1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

let's see a picture of your camping setup and how it all fits on your bike... please

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by ClearwaterBMW, Jun 8, 2007.

1. TinMan207

TinMan207 Most often a lurker... Supporter

Oddometer:
    2 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC has an OD of just under 3". 3" PVC is about 3.5". Oatey (and others probably) make watertight end caps. Cheap and effective DIY. You can make a similar tube from aluminum pipe with the same end caps and it might be slightly smaller OD.
  2. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Personally I wouldn’t bring a hatchet, risk to be confiscated across borders.

Also the hydro flask coffee mug. Not sure you need that heavy / big of a mug for insulation. What type of coffee and how long do you need to drink it? Coffee cups in most of Europe are very small and often not served in your cup. If you are making your own, come up with a multi-use approach. I use a Nalgene with a removable coffee press plunger ( for two of us), or leave it home and bring small cups for instant coffee.
    I like the Nalgene as I can use it as a heat source inside the sleeping bag for cold nights, and also re-heat the water in the morning for coffee.
    Speaking of water, did not see any other water carrier other than the daypack.

Keep the duffel even if 1/2 empty. Nice to use for extra food or to re-arrange some items ( you may find that certain items are easier to get to in the duffel instead of digging out of the panniers).

As others have said, nice setup.
  3. 0theories

0theories Enthusiastically Skeptical... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for the lead! I've scoured the local hardware stores, Lowes and Home Depot and nobody carries the 2.5". Just went to the Oatey website and again only the 1.5", 2", 3,4,6... are listed. Do you by chance know where I can order the 2.5"? It's like the unicorn size LOL...
  4. TinMan207

Oddometer:
    I have never looked into myself. I have a 4" aluminum tool tube that the PO of my DR650 sourced and I bought another smaller one (in pvc) that I bought from procycle.us as a kit.

However, have you tried Granger?
    https://www.grainger.com/category/p...ng?attrs=Outside+Dia.|2-1/2"|3"&filters=attrs

They seem to offer aluminum tube that could work...
  5. 0theories

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the input. I had the hatchet strapped to the outside of the bike during the Mexico, Central America trip with never a mention from border/police during stops. Of course this may be different in Europe and to be honest I very rarely used it (a bit for splitting firewood and once to cut a small tree blocking a road). It may not be worth bringing...

[​IMG]

As far as the coffee mug, I'm an addict :) I mostly chose that one because it's leak-proof (but also keeps the coffee hot/cold for a long time) and because it's the one I already have. I often stop to get espresso based coffee (Americano) and keep it/sip it throughout the day. Usually I'll refill before camping and then have it in the morning to not bother with preparation while in a non-caffeinated state. Gotta have my coffee so that I can get up and make coffee :lol3 The larger hydroflask (on the right) is for the water not in the daypack. I'm with you on the duffel.
    glasshousebc and Sunday Rider like this.
  6. 0theories

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the 4" was perfect for the KLR (see pic above). I wish I could just replicate it with those end caps in 2.5". I'm all about the DIY. What kind of end caps are you using for your aluminum tube? Are they screw-on or similar to KLR pic above?
  7. TinMan207

Oddometer:
    It's the same as what you have. Friction fit rubber gasket.
    [​IMG]
    it's under the muffler, behind the luggage. The Procycle one is on the other side.
    This pics was after I had been on the road for 6 months (in Big Bend TX - 2017)
    0theories likes this.
  8. 0theories

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's exactly what I'm looking for, but in 2.5" (up to ~3.1" OD). My intent is to put one on each side just above the exhaust. I've been searching for a while and just can't source it :(

Edit: Your tube seems super close the the exhaust. I take it no issues with heat? Maybe I can go a little bigger than I thought (although 3.5 OD still won't fit...)

Looks like those gripper plugs don't come in half sizes. I need to find a relatively thin walled tube with an ID of 3". The quest continues :)
  9. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think there is any issues bringing a hatchet into Canada, don't know about Mexico. I have done it several times and I was talking with a local when I was in Radisson near James bay and they had full axes strapped to the sides of the motorcycles. It was a nice setup by the way. No one in customs ever asked about a hatchet either. Though they seem fascinated with butterfly knives. Kept asking me about that.

KR
  10. TinMan207

Oddometer:
    My tube does not touch the exhaust, and heat rises. I have never had a problem with heat in this configuration, but would have to think hard about it if the tube had to go above the exhaust...
    0theories likes this.
  11. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hatchet are not an issue in Europe, I carried one several times over the years and had the pleasure of being searched several times as I may have looked a bit dodgie at the time. No issue, the Police and customs are not anti bike camper. I still have mine but it is old now and the head was in truth a better log splinter than a tree feller (Quite thick bladed), my friend has a new Gerber combination hatchet which has a handy knife included which fits in the hollow handle, very cool and very handy and much better tree feller than mine. I would not however carry it exposed, that is asking for trouble.

Another really nice bit of kit is the Camillus Camtrax, axe, saw combo, worth cheeking out.
    0theories and CavReconSGT like this.
  12. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the electrical department at Lowes they have gray pvc conduit.

I do not know the sizes or end cap availability but it might be worth a look there.
  13. GoAWOL

GoAWOL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I joke a lot and say it's all hair care products. Seriously though, for this trip I had water in the hard cases because I was concerned everything would be closed because of Covid...and it was. This pushed some camping gear and other items up into the bags you see. Not too many gas stations where I was. Tne waterproof bag has the sleeping bag. The other waterproof bag had clothes and food. The mosko Moto center bag had the tent, camp chair, and other various camp items. It looks bulky but in reality not a crazy amount of stuff. This is the same setup I used for my Baja trip and it works well.
    globalt38 likes this.
  14. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't heard of anyone having issues carrying a camp hatchet travelling, especially if it's packed away.
  15. 0theories

Oddometer:
    Aaaaand finally, here's what it looks like assembled. I only put up the tarp if there's chance of rain or tent is under intense, direct sunlight.

[​IMG]

Okay, I've completed the picture. I think I'm done spamming this thread for a bit :)
  16. Booghotfoot

Booghotfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My set up is pretty simple... Fits on the Wee with room to spare. 20200620_061210.jpg
  17. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    no kidding with a trunk that big:lol3
  18. polarbearrider

polarbearrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Room for beer... a couple of flats...
  19. systemic_anomaly

systemic_anomaly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is my starting point for a fair-weather weekend trip. I'm new to moto-travel and looking forward to improving this setup. This thread has given me lots of ideas .

Currently this all weighs about 35lbs.

Tent strapped to the luggage rack.

Tank bag contains:

Camera gear including mini-tripod.
    Maxpedition pouch that holds all the little odds and ends, see pic.
    Earplugs.
    Tire gauge.
    Pair of nitrile gloves.

30L drybag duffel contains:

3L water bladder on the outside of the waterproof main compartment.

Fleece sleeping bag & SOL Escape Bivy .Self-inflating pillow. (bearable down to 45f)

Mess kit - China canister stove, isobutane fuel, cooking cup, pot, spoon and insulated cup.

Food for 2 days - All cheap grocery store stuff - eg retort pouch rice/pasta & chicken salad, canned meat/veggies/soup, instant oats, dry cured bacon. Freeze-dried meals would allow further trimming of weight and size.

3 day snacks - Clif bars, dark chocolate, mixed nuts.

Sleeping shorts and spare undies/socks.

Adult wipes - great for shower substitute for 2-3 days.

Minimal repair kit - tire tools, paracord, pliers, T-handle wrench & sockets. Screenshot_20200627-233612~2.jpg IMG_20200610_231151.jpg IMG_20200608_131046.jpg IMG_20200608_130828.jpg
  20. Farmer Tim

Farmer Tim Farmer Tim

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This is the most over packed I have done. The green duffel is the air mattress and it was only about 8" diameter when packed, but seemed to open up to fill the bag on the trip. Now I have a very small mattress. People commented that I didn't need to bring the kitchen sink. I was at the Triumph Baker City Rally and I was the only one who camped :-/