let's see a picture of your camping setup and how it all fits on your bike... please

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by ClearwaterBMW, Jun 8, 2007.

1. wolfmanluggage

wolfmanluggage Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Simple, stable, and light. E-Base and 3 Medium Rolie bags. Total weight, including tools, and the bags: 28 lbs IMG_20190904_094713.jpg
    Woof!e
  2. Polak5

Polak5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wolfman setup.. notice small bag under bike 1322E4FD-0877-4784-B1F9-82CDF5DE3FF0.jpeg
  3. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Hmmm,,,don't have any pictures. Seldom carry a camera, I ride to ride, not play photographer (I have a little photography studio at home.). Some time in the very early 80's two friends and myself did an overnight to the Sand Dunes (what is now Great Sand Dunes NP) 3 hours south. We had two BMW airheads and a T500. We had no luggage to speak of (I went on to invent spam cans in later years) and the internet hadn't been invented so there were no strange mini chairs much less endless discussions of equipmenteering. But we all had backpacking experience and the gear and packs and all that. So we packed our packs, big frame packs, and strapped them to the bike seats lengthwise. Then we hit the road.

At the trailhead we unlashed the packs and put them on then hiked in to a nice looking wild campsite. We built a fire in the sand and buried prepared brown'n'serve rolls stuffed with veggies and cheese in the coals. Ate like royalty. Played in the dunes the next day then rode home. Jean, the original motorcycle grandma, promptly dropped the beemers on the T500. When we rolled in she was already in the hot tub. "ohhh, the power!" was all she said. Her CL350 was the first bike I ever rode.

I've been reading this thread backwards a page at a time and realizing how wrong I've been doing things. No moto specific gear, no setting up my tent in the rain (in 40+ years I have never done it), no spending money on anything, still using the backpacking gear I had as an older teenager, never staying in a motel...

I realize now how deprived my adventures have been and how much I have missed. Curse you ADV, I used to be happy!
    dobby, Emgo, Tuna209 and 3 others like this.
  4. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you've never set up a tent in the rain and the dark, in 40 years, you've been mighty lucky or very selective in your weather choices.
    BTW, you're not missing much.
  5. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    This is Sasho and Mike. My 690.
    It started raining that morning. We waited in Hungry Horse, drinking coffee and hoping it would stop then finally gave up and went on into Glacier.

20190825_102215.jpg

Spent the day riding in rain. Saw a lion.

This is how we avoided setting up in rain: the porch of an inn not far from Polebridge. :lol3

20190825_190555.jpg

We got a fire going inside and spent the evening drinking and playing guitar. :kumbaya:beer

Man it felt good to thaw and dry out.
  6. Plaka

Oddometer:
    I suppose luck plays a part. I don't ride much (overnight) off road. I don't camp during the rainy season. I currently live in a semi-arid climate. I really don't know what I would do. On trips there is always shelter to be found and I usually just roll out my ensolight pad, lay down in whatever I'm wearing and go to sleep. I get rather feral on the road.

In the morning if I am somewhere non-hostile I fire the stove and make soup, hot chocolate and wash water. if I am somewhere weird (that night in the graveyard or the cornfield where I got to meet the shotgun toting farmer) I'll go down the road a ways to someplace more reasonable. I sort of live at large, hobo style, without the interesting company.

Frequently I don't use the tent. Unless there are bad bugs (skeeters and scorpions). Common to have the tent wet with dew in the morning. I set it up at lunch and dry it. I pack it a particular way so it is very fast to set up.
  7. sajor

sajor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you ride there or had your biked towed...................
  8. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll have you know I conquered "The Tail of the Dragon" with that load:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Kawasakirob, BigEasy, WDG and 4 others like this.
  9. globalt38

globalt38 "A Fist Full of Throttle" Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :eek7
  10. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I understand what you like about your setup, but I will add this - it's pretty nice to be tucked into my hammock at the edge of a lake listening to the rain come down.
    RJAMT and Meritlane like this.
  11. Plaka

Oddometer:
    I have a 'soothing raindrops' recording on my MP3 player....

jus' sayin'.
    NorthIdaho800gsa likes this.
  12. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haha, fair enough...
  14. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dragging a bag....
    Kawasakirob likes this.
  15. Kawasakirob

Kawasakirob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    On a 800mi 3 day tour.

Cottonwood Pass, to the Trough Road, to Colorado River Rd, to McClure Pass, to Schofield Pass, to Pearl Pass, to Taylor Pass, to Hagerman Pass, to Mosquito Pass, to Webster Pass, to Jones Pass then, Berthoud Pass and lastly Corona Pass.

20190907_114246.jpg

20190907_073058.jpg
    LarrySoCal, thewbee, Kinsman and 12 others like this.
  16. Kawasakirob

Oddometer:
    Nice meeting you and your wife briefly this summer in Winter Park.
    wolfmanluggage likes this.
  17. RWJorg

RWJorg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    this a solo trip ???
    Kawasakirob likes this.
  18. Kawasakirob

Oddometer:
    yes sir.

I'm having a hard time finding other riders that want to do that much mileage over that type of terrain in such a short window while also being self sufficient.
  19. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    You did Schofield Pass loaded, and didn't go into the water? . Looks like a cool trip!
    Kawasakirob likes this.
  20. Kawasakirob

Oddometer:

Haha Oh yeah. Funny thing is I did it the same weekend as the guy who fell in the water. He's lucky to be alive!
    The infamous punchbowl off Schofield.
    20190906_140345.jpg

Pearl Pass was the kicker. I made it within eye sight of the summit from the Butte side and ran into some snow. Decided to skirt the edge instead of taking 5min to clear a path. Bike slid off the road. Tried dragging it, flipping it but nothing worked. Ended up riding down the hill, crashing hard, cracked the case and having to JB quick the case and add more oil to the bike before pinning the living daylights out of it to get back on trail. I found a game trail and spent about 30min prepping the path for the climb out. All this to discover Pearl pass was closed on the Aspen side....after riding over it. In the previous post, you can see the patch job on the case.

20190907_093411.jpg
    Had to cross those snow fields also in the distance. Summit of Pearl
    20190907_103608~2.jpg
    Dropping into Aspen
    20190907_105455.jpg
    thewbee, Dao1, toecutta and 14 others like this.