let's see a picture of your camping setup and how it all fits on your bike... please

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by ClearwaterBMW, Jun 8, 2007.

1. armith

armith Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A little solo weekend in which I actually took pictures departure and campsite setup. Only thing missing was a camp shovel. I was staying at a State Park campground so I didn't need to be completely roughing it. Was completely self sufficient otherwise. 1876ee52-f240-4119-b2fe-eda6d2dd333d.jpg b534a139-5ff4-44fc-a0bc-1bb13730352a.jpg

The looks I got for picking up a small bundle of wood was fun though. 20180706_184846.jpg

I still haven't quite worked out a solid "where everything should go" system yet. So lots of inefficient packing for a single weekend. I have no doubt though, as-is, it would scale fine for a 1-2 week "off grid" adventure. Have since added a few more pieces for potential hammock camping in place of tent for very specific and short trips. Have yet the opportunity to test out the complete system to confirm viability.
    dobby and IslandMonkey like this.
  2. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like the only thing you'll need to get off grid is a completely different motorcycle. :1drink
    dobby and armith like this.
  3. prepper

prepper Been here awhile

Oddometer:

lol, probably 1/3 of what i take,,,, any chance you have a pic of everything on your bike deployed?

thnx

m
  4. Mordster

Mordster Wish I was riding, doesn't matter where to

Oddometer:
    Packed for glamping and still have room.
    7715F06B-69DF-4774-B1A0-01C6FB82E0C6.jpeg
    AB37B268-7B17-41E0-97A9-37D56E03D36C.jpeg 4D08C268-1576-4029-BA4A-9C8E609DFD84.jpeg
  5. CosmoDK

CosmoDK n00b

Oddometer:
  6. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah. You have a lot of shit you don't need:lol3
    nvklr likes this.
  7. armith

armith Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is true. But it is surprisingly capable. I haven't really dabbled into the deep throws of true off road single track life. But this little swiss army knife has no trouble with any reasonable forest service road and dirt/gravel. It is setup more as a pavement eating sport tourer, but I make do and it has always gotten me where I want to go.

I may have a go on an old vstrom 650.
    dobby and Siorc like this.
  8. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    Vstrom 650 is how I started, great bike. However, if you're planning to keep your current bike, you might want to consider something more dirt-oriented. I really liked the Wee on the road, but I suspect it will be disappointing compared to your current ride. And it doesn't sound like it would expand your off-grid capabilities too much from current.
  9. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. Abnmike

Abnmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, blanket, chair, stove, pajamas, down jacket, first aid kit, bear spray, gun, book, tent light, dinner, breakfast, thermos, two spare water bottles, hygiene kit, fuel bottle, pillow, camp shoes.

Attached Files:

TPezzy, BLucare and CavReconSGT like this.
  11. prepper

prepper Been here awhile

Oddometer:

looks to me like all the water/snow will be funneled onto the tent?
    goosecreek likes this.
  12. CosmoDK

CosmoDK n00b

Oddometer:
    On to the rainfly yes. It was more for a dry space to hang out in than to protect the tent.
    OringeKrush and prepper like this.
  13. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Went to the first Roaming Rally for a long weekend. Everything I needed fit into just my duffle. I even brought cooking stuff.
    [​IMG]
    tomcat125, Siorc, globalt38 and 2 others like this.
  14. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My camp kit has evolved over the years and as I transition through different bikes Back in the two wheel days, I had tools and necessary bits stashed on the bike. They stayed either camping or just riding. My ST1100 had more Room than the ST1300 that replaced it. The GS1200 that became my tug had even less room and tools took up valuable pannier space. The new GSA has no room any where, so added a separate tool box. Early on every thing fit in the two side cases and a top box. Tent strapped to the seat. One trip two up I built a top box to hold every thing, one time deal and dear wifey was almost comfortable. We don't two up camp any more so that box works nicely as a storage container. As I acquired more shit two dry bags took the place of the top box. I still use them with the sidecar as they work nicely to separate wet stuff from stuff I want to keep dry. They hold a lot of stuff which I take either on two wheels or three. I add a third dry bag when on three wheels which is my complete camp kitchen. I also add a nice aluminum table. I am in transition now as most of my gear is worn out or close to it. I am replacing with the idea towards comfort more than light or compact. Hense the Redverz Solo tent. I have room now:D hell I carry 30 lbs of tools and spare bits. Still the few things that don't change. Left Pannier for day to day stuff, Thermos of coffee, water, spare gloves, room for layers. Right pannier, clothes, sandals, toiletries, book. Layers when the left one is too full. Top box, Cooler (beer), Map books, computer if I take one, extra food stuff. One dry bag, sleeping bag, pillows, air mattress, Emergency kit, lanterns, dry food meals and jet boil. The other dry bag, tent, cot, Kermit chair, tent poles, small hatchet. These dry bags are ready to go on either the two wheel bike or the sidecar. The trunk of the side car is reserved for Tools, spare parts, hiking boots, fire starter, coffee pot, second jacket if I expect to need one. Misc. stuff I never need. Now that I have added the third dry bag, sidecar only, it holds my two burner Jet boil stove, two propane bottles, dishes and kitchen tools, coffee fixings. The tank bag, first aid kit, tire gauge, rain gloves, papers, Misc bits like mosquito spray, spare glasses, cleaners, you know, bits.
    ST1100
    2003_0812Image0019.JPG
    P1010047.JPG
    One two up trip I used a duffle to carry every thing, it lead to the idea of the big box. Worked but was beyond!! Chairs strapped to the top. The only thing missing was a crate of chickens.

MOA trip Found a nice place in Packwood.JPG
    2011_1008Image0050.JPG
    IMG_1334.JPG
    Loaded for Alaska
    IMG_0292.JPG
    The GS before car
    IMG_0890.JPG
    IMG_0915.JPG
    The Sidecar in the early days. This was the John day rally
    IMG_2261.JPG IMG_3388.JPG
    This is the latest soon to be Rig, I had a three week trip planned last summer with this bike but Covid messed that up
    We'll see how it evolves when this new bike gets it's side car and has even more room for stuff
    more than this
    W+B98uo4RjWpX%bk1lytpA.jpg
    Ceugster, Willsfree, BLucare and 11 others like this.
  15. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    @MGV8 now that is the best eye candy I've seen for a long time. Great post, thanks!
    MGV8 likes this.
  16. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Nice to know that bits of my old 1100 are still rolling down the road.
    Sunday Rider likes this.
  17. NCADV Rider

NCADV Rider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is our setup for two up camping. We can go as long as we like in this configuration, need to do laundry every three or four days in the lavatory somewhere. The red dry bag has our 3 person tent and ground cloth in it. The yellow bag has our sleeping bags and sleeping mats. I use a 45 degree bag if it is above 50 degrees and my wife has a much larger 30 degree bag. We also carry sleeping bag liners made of silk. The truck has our kitchen (jet boil, bowls and cups) in it with all of our food, mostly back backing dehydrated meals. My wife gets the larger pannier and carries her cloths, shoes, and two camp chairs in her bag. I carry a hatchet in my pannier along with my cloths and shoes.
    PA040133 (2).JPG
  18. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not at all sure this would work for me without some hefty stabilizer struts , but , got to give the guy an "E" for effort.

19. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Nice and compact
  20. SDR82

SDR82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice wheely-bar :D
    Would be fun to tip it over on it's left side when someone is in that coffin :lol3
    GotDammitDave and Siorc like this.