mnmlst

mnmlst mnmlst

Oddometer:
    Ultamid 4...

C02E7AD8-27DB-4635-9A9B-8D20AFB549ED.jpeg
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  19. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. bcliff

bcliff Been here awhile

Oddometer: