let's see a picture of your camping setup and how it all fits on your bike... please

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by ClearwaterBMW, Jun 8, 2007.

1. vanislejay

vanislejay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I miss my Tarn 3 tent. It was heavy and it didn't pack very well, but it was the driest tent I ever owned, and the vestibule was so nice. I kept it until it wouldn't stay dry anymore, and I haven't been happy with the tent I replaced it with, even though it cost twice as much.
    MGV8, gpfan and KayDubbya like this.
  2. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I still have my Tarn 2. Best deal, tent wise, I've ever seen.
    MGV8 and vanislejay like this.
  3. vanislejay

Oddometer:
    I wish they would remake it with modern materials, I'd ditch my Volt-3LT and get another Tarn in a second. My Tarn lasted like 15 years of decently heavy use before it started leaking, I doubt the Volt will last that long.
    MGV8, gpfan and KayDubbya like this.
  4. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes it's been an awesome tent. Maybe a 100 plus nights in it, lost count. This one has stood up well and is still good plus I have spare. Kinda. Traded the Daughter for her's (that I bought her) for my Big house four. I have been thinking I am getting too creaky to crawl in. Maybe just lazy. :D Replaced it with a Redverz Solo which as I stated I haven't be able to use yet. The luxury of being able to stand up is going to be nice and the size is not going to be an issue for carrying on the Rig. Maybe this Fall I'll figure out the packing of all the new kit. I have plans for a two to three week trip checking out local stuff I haven't seen yet.
  6. longdude17

longdude17 If you do stupid things, expect stupid results....

Oddometer:
    IMG_9852.jpg
    IMG_9882.jpg

Here’s my setup, Cabelas XPG tent, blow up mattress and kelty bag.... spent 10 days on the TAT with this set up. All fits in the dry bag. Clothes in the left pannier, extra jacket and blanket in right pannier, pelican case for tools and cook ware, Engel box for the food and catch all.
  7. AT86

AT86 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Packed for a ride two up and the stay below palms 20200703_202337.jpg 20200703_175405.jpg
    SloMoShun, 0theories, dp064 and 2 others like this.
  8. SloMoShun

SloMoShun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took very little time to pack for this first moto-camping trip, and decided to go pretty minimalist, inspired by past backpacking trips.

Here's the bike all packed up:
    IMG_8859.jpeg

Here are the panniers (Tusk Olympus soft bags) and my 35L dry bag, off of the bike, getting ready to set up camp, plus my jacket and helmet:
    IMG_8882.jpeg

I was lucky to find two good trees for hanging my hammock, but I came prepared with two Tensa Solo poles, plus anchors and dyneema line. I set it up with a tire changing pad in the center, anchored with rocks and a hatchet, for stepping on. And I put the panniers under the tarp in case of rain, etc. My riding pants were hanging over the top, temporarily, but I ended up hanging them from the hammock line with an S-biner, with my jacket on another one.
    IMG_8890.jpeg

Here's a view from the open end of the tarp (I made doors for the other end due to a steady breeze from that direction). You can see my "budget" Costco underquilt home made using the Gemini method. Jacket hanging on the near side.
    IMG_8887.jpeg

Overall, successful trip. Stayed warm enough with wool base layers, including neck gaiter and hood, slept great. There are a few items that didn't get used, so I'll continue adjusting my packing list.
    Maggot12, AdvRich, dobby and 14 others like this.
  9. Luckster

Luckster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice job on the Costco underquilt. I have a friend that did the top quilt build and he likes his. What did the total weight turn out to be for it?
  10. Luckster

Luckster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a setup that I've been working on honing for the past couple years. My main goal is to fit all my overnight gear in two dry bags. My repair kit/med kit etc all fit in the tank bag which stays on the bike 24/7. The large dry bag contains all my camping gear/clothes etc. The smaller bag contains food/cooking supplies. I string the small bag up as a bear bag when camping in remote areas. With this load out I'm good for any length trip, the only mod I would make is the amount of food I bring. I don't like keeping gear on the side of the bag as it's more prone to damage during bike drops so it's all stacked on the rear passenger area. I used to have a Vstrom with a milk crate on the back which I used the same strategy for, but now I'm on a WRR and this load works great. It's pretty quick to attach to the bike as I have some straps I've cut to length for each of the bags. The only thing I'm looking at changing is adding a loop on the dry bags to help orient the straps quickly, but that's the only mod I'm looking at currently. I just switched to a two person tent from a hammock, that's the only big camping gear change I've had for a while. I got tired of trying to keep all my gear dry under the tarp, and as a side sleeper I could never seem to get reliable sleep in my hammock. After splurging on a nice inflatable camping pad I've gotten the best sleep I've ever gotten camping with my new tent setup.
    I usually try to bring along a few things that might not be on the normal list for leisure items:
    1. A citronella candle. This is a great backup if you can't make a fire or don't have time to make one.
    2. A compact chair. Doesn't always get brought along, but it makes for a much more relaxing camp experience if you are doing some primitive camping.
    3. Twinkly lights. For the gram and to set the mood.
    Otherwise as far as camping goes I try to go as Ultralight as financially possible, there are a lot of great forums on ultralight backpacking and that's where I get a lot of my inspiration from.

Here are some pics of the yamaha loadout.

IMG_E8752_square.jpg
    IMG_E8760.JPG
    IMG_E8909.JPG
    IMG_1478.jpg

Here are some pics from my Vstrom/hammock days.
    IMG_1482.jpg
    IMG_1481.jpg
    IMG_1479.jpg
    IMG_1483.jpg

Here is a detailed pack list from my last trip:
    Storage
    Outdoor Product Dry Bag Large
    Outdoor Product Dry Bag Small
    Tie Down Straps x3
    Teton Sports Backpack

Shelter:
    Marmot Bolt 2p UL Tent
    Marmot Bolt Groundcloth
    Hammock Tarp + Pegs

Sleep System:
    Nemo Tensor Sleeping Pad
    Marmot Hydrogen Sleeping Bag
    Marmot Inflatable Pillow
    Earplugs

Accessories:
    Med Kit
    Ibuprofen, Blister Kit, Band aids, Neosporin, Duct Tape, Chapstick
    Classic Swiss Army Knife and Spyderco Delica 4
    Brunton Compass
    Paper Map
    Digital Map
    Wallet
    House Key

Toiletries:
    Baby Wipes x4, Mini Deoderant, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Floss
    Lens Cleaning Wipe
    Whistle
    Small Shovel The Deuce #2
    Toilet Paper
    Bug Spray
    Hand Sanitizer

Electronics:
    Cell phone
    Battery Backup charger x2 and cable
    Headlamp
    Spare AAA batteries for the headlight
    GoPro Hero 8, 4 batteries
    Battery Charger, Gopro mounts
    Helmet Mount flashlight and mount
    Gopro helmet mount
    Lens cleaning cloth
    Mini Tripod
    Mini Lights

Packed Extras:
    Reef Sandals
    Camping Chair
    Fire Starter Logs and mini bic
    Bear Spray
    Citronella Candle

Food:
    1.5L and 1L Smart Water Bottles
    6x Cliff bars
    Sawyer Mini Water Filter
    Water Filter Squeeze Bag 32oz x2
    Sawyer Straw
    Jetboil Flash Camping Stove
    Mini Bic
    Camping Stove Fuel Bottle x2
    Freeze Dried Meal for dinner and breakfast x2
    TOAKS Titanium Spoon w/Polished Bowl
    Coffee Powder x2
    Small Towel
    Paper Towel
    Water (1L=33.8oz)
    Protein Powder in baggie
    Paracord for Bear Bag
    Coffee Cup
    Ziploc Gallon Bag for trash

Clothing (Wear):
    Prescription Sunglasses
    Marmot Synthetic Shirt
    Marmot Synthetic Underwear
    Marmot Synthetic Shorts
    Wool Socks

Clothing Packed:
    Marmot Featherless Jacket
    Synthetic underwear x2
    Synthetic short sleeve shirt
    Wool socks x2
    Synthetic Long Sleeve Shirt
    Sweat Pants (Sleeping)
    Nike Shorts

Bike:
    2013 WR250R
    Precip Moto Adventure Rally Cover
    Wolfman Tank Bag w/tools and spare tube
    Rotopax 1 gallon tank

Anything I'm missing?
  11. SloMoShun

SloMoShun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate! Tough to say on weight but I’d guess around 80lbs total, including bags/brackets, etc. I’ll try to get organized earlier next time and lay out everything then pack and weigh.
    Luckster likes this.
  12. Effendi

Effendi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back in my yoof I used to help out with adventure/activity holidays for disabled people. A couple of the older disabled chaps in wheelchairs used to carry their own piss bottles around with them tucked into bags on their chairs. The bottles they used were the upmarket hospital type piss bottles made of glass with a rubber bung - thing is they were never pissed in, ever. When they went over to France for a day visit from the UK they used to buy whiskey, or cognac and fill up their piss bottles with those along with bringing back their duty free allowance all nicely still in the packaging for customs to inspect (customs apparently avoided the piss/smugglers bottles as if they contained covid). They used to carry around a piss bottle full of their favourite tipple so that they could have a drink as and when they felt like it and no one would know that they had booze in the bottles.
    bromax, GR8SKP, Dumphead and 10 others like this.
  13. vanislejay

Oddometer:
    I love this!
    Luckster likes this.
  14. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Deadly!
  15. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Likes dogs with a bone, just will not leave it alone.
  16. Turbodog1000

Turbodog1000 Vintage Rider

Oddometer:
    If your looking for a drybag with built in strap loops, try Sea to Summit Big River, I used the 30 liter as a tent bag on my Trans-America Trail ride, very secure also used Rokstraps. The blue bag has my tent, tent fly, camp chair, 2X3 lumber I use as a motorcycle prop stick/tent stake hammer, & piss bottle. I had 2 of these bags, the other was used for misc quick grab stuff, rain gear, water, etc.

Photo, I had a wasp in my helmet, no stinking time for a kickstand. Screenshot_20200610-103055_Gallery.jpg
  17. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    AAC28E56-DD23-4F4D-B74F-DD72899277BF.jpeg 84B83BB7-26C6-41FB-BD90-EA0A1E381EC0.jpeg 56CE0E5A-BAE8-4AF4-9795-507B2A0C9038.jpeg
    15 day load out. Includes large 2 man tent , laptop and a cot.
    dobby, SilverAdvRdr, joevacc and 7 others like this.
  18. Nanin

Nanin Halfozze

Oddometer:
    Valencia-Spain-Europe / Banora Point-NSW-Australia
    107945554_10220932651138861_5094412796900057412_n.jpg 107792926_10220932649818828_8809339353733252094_n.jpg

Two nights out but could do a week with the same setup
    Effendi, CavReconSGT, Ladybug and 5 others like this.
  19. Rock709

Rock709 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Touratech 31/38 plus a Pelican 1500 fits all that I need. Cases mount easily, easy to pack, durable and water tight. Neat and tidy, worry free riding. I’m not a fan of soft luggage.

3F129E81-582C-475C-BA72-77697E80168A.jpeg 9B7AA62E-5993-4518-BBF4-4D39A04536F8.jpeg
    Effendi, dobby, CavReconSGT and 5 others like this.
  20. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Wayne:wave

Do your tent poles fit in your panniers?
    Rock709 likes this.