let's see a picture of your camping setup and how it all fits on your bike... please

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by ClearwaterBMW, Jun 8, 2007.

1. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Lowe's, Walmart, auto parts stores. Should be easy to find. Good luck!
  2. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rema Tip top are the best patches. For motorcycle tubes I generally use the large patch (even if it is just a nail puncture) which only one is supplied per "bicycle" sized kits. In general any "feathered edge" type patch will work. I bought a large pack of generic rectangular (1x0.75") patches many years ago off of ebay and have been using them with good success. I also use a jar of Elmer's rubber cement instead of the small tubes; saving the tubes for my ride kit.

As far as fix-a-flat goes I have never used it in a bike, but always swear that I will next time, every time I am spooning a tire on in the dirt. I have installed maybe 20-30 moto tires, the word EASY is not one that I use to describe the process. 21" front wheels is easier, but an 18 or 17 rear is not.

With a 2nd set of hands it took us just over an hour start to finish to fix this flat the last time I had one. This was with a Shinko 244, which is one of the easier tires to spoon. I just installed a 120/18 TUSK DSport and it was a bear, working on a stand in my garage with full size plastic handled iron.
    20201107_142203.jpg
    20210722_224026.jpg
    20210722_172306.jpg
    Whiteeyelashes likes this.
  3. solitary1

solitary1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try a tractor supplies place for a patch kit.
    gpfan likes this.
  4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah bicycle shops. I hat Walmart but if needs must...
  5. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Don’t rely on those old little tubes of patch glue. I went to use an unopened one and it had evaporated. Buy a new one for the tool kit each year and leave the old one in the garage.
    goosecreek and bomber60015 like this.
  6. ScottTheFalcon

ScottTheFalcon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went camping with my brother the other day an took some photos to share. We've been talking about this for a while - haven't been motorcycle camping since I was a kid. We both brought enough each for standalone camping but obviously we could pare it down some when camping together.

The first photo is the bike loaded. There's 35 litre per side Givi panniers for the bulk of the gear, and a Hepco rear bag, about 20 litres for all the personals like toiletries and clothes. Not pictured was the firewood I had to bring in, carried from the last town, on the pillion seat:

2021-07-28 15.19.19.jpg

Then unpacked:

2021-07-28 15.26.24.jpg

Behind the left pannier is the camping furniture - footprint and tent, self inflating mattress, down sleeping bag, Helinox chair and table, and a tarp.
    The right pannier held all the other stuff. A plastic Decor bowl (for washing up) holds a nesting pot, pan, lid, pop up bowl and cup, JetBoil burner and small stuff. There's a 750ml titanium cup for water and stores the smaller spare gas bottle. There's a larger gas bottle and various packet foods and a bag with all the small miscellanea like cutlery, rope, camp light, coffee etc. Then there's tent poles, water and an IceMule which carries the all important 6 pack, cold foods and ice :)

It's all pretty light except for the IceMule, and that's just what it holds. I think as long as I could restock beer and cold foods reasonably often I can't see why this rig couldn't be ongoing. And it's pretty comfortable.
  7. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride, One Corner At A Time

Oddometer:
    is that a 40L Mosko duffel? Been thinking about taking my OEM hard topbox off my GSA and buying one of those.
  8. gpfan

gpfan a mari usque ad mare

Oddometer:
    Lovely bike.
    Glidedon, Dougzone, RozzyCat and 2 others like this.
  9. skibum69

Oddometer:
    You're saying the Elmers rubber cement works on regular patches?
  10. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    You want a rubber cement. I buy one of these each year. Already used 3x this year on bicycle tubes. At Princess Auto (like Harbour Freight)or Canadian Tire.

Attached Files:

11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I'll look for it.
  12. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    YES. Rubber cement is rubber cement. I have been doing this for 15 years. I buy one of these every 5 years or so. It will eventually dry out. Gets a little thick after a few years but fine. When it gets very thick I throw it out and buy a new bottle.
    1402099.jpg
  13. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Right. I found some tire focused rubber cement at Canadian Tire today. Thanks.
    Sunday Rider likes this.
  14. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it is. Never liked the idea of hard top boxes.
    bomber60015 and Tor like this.
  15. Cromoth

Cromoth fan of the magic carpet ride

Oddometer:
  16. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fucking fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    gpfan likes this.
  17. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I spent the day in the rain, there was some water on the top of my tent this am in the rain, not sure where it came from. Probably the rain and not condensation as I had the vents open. Damn!
  18. HuckIt

HuckIt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Setup from a recent fly and ride to pick up my new-to-me Tiger XC. All camping gear (tent, sleeping pad, inflatable pillow, sleeping bag/liner) packed into the dry bag and strapped down with two quick straps, clothes in the small duffle held on with a cargo net, and misc quick access stuff in the tank bag. Will be nice to eventually set the bike up with some hard cases but this set up will work in the mean time. PXL_20210731_144222227.jpg PXL_20210731_225240638.MP.jpg
    nvklr, Kinsman, AlfromNH and 16 others like this.
  19. kleinton

kleinton n00b

Oddometer:
    dinner time

Attached Files:

• 18.jpg
      18.jpg
      File size:
      149.4 KB
      Views:
  20. OleShep

OleShep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_20210722_1808544.jpg

Humm my text got dropped. This is my setup for multiday trip. Left Pannier has all camping gear, right is clothes, top box is misc.. However we did not camp on this trip since my riding buddy is camping averse.. :doh
    Ladybug, markinthailand and globalt38 like this.