let's see a picture of your camping setup and how it all fits on your bike... please

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by ClearwaterBMW, Jun 8, 2007.

1. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:

i'm with you.

i pack for size first, and the non insulated version of my air pad is almost half the packed size, i honestly i havent noticed a difference in temp comfort between the two.
  2. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's because you're in Arizona. Come camp up here in the snow.
    Jim K., RJAMT and gmk999 like this.
  3. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    Not so much a CG issue for me but more a weight distribution thing, My hard bags carry behind my axil so I really notice a few pounds in the bike's handling. If I put my heavier items in a bag across the pilot seat ahead of the axil my bike performs much much better. Obviously not as tidy a setup.. but a much better ride
    1911fan likes this.
  4. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    As I've improved the pack, I think that the location of my junk makes a noticeable difference. I've almost quit putting stuff on the seat, and if I do, I make sure it is light. I believe that the bike is a lot easier to pick up without the mass on the seat. The "forward bags" on this bike came out with the original Hypers, and I am so glad that they did. They are only made for this bike and they are well thought out and they've taken the brunt of my fall offs without issue. I can get a lot of things in them (stove, fuel, tool roll, tent poles, air pump, cat hole shovel, and some smaller bits. I try to carry everything at or below the crotch level of the bike which keeps the CG low. The forward bags help to keep the bike more in balance front to back. In the Wolf bags, I get: Copper Spur tent (1 person), Copper Spur fly, 1 sweatshirt, 2 pr. socks, 2 pr. underwear, 1 t-shirt, 1 pr. Brooks running shoes, down bag, static v, wolfman tool bag which contains all my toiletries, 1 toboggan, and my food. In the Wolf bag, I also carry a spare (larger) tent fly that I use if I am caught in weather that I need to sit out. I have been using the tool tube, mounted under the left rear wolf bag for my spare fuel, but I'm done with that thing.....I'm just going to use the wolf bottle holders that attach to the bag from now on. In the Wolf tank bag, I put things that I need often: wallet, sunglasses, boonie hat, knife, a few wipes, 1 pr. hiking shorts, 1st aid ointment, band-aids, 6 opioid tablets in their bottle (broke bone insurance), and sometimes a snack or two. The little camo bag riding on the Wolf bag is my camp chair -- #screwjoemotocross.

[​IMG]
    toyotarig, Askemux, GoRide16 and 7 others like this.
  5. Vrode

Vrode Not my problem Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:

guess you've never been to Arizona, my winter is shorter than yours,,,, but its respectable.:D

here's my yard

[​IMG]
  7. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    suprbst and Brutalguyracing like this.
  8. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have all my tent, sleeping stuff etc in my duffel, I don’t notice the weight at all.
    [​IMG]
    Done some pretty good off-road just carrying the duffel with no issues
    [​IMG]
  9. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    Venturing down the rabbit hole of sleeping bags. I like the ones I have but want something that compresses better. I'll be replacing my old tired NF 20* bag. It's now a maybe 40* bag.
  10. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    May I suggest a quilt?
    RJAMT likes this.
  11. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    ok so now your just gonna slap me in the back of the head,,,, with that non insulated pad i use a quilt.

i really like quilts, quite versatile. i have two,,, one is a Hammock Gear burrow 0* and the other is a Loco Libre custom made 20*, both small cottage makers and i like them both.

anyway, everything i take for any trip of any duration to any destination is right here,,, in two mosko panniers

[​IMG]
    Kinsman, wee-twin, MaverickNC and 2 others like this.
  12. PNWet

PNWet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hammock Gear Burro econ 20 + 1oz overstuffed, size regular / wide with ground pad attachment. That's what I got 12 months ago when I was faced with the same decision. Cost $201.95 w/ shipping. Weighs about a pound.

It's a top quilt with the gathered end option so I can vent my feet.

I got it after I was on the NW Passage Adv route and my 35 degree Kelty bag wasn't nearly enough. Fortunately I'd brought a Costco down throw, because while at Long Swamp, it got down to the low 20's. I didn't expect it to be that cold in the first week of September. If I didn't have that down throw I'd have been up all night doing air squats to try to stay warm. Not good. This made me rethink my sleep set up.

Since then: the Burro and an insulated pad.

Camp at Long Swamp:

20180903_195122.jpg
    Burro driver likes this.
  13. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    Been looking at quilts, too. I am a cold sleeper.
  14. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hat socks and base layer - also a synthetic bag compresses less under you than down so hold more R value there. Lamina bags seem to compress better than most synthetics. Air itself has no insulation value, so an insulated pad really helps. An insulated pad is a can of beer, an uninsulated is half a can - (fosters size) so finding space isn't a big deal.
    1911fan likes this.
  15. appliance57

Oddometer:
    Two BIG mosko bags. But wish I was there - as the postcards say.
  16. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:

Yeah, 70 liters total. But nothing over the seat, which was my goal.
  17. beefcake morris

beefcake morris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can some one post a picture of their quilt in a compression sack like: Sea to Summit Compression Sack.

I am looking to what the pack down size is compared to a mummy bag.

Also, any details on the quilt you have compressed.
  18. appliance57

Oddometer:
    Yeah - I don't mind stuff on the seat, but I try to keep everything between the axles. I feel it a little at first but it disappears - heavier stuff low, really heavy stuff in the panniers .
  19. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:

I think having your gear tight and close to the bike has alot to do with it also, i cant feel those loaded mosko's from empty.
    1911fan likes this.
  20. PNWet

PNWet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've already said I like my Klymit Static V insulated light r=4.4). I also usually add a Klymit quilted sheet (r=? though it reportedly adds 2 to the pad's r value).

One thing I really like about the sheet is it's more comfortable than just the pad and it has a pillow pocket. This makes it easier to use something else to fill the pillow space. Personally I use a Klymit x pillow. The pad, quilt, sheet, and x pillow are about 3 lbs.

Pad 20 ounces
    X pillow 2 ounces
    Quilted Sheet 11 ounces?
    Quilt 16 ounces?