let's see a picture of your camping setup and how it all fits on your bike... please

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by ClearwaterBMW, Jun 8, 2007.

1. TOC

TOC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chairs & self-inflating pillows fit in the tail bag, with the camp table under the tent on top. Table is through the bag handle, and also through the cinched-down tent bag’s straps. I’ve got a bungee net over that, but it doesn’t seem to need it. Lightweight sleeping bags are in the saddlebags, and frankly, taking up WAY too much space in there. We’ll strap them on top, in the future.

The Bonnie handled all this nicely, but wife may want something roomier, in the future. She’s not used to riding distance yet, so may be fine with experience. Two-up complicates the loading, but sure is nice to have company.[/QUOTE]

Seems like you're off to a good start from your boy scout years, nothing better than having a travel companion just keep in mind keeping her comfortable is the key to success.
    Packing for two up camping is problematic to say the least, basically double everything except the tent and the only solution I've found is to throw money at it, this BA sleep system would cut your pack size by two thirds, it's just expensive for something I'll use maybe twice a year, two bags with a pack size of 5"x12" and 7"x8" , I'm going to shop it out after the holidays hopefully find a closeout deal, safe travels brother
    Screenshot_2019-11-10-08-42-23.png Screenshot_2019-11-10-08-41-26.png
    ClutchDumpinDan, Bad Wolf and WDG like this.
  2. WDG

WDG Not entirely domesticated

Oddometer:
    When I started packing, I wondered if the chairs & table might be a silly extravagance, but it turned out they were our favorite place to relax throughout the day. We’ll definitely be taking them on all our camping trips.

I’ve looked a bit a some of the duo style bags, but am currently thinking two bags that can be zipped together into one might be more flexible. Still looking, though, so may change my mind before I’m done.
    markinthailand and Ladybug like this.
  3. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    @WDG make sure that when the bags zip together there is not a flat place between them. Ex #2 and I bought a pair of Nemos, IIRC, and when zipped together there was a 10-12" gap down the middle. No insulation.
    We found this out the first night.
    globalt38 and WDG like this.
  4. TOC

TOC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Nemo mezzo loft that can be zipped to another but from what I've read it doesn't work so great, I can't see how it would work looking at it, I'm thinking you need a bottomless two person bag with a single insulated pad and pad sleeve to make it all work.
    1911fan and WDG like this.
  5. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rarely go anywhere overnight without my Kermit chair amd the little table I got last year has turned out to be a great addition. I’m feeling Kermit May have to stay home when I take my 525 to Siberia next year, space and weight will be at a premium.
  6. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I switched from the Kermit, (I still have at and it gets used once in a while at the beach) to an Elite Monarch Butterfly chair.
    Weighs a lot less than the Kermit and takes up good deal less space.

[​IMG]
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  7. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I might be forced to go with something like that. The Helinox doesn’t save enough space to bother.
  8. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    We've got a couple of the lightweight REI chairs (Airs?) and they are really key to happy camping for us. Most of my gear now is ultralight (tent, backpack, etc.), and since I'm not a total UL obsessive, it allows for some nice things like a pair of light chairs -- and it is totally worth it at the end of the day. And all of it works really well with moto camping to boot.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  9. stevieblunder

stevieblunder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did a Lake Superior circle tour a few years back.
    kaw.JPG
    camp.JPG
    MYUMPH, WDG, Kampfire and 2 others like this.
  10. RJAMT

RJAMT Who remembered the winch? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Regarding over packing.......

Everyone has their own idea of camping but it all boils down to this: If you get home and realize you used everything* you brought then you didn't over pack.

* - except the trauma kit!
  11. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    What I see most about over packing, is not so much they took more gear, is that the gear itself is huge. A sleeping bag that packs the size of a 5 gallon bucket, a blue rolled up piece of foam that's a foot diameter. A lawn chair that weighs 9 lbs and 3ft x 1ft packed.

And that was me the first time out.

I believe someone mentioned cheap, light, small, or something like that, and can only pick 2.

WDG, Albie and Bad Wolf like this.
  12. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    Big deal. It's their ride. If they want to pack it around, what does it matter?
  13. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    That's fine, but it's nice to evolve too though. With my large packed gear in the beginning, If I wanted to carry fishing gear, I either had to give something up, or go smaller. Going smaller was the best option. Then my daughter wanted to camp with me, 2up, and fish. So now I had to find 2 pads, 2 bags, 2 rods, 2 chairs, 2 pillows, and smaller, higher quality tent.
    So the small sized gear allows me to take more stuff.
    This took a few summers to get to the point where I'm happy. It's nice being able to 2 up with all gear and clothing inside the 3 piece luggage.

But yeah, you're correct, it doesn't matter to me... I've never engaged anyone saying they're doing it wrong.

TOC, WDG and NorthIdaho800gsa like this.
  14. RJAMT

RJAMT Who remembered the winch? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've switched to smaller, lighter gear also as technology has evolved and my bank account improved. Small and light gear is rarely cheap!
    WDG, Mr Head and NorthIdaho800gsa like this.
  15. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    I'm kinda in the same boat. Gear is a progression. What works today might not tomorrow. my son started going with me. So I know what you mean. Now I have 2 of everything, including fly rods.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  16. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    For me, there are several factors influencing the progression of my camping gear. When I was poor, young, strong and not worried about comfort, my gear was of necessity cheap and heavy and I was just fine with that. When I was mid-age (40's-50's), I had more money, less strength, didn't require comfort, and I went to lighter, more compact gear . Now that I am "old" (64), weak, want/need comfort, and own a pig ADV bike which can carry many lbs of gear, I've gone to expensive and heavy (e.g., Redverz, large insulated air pad, etc.). I've still got my old gear so can opt for going the lightweight, less comfortable route if desired. IMO it is nice to have options!
  17. WDG

WDG Not entirely domesticated

Oddometer:
    I knew as I put together my gear that this would necessarily be a progression, as we gained more experience and a better idea of our needs & wants.

Most of our gear actually worked VERY well, with the most irritating being our bags. The tent was on a very slight incline, but the bags & liners were so slippery together that it seemed impossible to get situated in a comfortable position before slipping to the foot end of the tent.

Also, we clearly needed pads or something. I’m thinking the Therm-a-Rest LuxuryLite-style low cot might work.

Then we have to address pillows...
  18. NorthIdaho800gsa

Oddometer:
    My only bit of friendly advice is: get an insulated pad. I have a exped insulated. Klymit has some that are good and cheaper. You want insulated though....trust me.
    Dread, RJAMT, WDG and 2 others like this.
  19. skibum69

Oddometer:
    The other side is the better gear you buy the longer it will last making it cheaper in the long run, which goes for pretty much everything in life.
    overlander likes this.
  20. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    ...and tools and spares, of course.

I've done more bicycle camping than motorcycle camping but the same rules apply and you have to take what works for you. I took an REI Helinox-copy chair last trip and will never go without one, or a variation, again.