lets see ur bike carrying extra fuel

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Wistrick, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    One liter MSR bottle under left Saddlebag. Serves as backup stove fuel too.

[​IMG]
  2. funinthesun

funinthesun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    (2) 1.5L on right (primus with touratech holder)
    .6L just right of center. (msr small with cheap bicycle water holder and cheap staps)
    Left side is fire ext. and could be water or another 1 - 1.5L (have msr 1L bottle, mount is nice adjustable water bottle holder)
    1 - 1.5 gallon extra or 50-70 miles:clap Plus they all run my stove

[​IMG]
  3. New englander

New englander Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a rotopax stuffed behind one of my givi cases, fits nicely and I can just get it out without putting the bike on the center stand

[​IMG]
    chevtech likes this.
  4. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    One 3.78 litre (1 US gallon) Rotopax :D

[​IMG]

And (kind of seems like cheating a little bit lol) a 5 litre jerry can in the front trunk. :lol3

[​IMG]

I could fit more fuel in there easily with some added MSR bottles, but this little trip didn't see any need. Plus I had another litre of fuel for my MSR Whisperlite stove anyway, so it is also available in case of emergency.

With a smidge over 2 gallons, that represents about 150 miles extra distance or so, pretty easily.

Note: It does get a wee bit warm in the NCX's "frunk", but nowhere near what I would consider uncomfortable or worrisome, and I did actually have the jerry can inside a separate cordura bag.
  5. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    LBS, what hand guards are you running on that thing? BTW thats the best looking NC I've ever seen. A friend of mine picked one up on my advice after his brand new F800R got taken out by a left turning idiot.

Although it doesn't have the power and oomph of his last few rides he really likes it as a commuter, which is what he was after. He also loves the 70mpg
  6. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you :1drink

They are some generic ebay cheap knock-off of an older Acerbis style, I think? I sprayed them with black PlastiDip. :D

I traded in my 2009 BMW F800ST for the NCX.

Aside from all the continual electrical failures, Exxon Valdez oil spewing, coolant spewing, and poor fit and finish, the dealers robbing me blind was the last straw. I commented before the NCX even came out, that I would happily trade a 30 horsepower drop, if it meant better mpg's or larger fuel tank. (barring the bike miraculously stopping being a piece of crap, of course :lol3)

Not meaning to insult other BMW owners or F800 owners, they were a very wonderful group of folks and I still miss interacting with 'em :cry
  7. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    It's probably going to be my next bike. The only thing I absolutely hate is where the fuel filler is located. Does it get on your nerves when you're hauling a duffel on the back seat?

A custom drop in aux fuel cell in the frunk would be really really slick.
  8. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will not lie; the F800's fuel filler was in some ways better being on the side of the bike, but it too, for me, had a few drawbacks for accessing when I had saddlebags 'n luggage and stuff all lashed on.

Curiously enough, I kind of credit my ST for saving me any hassle with filling up the NC700. With that bike, I learned to strap my luggage to the F800's *seat* rather than just over the seat and tieing off or looping the hold down straps to anchor points on the bike.

I employ the same method with the NC, now. I lay the bag/s on the seat, and then pass the straps (two "endless" 1" mini ratchet straps) under the seat, and around the luggage.

With the 800, I could unlock and remove the seat with the duffles attached to it, to get at the storage or the tool needed to take the fake tank cowling off, to retrieve my flat fixing kit.

The NCX, I don't have to do anything different, when it comes to fueling up. It's still simply a matter of turning the key and flipping the seat back, like normal. The luggage stays tightly strapped to the seat, and I don't have to remove it or fiddle with it.

Now, if I were to stack up gear on the rear seat like a leaning tower of Pizza,(snort, lol) well the ratchet straps come undone in literally 5 seconds, and cinch up again just as quick, so I'm all good for any eventuality. :clap
  9. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is my NC700x with a 1.75 gallon RotoPax on the rear rack. With two 1.75 units stacked the bike has 460 miles worth of fuel on board. Free RotoPax tip: If you dislike the spring-loaded safety valves as much as I do, the replacement vented nozzles from the water packs can be used on the gas packs for a pre-government involvement solution (notice the yellow plug in the center of the cap instead of a black one).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. beemerphile

Oddometer:
    Here is my R75/6 with a one gallon RotoPax on the otherwise worthless small rear rack. I have the piggyback extension kit for a second 1 gallon can. The mount is a standard RotoPax mount attached with a couple of 15mm Rail-Mount Polypropylene Beta Series Clamp part number B365303 from Global Industrial...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. beemerphile

Oddometer:
    Here is my R1150R with a 5 gallon aluminum fuel cell from Summit Racing with a custom cover by LindaT. Shown on the Dalton, the Dempster, and after a good bath...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. ERD

ERD Custom Rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

One liter MSR bottle in the Tool Tube mounted under each saddle bag for a total of 2 liters of extra fuel.
  13. N-m

N-m Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer:
    Too Far from My Welder and BMW in South TN.
    Can someone point me to the thread that describes the fix for the EPA spout? Mine worked one time and then the spring popped out. Now I can't use that spout unless I figure something out. A switch to the water spout may be in order.
  14. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

i dont need extra fuel i have 35l
  15. Screaming Chicken

Screaming Chicken Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still, a bit extra doesn't hurt:

[​IMG]
  16. beemerphile

Oddometer:
  17. abhi

abhi XC on RE

Oddometer:
    2 Five liter cans, strapped on behind the luggage. Tied down well. Needed only for 2 legs of the ride where there were no fuel pumps and wayy off the main roads.
    [​IMG]
    The trail to Spagmik
  18. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tree hugger sack for me:

[​IMG]

Folds up to nothing when not in use.
    outwestrider likes this.
  19. Llamaha

Llamaha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honestly I love this setup so much, I also have the WR250X with dual sport knobbies and I just ordered the safari tank but unfortunately we can't get the trailers here in Oz.. :(
  20. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:
    we can but the ~$200 freight is a deal breaker (at least it was for me) :evil