let's see a picture of your camping setup and how it all fits on your bike... please

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by ClearwaterBMW, Jun 8, 2007.

1. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    oh no, get insulated! I've got an Expedia Downmat that is the bomb.
  2. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I understsnd getting one that doesn't self inflate, but why non-insulated?

For me, insulated Static V Lite.
  3. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The new pads have multiple chambers that fill with air. They're tight enough that I don't sink "through" the pad and touch the ground, thus keeping me sleeping, literally, on air all night. I don't need the insulation since the air chamber is quite good at insulating me from the ground. Short of an electric heating element, I don't see how one can do better than the new pads.

Older pads that self-inflated (up to a point) relied on foam inside, that drew in air as they expanded from being compressed. That foam added weight and bulk. The new pads have to be blown entirely by mouth (or adaptive pump), and have no added weight or bulk, just their sheer material.
    Snake Oiler and Mr Head like this.
  4. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As I understand it, R value is a measure of how well the object (in this case, a sleeping pad) resists conductive heat loss while inflated. Sinking through and touching the ground would cause additional heat loss, but is not how a pad's R value is determined.

While R value sleeping pad calculations won't be standardized until 2020, it is generally accepted that the higher the R value, the less conductive heat loss. And, generally, non insulated pads have a lower R value than insulated pads.

All that said, whether you need an insulated pad (and if so, how much insulation) or not has many factors (ambient temperature, ground temperature, hot or cold sleeper, wind, humidity, quality and type of your other insulation, etc).

I camp in areas where it gets below freezing often. Sometimes I use the pad on the ground, sometimes on a mesh cot. On the cot convective heat loss is another factor as air circulates below it. Having an insulated pad assures me I will stay warm, and I've never found it to be too warm.

My Klymit Static V lite insulated weighs 1.6 ounces more at 19.6 ounces than Klymit's non insulated offering at 18 ounces. Thermarest Neoair Xlite is 12 ounces. To me an ounce or 2 extra makes no difference.
    RoundTrip, Jim K. and nvklr like this.
  5. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This was my pack heading to Tennessee in June, worked well for me. My Ortlieb soft panniers fit well inside the hard cases which was great, waterproof and easy for grab and go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Maggot12, Square1, Ladybug and 2 others like this.
  6. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    It's interesting to me to see the way people load their bikes. A common theme is a honkin' huge bag on the back of the seat. Can't imagine what that does to CG and handling unless it's light and bulky stuff.
  7. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    Probably quite similar to carrying a passenger?
    But usually less weight so maybe not as much effect.

Myself, I removed rear grab handles and rear foot pegs so my Wolfman bags fit better.
    Use tank panniers also so no issues for me with stuff on rear seat.
    Clampett and 1911fan like this.
  8. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only thing wrong with my Exped Downmat is the packed size. And maybe the minor hassle of inflation. I'm a side sleeper who appreciates a pad 9 cm thick. I suppose another negative is the price. I paid a lot less than what they are going for today.
  9. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    I've been told it's possible to pack it into the tiny bag it came in. Haven't tried; I think you'd need a vacuum pump. Side sleeper here too, and the Exped is worth even the current price.
    surferbum likes this.
  10. surferbum

surferbum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Relocated to Scottsdale, AZ from SF Bay area
    Who says that a honkin' huge bag is heavy

My 35L dry bag holds my tent, sleeping bag, inflatable mattress and freeze-dried food (<8lbs).
  11. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the bag is between the 2 axles (ahead of the rear) there's some change in CG but not much - assuming <50lbs weight.
  12. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    Good to know on both counts. Thanks!
    surferbum likes this.
  13. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I've ridden with a big pack on my passenger seat for years and years. It's not a problem at all. It wouldn't be something I would do for technical single track riding but all other riding it's been fine. I have done most of IDBDR (before it was IDBDR), Elk City Wagon Rd., Magruder, Lolo Motorway, Best of Montana, Baja, and many other rides packed heavy and looking cumbersome with no issues..

When I'm riding and camping multiple days I like having things that keep me comfortable in camp. A good night's sleep is a requirement for me.

Baja
    4.JPG

baja08223fl5[1].jpg

Loaded for Best of Montana - The red behind the side bag is a rotopax on each side, one with gas & one with fuel.
    a1.jpg
    Alaska
    F650.jpg

Elk City Wagon Rd., Magruder, Lolo Motorway
    x.jpg

2500 mile street ride to WI via Canada.
    27.JPG

With my bikes being on the small side the pack looks even bigger and heavier then if they same stuff was packed on a big bike.

Attached Files:

14. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    Tell me about Elk City Wagon Road. I was on the Hwy 14 end at Newsome a couple days ago. Where does it go?
  15. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I started from Lowell, ID heading S on Selway Rd., connected with the Elk City Wagon Rd. and took it to Elk City, ID. It's been a while since I did that one and there may have been a connecting Rd. between Selway Rd. And Elk City Wagon Rd. I used the ID Gazetteer for routing.
  16. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    I know the road from the end of the Selway River Road to Elk City is now closed. There's a washout that you can't get a horse around, much less a bike or quad.

Thanks, LB, I'll have to check it out!
  17. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Barely knew the gear was there. The bag sticking up on top is my ice chest. It is very light as it only contained dry food. Ice and beer wouldn't be added until I got to camp.
    Bombs4breakfast, gfh, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  18. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    What cooler is that
  19. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    One with gas and one with fuel..

Is this for a stove that doesn't burn gasoline?

20. cfootball73

cfootball73 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah ive seen them, ive had this one since i was a kid and camped every weekend in colorado with it. one day ill upgrade to a inflatable one.
    Andrew likes this.